What's in a name?

X

Xem

Okay my head is constantly twirling around with ideas related to Berserk. They fly around all jumbled up and lost and usually find no fruition, and when they do, often they fail.

So, I decided I'd go ahead and ask about what some of you thought about one of the really really simple ones that's been particularly bugging me. Also note that I asked another Berserk fan what they thought and they kinda went ahead and pushed my motivation forward to posting it here.

Anyway, and I did a search and am almost positive no one as has ever asked this before, at least not here. Miura seems to have some direction when it comes to names. When I say that I mean I don't think he just randomly chooses them because they sound cool or are the names of his cats and dogs. He seems to have usually some tie with the name and the character/place/object he creates. Guts is a great example.

That said, what about Skull Knight? I realize and agree that all signs point to him most likely being King Gaesiric, but what if he wasn't? And what if our first clue was right in front of us? What if he was a Knight of some sort? I know anything is possible but it really gets a certain gear in my head turning that just won't fucking stop (probably the meds I'm on - prescribed btw), so let's hear your thoughts.... even if it's, "You're stupid.", I won't entirely disagree. For one, there's the big encounter with Slan, where she refers to him as "Your Majesty", or, "Your Highness" or something or other.... so that's a hole in my theory right there. I would also like to point out he pretty much just called her a prostitute, so it may have been reciprocated sarcasm.

:badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Anyway, and I did a search and am almost positive no one as has ever asked this before, at least not here. Miura seems to have some direction when it comes to names. When I say that I mean I don't think he just randomly chooses them because they sound cool or are the names of his cats and dogs. He seems to have usually some tie with the name and the character/place/object he creates. Guts is a great example.

We've talked about this before I believe, but that's not important. Does he name characters with a specific purpose in mind? Sometimes there's a reference, yeah. See "Guts" like you said, or "Puck" for example. But I don't think that's true of all names. And there's no meaning behind it other than said reference. To take another example, "Slan" or "Ubik" vaguely refer to A. E. van Vogt and P. K. Dick's novels, but that's all there is to it. Furthermore, while sometimes there's a reference, there also often isn't. "Charlotte" doesn't refer to anything specific as far as I can tell. Nor does "Rickert" or "Owen".

So overall I wouldn't think too much about it if I were you. Miura will do things just because they're cool; he's said so before (while explaining why Berserk isn't meant to have any kind of historical credibility) and I don't see anything wrong with that. Not every single aspect of the manga has to have some deeper meaning to it.

Deci said:
That said, what about Skull Knight? I realize and agree that all signs point to him most likely being King Gaesiric, but what if he wasn't? And what if our first clue was right in front of us? What if he was a Knight of some sort?

Uhhh... That's not really related to your first point, is it? But anyway, the Skull Knight is very probably Gaiseric. Being a "knight" doesn't mean he can't have been Gaiseric at some point. As for his name, it is among other things a reference to his age and all that he's been through, as the original Japanese word used for "skull" in his name is, to be perfectly exact, translated as a "weathered skull". Really, there are many things, subtle or not, that point at this. The very first time Gaiseric is mentioned at all, for example. No use pursuing this line of thought in my opinion.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Johnstantine said:
The coolest name in the series is obviously Wyald.
LQLZW.jpg

Would you wear this on a shirt?
idea by me, actual creation by Aaz like over a year ago

Dar Klink said:
If I was at some meeting where there are other Berserk fans so I wouldn't have to be afraid of most people looking like "wtf is that...?", then I'd definitely would. :guts:

Awesome idea!
The idea of making SK.net custom t-shirts and having this on them just came up in my mind...

