The Hobbit (Movie)

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
The Desolation of Smaug? Ugh. Why does this whole thing seem lame to me? When it was first announced as two movies, I figured the second would bridge the gap between The Hobbit and LOTR. Now I suppose the best I can hope for is a complete rewrite that lengthens the tale and includes all sorts of Appendix stuff. I mean, really, 9 hours of The Hobbit?

Saephon said:
Now I suppose the best I can hope for is a complete rewrite that lengthens the tale and includes all sorts of Appendix stuff.

That is exactly what he's doing. It is an awful title for the 2nd movie though. It sounds like some heavy death metal band. Wrong and out of place.

That seals it for me I'm only interested in seeing The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey & The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug. And I'm only interested in seeing these 2 as it appears that the Hobbit was meant after all to be only a 2 film project to begin with. The 3rd film I'm calling now is
just a glorified flashback featuring new scenes with Bilbo working on his book.

Oburi

All praise Grail
hellrasinb said:
That seals it for me I'm only interested in seeing The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey & The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug. And I'm only interested in seeing these 2 as it appears that the Hobbit was meant after all to be only a 2 film project to begin with. The 3rd film I'm calling now is
just a glorified flashback featuring new scenes with Bilbo working on his book.

It's already been revealed what each film will cover.
Part 1 is everything up to the Eagles rescue, part 2 is everything up to the death of Smaug and part 3 will cover the battle of five armies. The stuff with Gandalf and the White Council will be spread throughout.

Walter said:
I think the SUPER GRAND EXPERIENCE music is going to ruin this movie for me.

I don't think the epic music is unfitting. The book isn't terribly lengthy but the content is epic in nature. A band of dwarves traveling half way around the world to retake their home from a dragon? I like the music from the first trailer..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
I don't think the epic music is unfitting.
I don't agree. The world-changing, earth-shattering orchestration while dwarves swap jokes and drink ale in a hobbit home strikes me as tone deaf. The book is pretty jovial. Even when danger presents itself, it's usually in a whimsical manner, not super-serious. That's why I liked The Hobbit, and didn't like the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was a fun book, not The Fantasy Bible.

Of course, trailer music is often stuck in by editors. But I think I've already said a few times in this thread that I was worried the movie would turn out too serious. I've never liked the deadpan tone of Jackson's movies, and this is just another indication of how the project will likely be.

Sure, but can something be epic and not dark/deadpan/why so serious?

I'd expect the music to be on par with what Shore composed for Lord of the Rings, which for me was.... epic but not... earth shatteringly.. serious? Bombastically... light hearted? If that makes sense.. In particular I'm thinking of the main Lord of the Rings theme. To each their own though.

In short I think the movie will certainly be presented on a grand scale, but maybe not to a terribly serious or pretentious level.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't think the music in the trailer is in the movie. I think it's just something they lifted from somwhere and stuck in the trailer for the time being.

This is looks like it might actually be a funny film... The Gollum scenes are worth the price of admission alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qxSpGd5OUsg

neil-finn-reaches-epic-heights-on-song-of-the-lonely-mountain-song-premiere

=_=' ... reading that almost made me not click it, but no really, I have no speakers at work.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Already got my tickets for the midnight release. I took a chance with the HFR 3D w/ Dolby Atmos. It's not the movie I'm worried about so much now. Hopefully it looks good.

Wyrm

HEMA
Seen the movie.

As an adventure movie based on JRRT works: AMAZING!!!! HAD SO MUCH FUN! WANNA BE A DWARF!

As an adaptation of the Hobbit: a passable money-grab with book scenes milked until the tit is dry...

Shorter Version: Good fantasy movie, bad adaptation. IMHO.

I felt like the movie would have been less bloated if they left out the Azog piece. Also the goblins felt weightless due to the over abundance of CG, as opposed to all the real goblin costumes from fellowship. Still the movie wasn't a let down by any means.

Just saw it last night and thought it was a great film! So man blatant changes and embellishment but like Gandalf says to Bilbo at the start when he tells his tall tale "All good stories deserve embellishment" (To which I rolled my eyes and thought, oh you Peter Jackson...). I agree with what Wyrm is saying though, great fantasy movie but not the greatest adaptation, not the worst by any means either.

Tiny nitpicks off the top of my head: Gollum is introduced where Bilbo falls and the Goblin "corpse" is instead of drifting from the island. He drags the corpse off and literally 5 seconds later when Bilbo turns the corner, Gollum is on his island with the body. How did he travel across all that water with a body, 50 feet away in about 5 seconds. It is also shown he needs to slowly coast on the raft the very next scene. Smal change by Jackson which totally made the following scene not make any sense.

Also I love how they cheapened Gandalfs tricking of the trolls into talking with each other until day break into "YOU SHALL NOT PASS". That was....something...

I appreciated the subtely in portraying Smaugh and the spiders, nothing fully shown so he can tease it for the next films. I remember Smaughs reveal being a pretty big deal as well.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I saw this movie twice over the weekend. Once on opening night in 48fps/3D and then again 2 days later in regular 2D. I can't say enough how much I preferred the regular version. The 3D proved to be just another gimmick that added virtually nothing and the 48fps was just distracting for me. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (it looked really cool sometimes) but overall it just took me out of the movie way too many times and even when it did work, it simply didn't bring anything that was amazing enough to warrant the whole movie like that. I can't stress enough how much I prefer regular 2D for this movie. Especially for this movie.

As for the film itself I absolutely LOVED it! Even after almost 3 hours I didn't want it to end. I haven't read the book ages but to me it seemed like a very worthy adaptation, much closer to the source material than the Lord of the Rings at least. There are a few minor details that bugged me here and there (Azog) but without making any excuses it was seriously a great adventure movie from start to finish. I could probably go on all day about this movie so I'll just stop here and say that I really loved this first movie. It was light and funny, but also had great moments of foreboding and danger as well as some really touching scenes. It gets right everything the Star Wars prequels got wrong, I think.

Also the actors were great. Martin Freeman as Bilbo was perfect.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the film a couple hours ago. Wasn't bad, but I felt like it dragged for too long. It's too bad because I think it'd be much better if it were closer to the novel's tone and pace. The portrayal of Radagast is what I was the least fond of.

Draculoid said:
I appreciated the subtely in portraying Smaugh and the spiders, nothing fully shown so he can tease it for the next films. I remember Smaughs reveal being a pretty big deal as well.

Smaug felt too CGI-ish to me, especially in the intro when he ravages Dale and Erebor.

Top Bottom