The Hobbit (Movie)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
If you don't share an opinion with the admins you must be indoctrinated!

Yes, that's all it is. Apologies, please return to rationalizing potential bugaboos, stating why they won't actually bother you, and reaffirming your faith in the project you've predetermined will be great based on your slavish devotion to the franchise.

On a completely unrelated topic, I'm starting to think The Dark Knight Rises is a better title than we give it credit for, it really fits what they're trying to do, which is actually quite ambitious and... oh fuck.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm not a slave man I just though the trailer looked good. Aaz didn't even write his opinion he just made fun of mine.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
Aaz didn't even write his opinion he just made fun of mine.

Then perhaps you can tell him yourself when he arrives.

Oburi said:
I'm not a slave man I just though the trailer looked good.

I hope so, Oburi, for your sake. Aazealh is not as forgiving as I am. [...]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I'm not a slave man I just though the trailer looked good. Aaz didn't even write his opinion he just made fun of mine.

Awww, don't be sad little Oburi, Aazealh Oakenshield wishes you no harm. I didn't write my opinion because I don't really have one. The movie looks "competent" so far to me, meaning I think it'll be an easy watch and enjoyable overall, but it feels like more of the same. I won't go so far as to say "run of the mill", but I'm just not excited.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My biggest beef with the trailer is that it confirmed my fears. This won't be portrayed as the light-hearted journey that it is in the book. The mood of The Hobbit is far more fun, naive and whimsical than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But you certainly couldn't tell that from this trailer. This just looks like more of the same booming, EPIC gravitas headed our way, whether the content warrants it or not.

Walter said:
My biggest beef with the trailer is that it confirmed my fears. This won't be portrayed as the light-hearted journey that it is in the book. The mood of The Hobbit is far more fun, naive and whimsical than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But you certainly couldn't tell that from this trailer. This just looks like more of the same booming, EPIC gravitas headed our way, whether the content warrants it or not.

I agree about the tone, but I still think the book is epic in scope, not necessarily booming though.

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFUh_k2ipqo

The final video diary this year. These production videos are way more exciting for me than the trailer even.

H

hellrasinbrasin

thehobbit-ComicConPoster.jpg

I'll have the a link up for the feed from The Hobbit Panel sometime later...

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
MrWeatherby said:
Looking forward to this movie, but wow that poster is bad.
How is it bad? It clearly shows off the main character, that one badass wizard guy Gannondorf or whatever. :troll:

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Dar Klink said:
How is it bad? It clearly shows off the main character, that one badass wizard guy Gannondorf or whatever. :troll:

That's sort of why, I don't feel it's indicative of the story itself. It's just "hey guys, we got Gandalf!"

I think it'd be more effective if his back were turned or something, like that David Wenzel drawing. As it is, the thing looks like any number of generic "floating head" posters without actually having the head floating. Ian McKellen just seems so dead and uninterested.

edit: here you go

BjJov.jpg

I imagine the point was to make something that sort of called back on this, yet the illustration is about ten times more engaging than the cut and paste job that is the Comic-Con poster.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Personally, I'd rather see just the Hobbit hole, Gandalf and Bilbo smoking or something else that's more indicative of the tone that the movie should have. Or maybe even something with the trolls if they want a more "epic fantasy adventure" feel. If I didn't know anything about The Hobbit, I'd probably look at this poster and think it was like a prequel starring Gandalf and showing off his badass past or something. I'm sure that's what they're going for though. :puck:

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Was this always going to be a trilogy or that's just new information that popped up in the last 2 days?

Its going to be two movies. It was always going to be like that.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oburi said:
Its going to be two movies. It was always going to be like that.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of The Hobbit films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, “a tale that grew in the telling.”

Cheers,

Peter J

Oops :ganishka:

*mouthfart*

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Three movies for a ~300 page book? Too bad we don't have an emoticon for a cow getting milked to death and then being revived twice over.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Having paid attention to nothing at all, I'll hazard a wild guess that it means they'll do the whole battle of five armies thing as its own movie. I guess you could stretch the beginning up through Gollum out for the first, leaving the second movie with Mirkwood and all the actual Smaug stuff. Eh. I'll enjoy it. I always like the old BBC stuff that made whole TV serieseses out of the Narnia books.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'll probably enjoy it as well. Even though I wasn't a big fan of Jackson's trilogy, I always liked The Hobbit as a book better than Lord of the Rings. But three movies—the equivalent of the Lord of the Rings trilogy? It's just absurd. The Hobbit is A book.

Top Bottom