1/6 Berserk Guts custom figure WIP

S

Sancez

Your work on this action figure is incredible! I like action figures, but I have never seen a model so well done. Compliments!
If you're planning to sell it then let me know :p

Thanks for more comments!

The original shoulder armor was simplified and missing sharp details.. So, first, I tried to just get the shoulder armor's shape right.
It wasn't so satisfying around the lower layered parts.

This also was not in the original plan, but I decided to try partial armor modification using brass sheets to add some flexible joint motion.
I tried 3 different thickness brass sheets and 0.01" was solid enough for the job, yet manageable (able to drill holes and cut)

This is the first one I tried out. After a couple of different hole designs, it worked as I hoped. It bends and extends/contracts with some springiness.
6780843337_4482caab5a_b.jpg

So, I applied the same method on the top portion of leg armor.
6780843415_2476726efb_z.jpg

Now I can bend arms and legs with bigger motion range with actual bending/extending metallic armor

This is rough fitting test
6780843497_ddc7a9a1f0_b.jpg

I'm using temporary pins to hold the links in position, but they will be replaced by rivets after I blacken the brass sheets. I don't know exactly what color I'll end up with after blackening. so the rest of plastic parts will be matched to that color. I'm hoping blue-ish matte black. (using gun blue solution)
Also I need to fine-tune the outline shape of armor pieces.

Next step will be some left-over leather works (mostly fastening belts)

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Man! That's looking really great. I'm enjoying these reports of your progress. The finished figure is gonna be so damn fine!

Thanks for keep checking and leaving comments!
Here is a mini update before weekend

I changed the shoulder armor main part to be more accurate to the book. Still need some sanding and re-priming before painting.

I finally got the 'gun blue liquid' and tiny rivets delivered. After testing the strength and working time of the chemical, I applied it to the brass parts I prepared earlier.
It came out as I expected :)
6811396003_8ec49c3598_b.jpg

It made them look like aged/ rusted metal. I had to re-blue them 3-4 times each. The other good thing about this is the strength of the color. It's more durable than painting. It won't scratch off easily from friction with other parts. :D

While I was waiting for the delivery, I worked on the 2nd head (Graphic Novel version) It's more stylized and smaller. This one I'm using sculpted hair for the most part. The hair and ear is recast from original, but the face is new sculpt.
Here is a quick test shot (It's WIP, so it's rough and off here and there :p)
6811396091_1f988059ff_b.jpg

turkitage

ターク
kyekye said:
Here is a mini update before weekend

Even a "mini" update seems like a lot to me! The armor pieces look really good now and "rustic" like you said.

Even though it's rough draft of the head it looks 12389018 times better.

Haha.. I guess you guys had problem with real type head I was using..
Anyways here is short update.

Still working on the head sculpt - adding - sanding - carving cycle. I think it's getting closer to the original art? (front bang is missing - will be added later)
Also re-shaped the ankle armor for better articulation range.
I need to do the base painting on some armor parts before the additional leather work since they are belts that are attached to the armor for fastening.

6828486115_494035cc47_b.jpg

S

Sancez

How did you create the head? What is the material? I always wanted to buy this action figure, and finally I did it! It will arrive in a few days! :ubik:

I'm not bad at modeling, I realized some LOTR's dioramas few years ago, I'm thinking I might modify my action figures Guts like yours. :guts:

I use silicon mold putty to make mold, and use Aluminite resin to recast it. and add face shape with Apoxie sculpt clay. And use epoxy putty to add finer details. When all is done, I recast it again to make 1 piece resin. At that point, you can make more than 1 copy for future use. (In my case, for next Maken version)

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Now that's what I call a fine looking head! :guts: You're doing a top-notch job, I'm always excited to see new updates on this.

Thanks again for kind comments.
Like my other custom figures and models, this is just one-off. I don't have full recasting tools, and I can only recast single piece at a time.. Sorry about that.

Here is small update.
After looking at some of high-end 1/6 scale figures, I decided to adopt eyeball movement system for my Guts mod.

First, I cut out the front face and carved out the eye socket from back side.
Then, made eyeball from cut-out ball joint and added small handle on the back. Instead of spring used on commercial figures, I used tiny ring of silicon to press the eyeball and made cover plate.
For easy face swap, I inserted magnets on both side of head and face.
Below is the parts and eye rolling test images.
6869144961_2b5271c6cb_b.jpg

I painted the back piece of the head and added front hair pieces. Also made 2nd head for my 2nd custom after this one (Berserker armor version) and 3rd face for Anime version of rage face. All with eyeball moving system.
Also painted eyeballs with thin blood vessels and coated with clear gloss acrylic paint (The infamous 'Future'!)
Please note that Gut's Iris size is that small in original Manga/Anime. So, I'm just following that style :p
6869145027_7b0e0398c4_b.jpg

Also did painting pass on real type head and did fitting test with new Anime heads.
6869145103_0464e23698_b.jpg

Now I really need to get back to armor painting and leather work. :)

Added 3rd layer of paint (sweat, blood..etc) and some details on head. Now it has better match with the body skin-tone.
6880455223_421a310e60_b.jpg

Before moving to armor painting, I re-casted some armor parts for later use with my other project
6880455275_66ae3ac192_b.jpg

Holy crap man! Just read through this whole thread and looking at your progress, it's simply amazing! I haven't really seen many custom figure jobs like this but going as far as those awesome bags and all the contents....it's just so ambitious! Keep up the awesome work, it's looking better and better. Your going to be working on a berserker armour Guts after this? Wow, I can't wait for that! :guts:

Draculoid said:
Holy crap man! Just read through this whole thread and looking at your progress, it's simply amazing! I haven't really seen many custom figure jobs like this but going as far as those awesome bags and all the contents....it's just so ambitious! Keep up the awesome work, it's looking better and better. Your going to be working on a berserker armour Guts after this? Wow, I can't wait for that! :guts:
Thanks! I'm just doing my best with my current skill and tools I have. and Yes, the Berserk Wolf armor will be after this. However, I might take some break or do a small side project before that :D

Top Bottom