Favorite game of 2011

X

Xem

Out of curiosity, which game did you grow the most attached to? I didn't stray from Blizzard, going from WoW to Starcraft 2. I also really enjoy League of Legends and look forward to my 3DS and Skyward Sword coming to me soon.

But, overall, Starcraft 2 takes it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Good question. Tough actually. I'll list the games that I had the most fun with.

5) Batman: Arkham City

4) Dead Space 2

3) Portal 2

2) Deus Ex: Human Revolution

1) Dark Souls

... But... the winner for me is Skyrim. I don't think it's the greatest game ever made or even one of the greatest. But for 2011 it was the one that I had the most fun with and played for long hours that just seemed to fly by. For example, I put about 15 hours into Dark Souls (not finished) and about 25 into Deus Ex (dlc included) and I'm at 65 hours in Skyrim and not only did that time go by unnoticed but I still can't wait to go home and play more. So I don't know if it's technically the best game (it does have lots of bugs and so forth) but it's my favorite for sure.

I would also give honorable mentions to Alice:Madness Returns, Mortal Kombat, Shadows of the Damned, Uncharted 3: Drakes Fortune and Halo Anniversary. Though I still haven't played Rayman Origins which has been getting good reviews so I could change me mind on that.

X

Xem

Walter said:
That was released in July 2010...

Yeah I don't play enough new games to pick one that was released in 2011, I don't think I could even if I had to actually, unless you want me to list an 'Escape The Room' flash game. :farnese: I play League of Legends the most and that's a 2009 release haha.

Starcraft 2 wins because it never gets old, just today I had someone float a command center into my base and build a planetary fortress as an attack strategy. The game's just so full of win it's not even funny. Can't wait for Heart of the Swarm.

[quote author=Oburi]4) Dead Space 2[/quote]

I keep forgetting about those games, really need to try it out. My brother is turning me onto the Portal games but I think I have as much fun watching people play as I would playing myself.

One of my room mates agrees with you on Skyrim and my girlfriend is lovin' some Mass Effect 2 at the moment (though she hates how she made her female Shephard look I told her just to hold out until ME3). The other room mate plays just about every free-to-play MMO imaginable so he's all over the place. I love my nerd-filled house hehe.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Team Fortress 2 wins because it never gets old, just today I had someone float a command center into my base and build a planetary fortress as an attack strategy. The game's just so full of win it's not even funny. Can't wait for Halo 3.

X

Xem

Walter said:
You're right, it's not funny. :azan:

Epic though, right? :carcus:
Sorry my Counter-Strike lingo never quite died after all the subsequent years of constant online competitive play

[quote author=Nightcrawler]Another sad troll attempt[/quote]

I haven't gotten around to Team Fortress 2 for some reason. I've definitely gotten the nudge but I haven't bitten yet... I think I'll probably just wait for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive before I really sink my teeth back into FPS though.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Catherine, for staying quite well under-the-radar and being a completely refreshing concept.

I was pumped for Skyrim, and while enjoyable, the final product proved to have more bugs in it than a present-day Anna Nicole Smith. Keep up with those patches, Bethesda!

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
Mine is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat which is one hardass FPS/Survival/Horror game but if its only games from 2011 then I'm split between Portal 2 and Gears of War 3 since I enjoyed them both immensely so it's turned out to be favorite games of 2011 for me instead :guts:.

By the way if anyone knows games like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series please let me know and FYI i have already played Metro 2033 and it was good but not as challenging.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Deus Ex HR was great, Skyrim was wasted potential in so many ways(Bethesda yeah yeah), but fun, and... I don't think I played much else this year. Not gonna go into non-2011 released games though. So overall? DXHR. Shit was good and hopefully a sign of more good stuff to come from Eidos Montreal.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, I don't feel like I played all that many games this year. I guess I'd have to say Dark Souls, with Deus Ex HR and Zelda SS being close behind. I haven't finished Zelda yet though, so it's hard to form a final opinion at this point.

I have yet to play some games that I consider for this title, and some I have to finish some more, but for now it seems it will be Zelda.
Dark Souls comes second and after that, I don't feel like ordering them. For me, 2011 had many great games but in the end, it's always Nintendos prime IP's that I like most. Has been the case since Super Mario 64.

Pretty tough. I've still yet to buy or play Uncharted 3.

Gears 3, I've left unfinished and have very little desire to see what those big booted marines shoot next.

Deus Ex. I bought and played for 20 minutes. Forget I owned it until reading this thread. Is it worth getting into?

