Dark Souls

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Objectively though the Drake Sword is completely overpowered on a first playthrough and there's hardly a better choice at that point in the game.
It is for the first 30-40 levels I'd say. By that point, there are better options, and it has everything to do with the fact that the weapon doesn't scale. I think there are a number of overpowered weapons in the game, the Drake Sword just being among them. Maybe even in the lower tier. It just gets a lot of attention because it's the FIRST one you come across, and most people (90% or so I'd say) only know about it through the Internet.

Walter said:
It is for the first 30-40 levels I'd say. By that point, there are better options, and it has everything to do with the fact that the weapon doesn't scale. I think there are a number of overpowered weapons in the game, the Drake Sword just being among them. Maybe even in the lower tier. It just gets a lot of attention because it's the FIRST one you come across, and most people (90% or so I'd say) only know about it through the Internet.
I guess it would suit me best atm ,since I prefer being more on defensive with my knight atm. I don't think that a lot of people actually would think of attacking dragons tail ,I kinda felt like trying that but had crosbow without arrows and accidently killed the npc who was seeling arrows ,I recklessly destroyed those creates and thought he was a mob ,so yeah ,he's dead and won't respawn. Though I'll try getting some at blacksmith. I think there was some greatsword you could get fairly soon at beginning too Grave-something sword I think,I think it was releated to first covenant.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:
Though I'll try getting some at blacksmith.
There are plenty of NPCs that sell arrows. Don't worry. Also, I rarely used arrows. I can really only think of one scenario, and it only required a few.

I think there was some greatsword you could get fairly soon at beginning too Grave-something sword I think,I think it was releated to first covenant.
That's not too early in the game. It's also one of the weirder weapons you can get. Not super-practical, in my opinion.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
It is for the first 30-40 levels I'd say. By that point, there are better options, and it has everything to do with the fact that the weapon doesn't scale.

Until you find the lightning spear, if you upgrade it a bit.

Walter said:
I think there are a number of overpowered weapons in the game, the Drake Sword just being among them. Maybe even in the lower tier. It just gets a lot of attention because it's the FIRST one you come across

That's what I'm saying.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
*Shrug* I never used it. I don't like spears. But yeah, good base damage on that, but doesn't scale.

It's funny for a while, different. But yeah I moved on from it quickly enough myself. I like swords better. :guts:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Lukis said:
I think there was some greatsword you could get fairly soon at beginning too Grave-something sword I think,I think it was releated to first covenant.

Yeah, the Gravelord sword (it's a curved great sword). You can suicide run into the catacombs and get it if you know what you're doing. If you're good you can get it within 10 minutes of starting a new game. Problem is it takes a lot to wield, and even then you'll be two-handing it for awhile. Its got some great power for early game, but that's balanced out by being vulnerable and slow, but its moveset is great since it's got a thrust (heavy attack).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
that's balanced out by being vulnerable and slow, but its moveset is great since it's got a thrust (heavy attack).
Thrust is nice, but that's pretty much all that sword has going for it. The other moves are too slow for them to be practical, particularly for someone on their very first run. I consider it one of the many gimmick swords in the game.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I saw this game on XBL. I've read reviews of its difficulty and seems like it would be something hard to get in to.

I have a bunch of credit on XBL, so I think I might give it a shot.

Love this game. Its really addictive, in a good way. There are parts where you must be online to get through. I won't give spoilers, but its a very complex game, lots of dungeons, secret passages, hidden paths. All the while. everything on the screen is trying to kill you.

It took me a couple hours to get the "feel" of the game. The PVE and PVP is definitely not easy. Through and through , its a gem of a game.

I'm currently on the DLC path on PC , the quest of Knight Artorias etc.
I love how the story is not "in your face" You must seek the story , and its a beautiful tale, truly an amazing RPG.

Ps . for anyone that is interested in getting figures/statues, this guy was the official sculptor for the limited edition statues, hes currently making more characters :

https://www.facebook.com/PeterNordstromOriginalStatues?fref=ts

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I saw this game on XBL. I've read reviews of its difficulty and seems like it would be something hard to get in to.
Most people overstate its difficulty. The game doesn't hold your hand, so at first it appears extremely challenging. But it gets easier as you become more comfortable with the way the game is played.

Hard to get into? Yeah. But my it's my favorite game of this past generation. Learning the ropes is just the payment for entry to an absolutely amazing game.

Sankari said:
There are parts where you must be online to get through.
I've yet to use player help (PvE) at all, and I'm on my 5th playthrough.

