1/6 Berserk Guts custom figure WIP

Originally I was posting on other forum, but I'll be posting here also since I'm a member here as well (and this is dedicated to berserk)

This is combining old Dragon's 12" figure and new Hot Toys muscular body + some of my modification and detailing.
6619026607_db763ddb3f_b.jpg

First, I got lazy and modified the HT head to get the facial expression I want (instead of new head sculpt..). If I don't like it, I'll go back and make a new head sculpt..
This one, I'm trying to get more realistic feel.
I shaved the hair and carved out the mouth, and put the teeth in for the test. It looks like it can work.
6619026407_1358f1258b_z.jpg

Also saving the Anime head came with Dragon, but adding joint for head joint (shape will be modified later)
6619026469_fbc73a046f_z.jpg

This is armor fitting test. Most armor parts can be used without too much effort! Left side mechanical arm and shoulder armor need some modification to fit better. Also some shapes of leather parts need some tweaks as well.
IMO, already looking much better than old Dragon version!!!
6619026523_d6083a2aa2_b.jpg

To fit the left mechanical arm, I had to cut off a portion of base body arm..
The HT muscular body arm is slightly thicker than Dragon's arm, so I had to extend out the metal frame to fit it.
6625067433_e9ea6fe7d7_z.jpg

Tried the Dragon's original head. That need some work.. but that's low priority for now.
6625067663_a8a2089c3e_z.jpg

And this is another test shot with new head.
6625067539_fe83911188_b.jpg

Quick pose shot with his sword.. Man.. without hair and face paint, he looks like Charlton Heston!
6625067777_9b069f6555_b.jpg

Gave him some hair. Now looks less like Charlton Heston and more like Guts!
That hair took me all day! Anime hair is hard to do!
6626438473_28f3869c04_z.jpg

Another shot with his bad-a*s sword!!
6626438525_aca0b512c5_b.jpg

I've ordered some leather and tools to upgrade his leather parts.
I'm also scratch-building his crossbow attachment now. I'll post images when it's done. :D

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Looks great so far! Very fun project. I'm kinda amazed at how good Dragon Guts' pants and boots and leg armor look on the Hot Toys figure.

Thanks for comments!
I've been working on his crossbow a couple of hours each night. This is what I have so far.

The one in the middle is static version of crossbow attachment came with Dragon figure. Well, I can't live with that! So I'm scratch-building it with some moving parts. - something I can put on his arm and fold/put in the leather container.
6648481157_4a7d24b7f9_z.jpg

This is just basic fitting test. Still need to build front grip and open/close mechanism. and, Oh the arrows. Weekend is coming!!
6648481239_1a1b6d6666_z.jpg

This looks great. It's amazing how good the Left arm with your modifications looks. It's like it was build for this statue.

Spent some time over the weekend and only got the crossbow arm attachment structure done.
Probably people who have seen graphic novel or anime would know what the heck is going on here.. Actually it took me a while to figure out how this thing works and attached to the arm.
It's actually great design. handle piece comes out and that opens the magazine and bow arms sequentially . I only got the outside mechanism working as design. I have no idea how the inside works..

6666305103_1a7a922419_b.jpg

Arm fitting/Posing test
6666420147_54072cb64b_b.jpg

Also got the brown leather boots that are very close to original design. It definitely improves look and pose-ability!!
6666420211_365202292c_z.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I'm really impressed by your attention to detail on this project, kyekye! Can't wait to see more photos. :ubik:

Thanks for nice comments!

Leather parts re-working wasn't on my original plan, but this became my new challenge after seeing other people's work!

First prepared some tools and material from various sources. First online purchase failed.. the size and thickness were all over the place. Maybe because I'm not familiar with these stuff yet. Best way for now is to check and see these myself! -
6724781001_b7cd3ee710_z.jpg

First I tried one of the bags on his belt...
You can see my first couple of attempts failed miserably.., but you can see I'm getting better at it!
6724843853_3f8ccebe05_z.jpg

Now that I got the core skill, I made a bunch of other bags for him. Since the sewing machine method failed me, these are 90% done by hand sewing. Dang! it's a lot harder work than I thought!! My fingers are all numb and punctured by needle here and there.. T.T;
His dagger was also wrong shape, so made some changes (will be repainted later)
6724780841_b1815c7aae_b.jpg

these are his shoulder armor suspenders. All new leather work + upgraded metal parts.
The chain came with original was too big and shiny- Luckily I found the right size and colored one. and the metal hardware set was too thin (and shiny as well). So I replaced them with hand-made parts. The throwing knives were also too big, so I made them smaller and re-positioned the holsters.
6724780903_b8cf6c130a_b.jpg

This is his belt + loincloth cover. All new leather work + metal work as well.
I cheated and used snap buttons on the back for easy wearing. The back side will be covered by his weapons and bags anyways.
6724780963_be5eb60760_b.jpg

I still have some more leather work left to do, but major parts are done now. :woohoo
Leather Dye is also my first time attempt, so I will do some test with my failed bags later.