I'm about 4-5 hours into Batman and the attention to detail here has blown me away. I seriously want to take Batman for a leisurely stroll up and down each city block, taking it all in. "Zsasz, stop calling me!"

MW3 is entertaining in small bursts. Hardly GOTY.

Portal 2 was plain old fun. That ending? Great.
"Space!"
The game as a whole really pulled me in and forced me to examine near every inch of the environments (which I relish) and the dialogue between the different A.I.'s, superb.

Dark Souls? Ah, Dark Souls. I loved playing it and was sad when I realized it was all about to be over. I invested well over 100+ hours into this game. I was really quite smitten with it overall, until the end. For those of you who have played and beaten it, you must know what I'm talking about. I can get why the developers would go with this kind of approach for an ending, but I just wanted something more. A scrolling screen of text wold have been sufficient. Maybe I'm sore because I liked the game so much and really enjoyed the world, the characters, and the play style. Despite the lack luster ending, this game was engrossing. I wish I could say more about the multiplayer, but perhaps buying this title for PS3 and depending on the PSN was a bad move on my part. I wanted to help out others more often than I was able to. Sort of a bummer.

After typing all that, I realize I have the most to say about Dark Souls because it consumed me much more than any other game this year, despite some short comings. So the winner for me? Dark Souls.

Proj2501 said:
I've still yet to buy or play Uncharted 3.

Uncharted 3 was a bit of a letdown for me. I enjoyed its campaign, sure, it had some nice HD moments. But I was left wanting so much more. The absence of cheats, Donut Drake in particular, more than halved the game for me. Playing through the campaign as Donut Drake is nearly a brand new experience since you can imagine things collapsing beneath you to be entirely weight-related. The gun cheats were huge, too. Sometimes you wanted to play the big gunfight with the best pistol in the game. Sometimes you wanted to equip the most powerful gun on the hardest part in the game. Overall campaign I thought was a lot more enjoyable in two, as well. But it's still worth the playthrough. I just don't think it rates in as full as Uncharted 2. Definitely not my Game of the Year.

Proj2501 said:
Gears 3, I've left unfinished and have very little desire to see what those big booted marines shoot next.

lol!

Proj2501 said:
I'm about 4-5 hours into Batman and the attention to detail here has blown me away. I seriously want to take Batman for a leisurely stroll up and down each city block, taking it all in. "Zsasz, stop calling me!"

That is a rockin' game. :ganishka: I love how batman can talk to someone on the phone without even picking it up. He just stares at it until it answers itself.

I didn't truly realize I'd gotten my money's worth until after I'd beaten it, equipped the Beyond costume/skin, and turned this on while flying around Arkham. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Y5SLcBJks

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Deus Ex. I bought and played for 20 minutes. Forget I owned it until reading this thread. Is it worth getting into?

Yes.

Proj2501 said:
Dark Souls? Ah, Dark Souls. I loved playing it and was sad when I realized it was all about to be over. I invested well over 100+ hours into this game. [...] After typing all that, I realize I have the most to say about Dark Souls because it consumed me much more than any other game this year, despite some short comings. So the winner for me? Dark Souls.

This reminds me of how I felt playing old From Software games back in the day, like King's Field. There was so much potential there, but it was wasted by the abysmal technical aspect of the games. At the time I thought it a shame the world would never see that potential realized, but what do you know, over a decade later they've finally succeeded.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Judging by my own personal reaction, I'd have to say Arkham City was the one game that had me glued. Uncharted 3 was a major disappointment but didn't make it a bad game either. It's predecessor was so full of over-the-top action that it literally felt like watching an action packed film. Somehow this one had all of the tools, but fell short. Haven't payed Dark Souls yet... But I may just exchange it with Uncharted 3 or something.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Uncharted 3 wasn't a bad game by any means but I agree that it just wasn't as good as 2. I think Uncharted 2 was just so good that it was damn near impossible for any sequel to live up to it. Perhaps had they waited and released the game in a few years from now. But as it stands it just doesn't even come close to how amazing Uncharted 2 was. However, it's still a great game and it has its moments. In particular the chase scene through the city. That was really outstanding, as was the sinking ship.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Consider me late to the party, but...um...Twilight...Princess? I know it's old, but out of all the games I've played this year, this one stands out the most (in terms of quality and time spent).

I played Portal 2 and beat it in a few hours, but it didn't 'wow' me like it did everyone else.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Jesus people its favorite game of 2011! If you didn't play enough games to have a favorite this year.. well better luck 2012.

Twilight Princess get out of here.

Top Bottom