It took me a couple hours to get the "feel" of the game. The PVE and PVP is definitely not easy. Through and through , its a gem of a game.
Yeah, I'd say it was about 5-6 hours before the game had really sunk its teeth into me, and after that point I was just in love. Before that, the game felt awkward, the systems were (and still are!) weird and unclear, and the lore hard to piece together. But give it time.

I love how the story is not "in your face" You must seek the story , and its a beautiful tale, truly an amazing RPG.
I have a love/hate relationship with it, personally. It bugs me that to fully understand the story you have to really be a hawk for item descriptions, and really it requires two or three playthroughs if you want to get EVERYTHING understood. That being said, there's nothing like figuring something out yourself, and having the world design itself tell its story without words.

Ps . for anyone that is interested in getting figures/statues, this guy was the official sculptor for the limited edition statues, hes currently making more characters :

https://www.facebook.com/PeterNordstromOriginalStatues?fref=ts
These are fantastic, thanks! I might just get the Artorias bust for my desk.

Got some free time (off from work and caught up with my movie marathon) to play the game today. At Undead Burg now and it's pretty challenging overall. I think I lost my Shield and Flask cos I died about 3 times trying to get past that Asylum Demon, it's kinda scary ='( ... oh I'm playing Knight class. From the educational stuff (red parts in the game), I was told about locking on a target but I couldn't find a button for it on the joystick, any tip? Same with the jump attack.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Got some free time (off from work and caught up with my movie marathon) to play the game today. At Undead Burg now and it's pretty challenging overall. I think I lost my Shield and Flask cos I died about 3 times trying to get past that Asylum Demon, it's kinda scary ='( ... oh I'm playing Knight class.
You don't lose equipment or flasks regardless of how you play. When you die and can't retrieve your soul, you'll lose whatever souls and humanity you're actively carrying. The earliest parts of the game are among the most challenging, for sure, because you're still learning how to play. When in doubt, play super cautiously.

From the educational stuff (red parts in the game), I was told about locking on a target but I couldn't find a button for it on the joystick, any tip? Same with the jump attack.

To lock on, push the right analog stick in (it's also a button). To jump, hold B to run, then release it and tap B again to jump. It takes some getting used to, for sure, but there are only a handful occasions where you'll actually need to jump... A jump attack though, is just forward+R2 (right trigger for 360 controller) for most weapons.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
After a four month hiatus, I’m back playing Dark Souls and, well, holy crap.
Getting back into the game is easy, but I was surprised just how easy things felt. For example, I killed Sif on my first try.

With only the Four Kings and Seath left, I set out to complete the DLC. So I got into the sanctuary, where I was reminded how hard this game could be. I killed the Guardian—after five deaths—then left for the Royal Woods without any idea as to what I should expect, which smoothly transitioned into three Gardeners and two Stone Guardians fighting me at once. I killed one Gardener, while evading a dozen hammer swipes, and then ran far enough ahead of the Stone Guardians so I could create distance to kill the other two Gardeners. While the Guardians approached, I chopped up the two remaining Gardeners when suddenly I was stabbed in the back by another Gardener. At this point, I was on the ridge, next to the bridge leading to the Sanctuary, trying to kill-evade-heal when suddenly I get an invasion notification. At this point, I’m sure of my (character’s) imminent demise. I ran behind the Guardians to isolate the one remaining Gardener, killing it, then I bring down the two Guardians. With the area clear, I stayed on the ridge, it felt safe, but mostly because I figured that I could retreat to the lower level if things started getting tough or use the bridge to create a tight area for fighting, which I had hoped it would limit the invader’s mobility.

By this point I had been invaded for about 5 minutes, which was odd considering that I had yet to see the invader. Still on the ridge, in the open, close to the tree line, I see what looks like a cursed player statue. I start walking towards it when suddenly it turned into the invader. The fight goes pretty well for the Invader, but badly for me: I got back stabbed twice. Low on health, I ended up successfully rolling off the ridge onto the area blow. I managed to heal but that was nullified immediately as the invader nearly killed me with a plunging attack, after which I landed two heavy swings. Nearly dead, I dodged more of his attacks, including holy missile, and landed a few more heavy hits, when I hear the vanquishing sound. With this victory—acquiring 7,380 souls and one humanity—I trot back to the bonfire next to Elizabeth, repair my equipment, and then shut off my 360.

I love this game.

For the record, I believe that the rest of the DLC is harder than the main game, so if you don't want to be too over powered later, you might do the 4 kings first before completing it. Just one man's opinion

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
For the record, I believe that the rest of the DLC is harder than the main game, so if you don't want to be too over powered later, you might do the 4 kings first before completing it. Just one man's opinion
I didn't think the DLC areas were that difficult, but it does contain two of the game's toughest bosses.

