Dark Souls

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
TheBranded1 said:
this time I decided to make Artorias greatsword. I'm liking it.
I have his sword, just not the stats to use it... :farnese: It doesn't seem so great to me, but I can't deny that it would feel badass wielding that thing around.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
I have his sword, just not the stats to use it... :farnese: It doesn't seem so great to me, but I can't deny that it would feel badass wielding that thing around.

it is not the greatest sword in the game, but if you upgrade it to +5 it is considerably strong. I also think aesthetically it doesn't look as cumbersome or too big as the dragon sword, or hammers.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Don't forget the tail.

Thanks for the heads up. I got the weapon but getting it is no easy task. The boss itself was incredibly easy for me but getting the tail is a bit tricky. You can only hit it about 2-3 times before he will do a tail sweep and nearly kill you. The weapon weighs 24 pounds, as Walter said, there is no point in getting it since you can't use it till your near the end of the game. I also have the Black Knights sword, does anyone know how high your strengh and dexterity have to be to use it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
slan69 said:
I also have the Black Knights sword, does anyone know how high your strengh and dexterity have to be to use it?
20 str., 18 dex. It shows you if you check the item description in-game.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
TheBranded1 said:
yeah, I was unfair to Bob about it. I have been playing with regular weapons on my 3 playthroughs, but this time I decided to make Artorias greatsword. I'm liking it.

It's cool Bro. Right now as I see it Londo is infested and I'm the exterminator. :badbone:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Finally beat Manus and Kalameet in one play today. Kalameet was easy, I didn't go for the tail but I just wanted to beat it. Manus was a bit harder, because of the limited space, but other than their strenght to give high damage their attack pattern isn't that great. I also decided to take on a fight with Jester and got his gear.

So go and talk to the Mushroom and warp to talk to Dusk's summon sign :guts:

With the black knight sword
darksoulsd.jpg

Sword of Artorias, all those swords also reminded me of the scene in volume 21

darksouls1.jpg

darksouls2f.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
So Executioner Smough and Dragon Slayer Ornstein are killing my character and my relationship with my girlfriend. What do I do?
Here's what I did:

Walter said:
I took out Ornstein first, since he was easiest to draw away from Smough. After that, just whittled Smough away over time.

My guy, GAISERIC, is a dex-heavy melee with a taste for curved swords, now using a newly minted Queelag's Furysword+2. My armor isn't the best, so I depend on rolling and timing to survive most fights. Some others spec as tanks, like Aaz, or casters like a friend of mine, and have less trouble on other fights.
The trick is to focus on only one of them, and draw them away from each other, using the columns to split them up, or keep fatty busy with his slow attacks while youre off in a corner pounding Ornstein.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Thanks Walt! I am happy to report that I beat Smough and Ornstein to death with a sword.

Additionally, I've killed the Stray Demon, Undead Dragon, Moonlight Butterfly, and the Hydra.

So I finished Darks Souls last night, the final boss was incredibly easy for me, it took me literally 20 seconds to kill him. I was a little dissapointed in how abruptly it ended and showed the credits, but I guess there wasn't much else to show really. I was happy to see that Motoi Sakuraba was the composer for this game, I would have never guessed.

slan69 said:
So I finished Darks Souls last night, the final boss was incredibly easy for me, it took me literally 20 seconds to kill him. I was a little dissapointed in how abruptly it ended and showed the credits, but I guess there wasn't much else to show really. I was happy to see that Motoi Sakuraba was the composer for this game, I would have never guessed.

Your new favorite game from 2011?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
slan69 said:
So I finished Darks Souls last night, the final boss was incredibly easy for me, it took me literally 20 seconds to kill him.
*Shrug* Different mileage for everyone, I suppose. As I said earlier in the thread, some bosses were extremely tough for me (let's say, Boss A), and others easy (call him Boss B), and I read online that people had the exact opposite experience, Boss B was a bitch, and Boss A was a breeze.

I was a little dissapointed in how abruptly it ended and showed the credits, but I guess there wasn't much else to show really.
And indeed, the ending is abrupt (well, depending on which one you got--yes, there are two endings), but I didn't really expect much more than that by the end of that game. Anyway, the coolest stuff about the world is in the details of Dark Souls, not the final destination.

As for not much else to show, I would have appreciated a quick glimpse into what that next new age would look like. Think FF7's ending with Red XIII in Midgar.