Back to the topic... I always wondered where does Judo's name come from... Does it have to do anything with the martial art (like in case of Silat) or is it just a coincidence / misspelling? Because I saw Judo written in lots of different ways (e.g. Judeau), but I read that "Judo" is most likely to be the official...
And if it's not the martial art, where does it come from?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gillia said:
Back to the topic... I always wondered where does Judo's name come from... Does it have to do anything with the martial art (like in case of Silat) or is it just a coincidence / misspelling? Because I saw Judo written in lots of different ways (e.g. Judeau), but I read that "Judo" is most likely to be the official...
And if it's not the martial art, where does it come from?

We don't know where it comes from, nor is there a 100% sure Miura-approved spelling for it (but it's spelled "Judo" in official Japanese publications).

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
We've talked about this before I believe, but that's not important. Does he name characters with a specific purpose in mind? Sometimes there's a reference, yeah. See "Guts" like you said, or "Puck" for example. But I don't think that's true of all names. And there's no meaning behind it other than said reference. To take another example, "Slan" or "Ubik" vaguely refer to A. E. van Vogt and P. K. Dick's novels, but that's all there is to it. Furthermore, while sometimes there's a reference, there also often isn't. "Charlotte" doesn't refer to anything specific as far as I can tell. Nor does "Rickert" or "Owen".

So overall I wouldn't think too much about it if I were you. Miura will do things just because they're cool; he's said so before (while explaining why Berserk isn't meant to have any kind of historical credibility) and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Yeah I immediately backtracked on my thoughts and realized that many names are simply chosen because he chose them, the first one that came to my mind was Serpico. Then I thought about Femto.

Uhhh... That's not really related to your first point, is it?

Sadly yeah, my point was quite simple and one-dimensional. His name is Skull Knight, maybe he was just a knight. And not a King. Otherwise why wasn't he called Skull King?! That's it. :troll:

Don't worry, I've got plenty more ideas just as rediculous as that one. :carcus:

But anyway, the Skull Knight is very probably Gaiseric. Being a "knight" doesn't mean he can't have been Gaiseric at some point. As for his name, it is among other things a reference to his age and all that he's been through, as the original Japanese word used for "skull" in his name is, to be perfectly exact, translated as a "weathered skull". Really, there are many things, subtle or not, that point at this. The very first time Gaiseric is mentioned at all, for example. No use pursuing this line of thought in my opinion.

'Kay thanks, but I doubt it'll put my mind to complete ease on the subject, though I concede it for no further discussion.

Instead, I'd like to leave the thread open to discussing name relevance in general.. as... people, er, are already doing. :farnese:

Not every single aspect of the manga has to have some deeper meaning to it.

I still haven't dropped my beherit overthought. Still haven't come up with a good, or even good-looking, theory yet however. ONE DAY.

Back to names. Has anyone noticed the use of names with first letter G in this series? From my understanding name's starting in G are relatively less common in classic language, but in this series it's taken a front seat.

Guts
Godot
Griffith
Ganishka
God Hand (a stretch I know)
Gaiseric
Grunbeld
Gaston

That's all I could think of off the top of my head, let me know if I missed someone. It crossed my mind that, relating to my other latest thread in this section, this series could've been called simply G.
Anyway, possibly some signifigance? Probably not, but interesting nonetheless.

Oooh, and to answer Dar Klink.
YES, YES I WOULD!
Still waiting for SK.net official gear btw... just sayin'!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I still haven't dropped my beherit overthought. Still haven't come up with a good, or even good-looking, theory yet however. ONE DAY.

To be honest I don't remember what it is about. But... with the way you say it, I think I prefer it that way. Some things are better forgotten. :SK:

Deci said:
Back to names. Has anyone noticed the use of names with first letter G in this series? From my understanding name's starting in G are relatively less common in classic language, but in this series it's taken a front seat.

Not sure what you mean by "classic language". Anyway, it's true there are quite a few characters whose name starts with the letter 'G'. But I can't say I find this to be meaningful in any way whatsoever.

Deci said:
Still waiting for SK.net official gear btw... just sayin'!

There's a good reason for the delay... Really... Nah, not really. Sorry. :judo:

Top Bottom