This really impressive. There is just one thing that bothers me, the morphology/body type isn't the same, are you going to sculpt over it to make a more specific and close body
to Guts ?

Theoden said:
This really impressive. There is just one thing that bothers me, the morphology/body type isn't the same, are you going to sculpt over it to make a more specific and close body
to Guts ?
I'm planning to do some paint over the muscle body to enhance the depth of muscles, but can't really add/carve much into rubber.
I love the art style of original manga, but Gut's body is nowhere anatomically correct. Applying that to realistic figure could be awkward in my personal view.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
kyekye said:
I'm planning to do some paint over the muscle body to enhance the depth of muscles, but can't really add/carve much into rubber.
I love the art style of original manga, but Guts body is nowhere anatomically correct. Applying that to realistic figure could be awkward in my personal view.

I think he just meant giving him more muscle mass, and Guts' physique isn't unrealistic at all in that regard.

Aazealh said:
I think he just meant giving him more muscle mass, and Guts' physique isn't unrealistic at all in that regard.
Oh I see. However you only get to see his right lower arm skin after putting his armors on.. That part is not rubber, so I can add some muscle definition with putty. Still it will look weird when the hand is twisted for different poses.. There is always trade off for pose-able figures (compare to fixed pose statues)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
kyekye said:
However you only get to see his right lower arm skin after putting his armors on..

True, so it doesn't really matter at all.

kyekye said:
Still it will look weird when the hand is twisted for different poses.. There is always trade off for pose-able figures (compare to fixed pose statues)

Agreed, although a well done posable figure like the one you're creating here is more than worth a fixed one in my opinion.

Aazealh said:
True, so it doesn't really matter at all.

Agreed, although a well done posable figure like the one you're creating here is more than worth a fixed one in my opinion.
Poseable figures always give you impression of a 'Toy' or 'Action Figure' while Statues give impression of 'Art form' Maybe that's why statues are so expensive! :SK:
For the arm muscles, I tried adding more definition where it's visible after wearing armor. let's see how it turns out :)

Diaz said:
This looks awesome :ubik:

My first plan was just add some paint over arm muscle to enhance the muscle definition, but Theoden and Aazealh suggested adding shape to it rather than painting.
So, I tried it.
First I cut out the biceps for bigger forearm bending range (it was less than 90 degree - hard to make him grab sword..), and added some forearm muscles, biceps and triceps on to the non-rubber parts.
Then, I got rid of the beer belly of HT muscle body and carved in pelvis part for wider leg front movement range. And did some paint toning and skin-tone painting. Finished with wrapping bandages. (I still need to figure out what to do with the exposed wrist joint without limiting the movement)
6747601083_67f51b0330_b.jpg

Time to check the body tuning result. My goal is to enhance arm muscle without too much distracting original base body. It looks like it's working.
6747601139_382cda3598_b.jpg

Also made some accessories for his new leather bag. Some medicine bag/bottles (or gun powder bag), bandage rolls, extra throwing knives and his Behelit in 1/6 scale!
6747601235_2b834f02f4_b.jpg

Before moving to the armor works, I needed to check the leather parts on his body with chest armor. Here are some shots.
6747601287_d87cda31d0_b.jpg

Next will be armor modification. I have no idea where to start.. Probably shoulder armor, I think..

You did a great job adding some volume to the arms, and the amount of detail is really amazing :guts:
I don't want to troll or piss you, but the thighs are not thick enough...

Like it's been said, the upper body ( torso, shoulders ) aren't sized the right way but it doesn't matter since the armor hides it.
I am aware that adding volume on some parts are probably a pain in the ass :troll: , since there is technical issues due to the joints
of the action figure, since it has to be able to move preserving rotation angles etc...

I am very curious to see the final result.

Keep it up :carcus:

Well.. we all know Guts enough to know what's right or what's wrong.
this is still Work in progress - meaning not all parts are there yet. I always welcome suggestions. That's one of the main reason I post it here anyways. I get a lot of good suggestions from other modeling forum or figure forum as well.
If I agree, and if it's something I can do, then I do it :) - like adding arm muscle.
If I don't agree or have some technical issue like you mentioned, then I don't do it. That's all..

For example, I know his neck should be thicker and need more muscle on the back. Simply I can't do that because the neck is silicon rubber and I want to keep the articulation range clear.. There is always trade..

Ultimately, this is all prep job for my next project - 12" Berserker armor Guts!!

Top Bottom