Looks like we will know more about Dark Souls 2 on Thursday!
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dark-Souls-2-More-Information-Coming-April-11th-54404.html

Regarding the story in Dark Souls 1 I highly suggest people to watch the videos from:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya?feature=watch

All his DS videos are pretty damn good and there was a lot of info I didn't know about. If anyone want to coop a new playthrough with some fun builds/restrictions I am ready (PC version) :rakshas:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I'm excited! I beat Dark Souls just a minute ago for the first time and and i must say it was a (mostly) fun experience. :serpico:

Congrats Truder ! Just in time for the new Dark Souls 2 news landing on the 11th!

Just posting a freaking awesome video that was posted today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi44ajVrmSE&list=HL1365479247&feature=mh_lolz

Someone pointed out that Dark Souls/Demons Souls was influenced by Berserk, not sure if this has been discussed here before but here is a picture of it.

Not sure if this was said by the Director or if it's fans spotting similarities but interesting nonetheless.

Quote from Miyazaki
"During that period I asked him to produce some fantasy armour, and among his designs there was a large, overweight character like Bazuso from Berserk."

I think it's pretty clear that Berserk influenced the artists and the director a great deal, just another reason to love the Soul series.

2360331-1317501018006.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I do think there's a connection to Berserk in the Souls series, but it's not what I'd call a fundamental one. And the ones depicted in the picture are pretty weak and superfluous connections at best.

Iron maidens aren't exclusive to Berserk, and neither are musty tombs filled with torture chambers. Salamanders were legendary creatures associated with fire long before Berserk came along; that winged creature bears little resemblance to the one specifically portrayed in the Qliphoth; and that demon baby is quite a bit different from the one we know in Berserk

BUT ... there are quite a lot of comparisons that could be made to Berserk in Dark Souls. The one most people readily compare is Artorias to Guts when Berserk's Armor has been unleashed. There's also a blacksmith named Rickert (I mean, come on, can we rest our case...?), theres a hill of swords of sorts; the "wheelies" in the Catacombs are straight out of Volume 18, and the "cursed darksign," sure does sound like the brand. And there's also one that occurred to me during the podcast this week, Ganishka reincarnated compared to The Bed of Chaos. That one's less apparent visually than thematically.

When you get down to it, both Berserk and the Souls series are just great fantasy worlds that likely drew from the same well. So it makes sense they'd have some kind of relationship. But personally, I think most of the connections I've listed above are indeed homages to Berserk.

It's also why any serious Berserk fan should at least give Dark Souls a try... :daiba:

PS: I could probably talk about Berserk and Dark Souls all day...
skullyON.gif

I love the Soul's series, though I have not played it since I finally beat it awhile ago. It loved every minute of this frustrating, rage inducing game. Same with Demon Soul's.

I ran through both as a heavy armor, 2 handed sword wielding knight. Couldn't dodge for shit but I could do a slug fest pretty well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For those who have beaten the game, I discovered a 3D Map viewer, where you can see how all the different regions of the game are interconnected, and explore them up close from an overhead perspective.

I recorded a video that starts off zoomed in on the game's final area, then zooms out. Incredible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAAeigKO-7E&feature=youtu.be

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
For those who have beaten the game, I discovered a 3D Map viewer, where you can see how all the different regions of the game are interconnected, and explore them up close from an overhead perspective.

I recorded a video that starts off zoomed in on the game's final area, then zooms out. Incredible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAAeigKO-7E&feature=youtu.be

That's pretty neat. The level design in that game was superb.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Souls for PC is just $12 this weekend at GreenManGaming (will give you a code to use on Steam).

Link: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/dark-souls-prepare-die-edition-na/
Use this at checkout: GMG20-JLKSA-7A8HA

As I've said many times before on the podcast, this game is worth many times this amount.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Started playing Dark Souls again to work my way through the DLC (nope, I still haven't finished it).
Manus
does not fuck around!

It's amazing to me how each successive boss in Dark Souls (with a few exceptions) seems like the toughest in the game. When really, it's just an illusion as you're still learning their patterns and movements.

The DLC has a very cool zone, and they populated it with some of the coolest parts of the DS lore. Very pleased.

Update: Just beat it. Wow, brutal final fight in the DLC. Just finished it all. It should definitely be played by fans of the game... This means you, Aaz. :azan:

Top Bottom