I wouldn't say they are that difficult either, but that by comparison, to me it seems that the avg enemy in the new londo ruins is noticeably weaker than the avg enemy in the Artorias DLC

The time has come ,I have been playing it a lot ,exploring a lot and staying away from guides and such and finally I am at Gwyn. Tried to take him on a few times but failed ,at most I managed to get around 50% of his health. I was wondering if I should should choose equipment with higher fire def. Gwyn is quite restless and I noticed he manages to leave some fire dmg. atm I wearing Havels Helm ,Black Knights chestpiece,gloves and Havels Leg piece. All of them are around +4 ,I am using Black Knights Halbred + 5 and Tower Shield +5,ring of steel protection and Havels ring. I also have flame stoneplate ring,and other which boost resistance.

O

Obscure

Lukis said:
The time has come ,I have been playing it a lot ,exploring a lot and staying away from guides and such and finally I am at Gwyn. Tried to take him on a few times but failed ,at most I managed to get around 50% of his health. I was wondering if I should should choose equipment with higher fire def. Gwyn is quite restless and I noticed he manages to leave some fire dmg. atm I wearing Havels Helm ,Black Knights chestpiece,gloves and Havels Leg piece. All of them are around +4 ,I am using Black Knights Halbred + 5 and Tower Shield +5,ring of steel protection and Havels ring. I also have flame stoneplate ring,and other which boost resistance.

I tried to parry as many of his attacks and used the hornets ring for extra critical damage. It's a quite difficult method and it took many deaths to pull it off.
(Tips from a Dark Souls noob) :daiba:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:

There is a key mechanic in Dark Souls against humanoid enemies that is not necessary to beat the game but that makes it much easier and to which Gwyn is quite vulnerable. I'm leaving it at that in case you want to find it out by yourself, but if you still draw a blank:
ripostes

I have a few DS questions that have bothering me for a while if anyone would be kind enough to enlighten me.

1) The Dragon Breath, after using the Dragon Stone. Is its fire breath power increased due to how much Humanity you have active or is its power increased by how many dragon scales you offer up? Is it the same way with the Dragon Torso?

2) The Eye of Death, how does it exactly affect other players worlds? Stronger enemies? Is there a huge difference in the enemies difficulty?

3) You can stack magic and miracles allowing more uses but not rings effecting your stats. However, I stack the Serpent ring and the treasure chest helmet, both of which increase item drop. I wonder if the stats have stacked in doing such.

4) Whats typically is the best defensive item against the Black Mages, as I don't have the DLC, thus I'm not sure if I can equip anything to really put a great defense against these guys. If my magic defense is all I got in terms of defense I must say the Black Mages powers are hugely over powered.

5) Apparently, you can't learn sorcery unless your a sorcery class, is this correct? I been playing one character for the past 112 hours and haven't experimented a lot with abilities and such of particular classes.

Aazealh said:
There is a key mechanic in Dark Souls against humanoid enemies that is not necessary to beat the game but that makes it much easier and to which Gwyn is quite vulnerable. I'm leaving it at that in case you want to find it out by yourself, but if you still draw a blank:
ripostes
I am more of butt stabbing so I usually didn't riposte much ,but actually tried for few times and managed to pull off killing him ,so thanks. Now I guess ,I have to play some ng+ , buy dlc and then wait for March :slan:
@DMD
2) It summonned some mobs from that Covenant to that world I think.
5) You can use it. In Firelink shrine there was a guy who offered some sorcery spells for you to buy and a staff or smt for you to cast them ,use also depends on how high your wisdom is. Same goes for pyromancy ,buy glove from dude in Firelink shrine and you will be able to use pyromancy.

Lukis said:
I am more of butt stabbing so I usually didn't riposte much ,but actually tried for few times and managed to pull off killing him ,so thanks. Now I guess ,I have to play some ng+ , buy dlc and then wait for March :slan:
@DMD
2) It summonned some mobs from that Covenant to that world I think.
5) You can use it. In Firelink shrine there was a guy who offered some sorcery spells for you to buy and a staff or smt for you to cast them ,use also depends on how high your wisdom is. Same goes for pyromancy ,buy glove from dude in Firelink shrine and you will be able to use pyromancy.

I've been trying to get the tail of Black Dragon Kalameet ( from the DLC)
Died 12 times and still couldnt cut his tail. I dont want to kill him before I get it.

Top Bottom