Soul Calibur V

For all fighting game enthusiasts, Soul Calibur V comes out 25 days from now in the US, on January 31. Anyone else follow this franchise??

New items of interest:

-Brave Edge and Critical Edge, similar to the super moves from IV
-Enhanced ring outs
-No more parries
-Ezio as guest character
-Younger reincarnations of series staple characters: Natsu replacing Taki, Xiba replacing Kilik etc
-Character creation looks more badass than ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLRaHJ-D5g
-No Zasalamel confirmation 25 days out from release WTF

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulcalibur_V
www.soulcalibur.com

Oburi

All praise Grail
I can't fucking wait. I actually wrote it on my calendar. The amount of time I spent on SC4 was astounding. In the videos I saw it looked like you could also use the enviromeant to bounce off of, which I haven't seen in a fighting game before.

Oburi said:
I can't fucking wait. I actually wrote it on my calendar. The amount of time I spent on SC4 was astounding. In the videos I saw it looked like you could also use the enviromeant to bounce off of, which I haven't seen in a fighting game before.

If by environment bounce you mean kick off walls, that has been in Tekken for quite some time.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also looks like they're using three dimensional polygon graphics? Is this game going to be 128-bit?

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
Well I just hope it lives up to the fan I had with Soul Calibur 1 and 2...3 was sorta good I guess, and 4 was well just okay to me, I just hope they don't over complicate things, since with each sequel they just add more and more.

I'm more of SF player, but if I want a really strict fighter, I'll play Tekken or something, Soul Calibur just needs to be fun for me :griffnotevil:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Sorry, I knew it had been done before but not in SC game. Although I still hope they do a little more than just kicking off the wall. I thought I saw a video where the guy used the wall to run up and flip over the other player. It looked really cool. I have very high expectations for this game. I know it's not as highly regarded in the fighting game community but personally it's my favorite. I feel like there's so many fighting styles and so many unique moves that I'm always see something new every time i play.

A few things that I'm happy about. One is the changing of the Critical finish or whatever the hell they call those massive cut-scene like combos that destroy the opponent. In SC4 it was so hard to pull off i think I only managed it with 2 characters. I guess they got rid of parrying too, which is fine by me since I don't think anyone used that. The final thing is new characters. There's a good amount of new characters and since i'm not crazy about the returning ones I'm eagerly hoping the new ones are fun. I guess a few of the new ones are suppose to be the spiritual successors to my others favorites that aren't returning like Kilik, Sophitia and Taki.

Oburi

All praise Grail
frankencowx said:
its probably a huge stretch but I hope they keep Vader and Starkiller's styles in from IV.

Well I know that for the character creation they using more fighting styles other than just game characters. "Among the original characters' fighting styles that players will be able to choose from, players will also be able to choose the fighting style of Devil Jin from the Tekken series, a style only exclusive to character customization mode." Also the character of Edge Master who is able to use all fighting styles is in the game. He could have it but that's a stretch. They were fun to use but I won't miss their fighting styles.

Viral Harvest said:
I'm hoping they have a more comprehensive quest mode like they had in SC3. SC4's tower mode was kind of weak.

Agreed. I'd even go for another rendition of Weapon Master Mode from SCII.

Also just read more into that blip Oburi about Tekken series creator Harada having his own CaS character with Devil Jin fighting style. Awesome! I have hope for more surprises like this..

Final 4 characters confirmed ahead of Edgemaster and Algol, according to SWBeta from shoryuken:

"Alpha Patroklos (Setsuka style)
Evil Pyrrha (Sophitia style)
"Malfested" Kilik (Male mimic style, including from characters not in SC5; Zasalamel, Apprentice, Vader, Rock, Yun-Seung, Devil Jin style etc)
"Final Boss" Sophitia (Female mimic style, including from characters not in SC5; Talim, etc)"

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/soul-calibur-5-official-discussion.133714/page-44#post-6391379

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/8947/img1659w.jpg

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm not sure if I'm going to get this game now after hearing about how they altered the arcade mode the way they did. Also the story mode is apparently rubbish. Pretty much the only saving grace would be the multiplayer but I for one enjoy single player challenges and being able to play some type of ladder with all the characters. The game seems really lame without all that and I don't plan on playing online that much. Really dissapointed with what I'm hearing so far.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
The actual game mechanics are a lot of fun, but story/quest mode is the weakest yet (takes about 2 hours to complete). I don't know if they're planning any DLC to correct this (which would infuriate me, it seems like an incomplete game as is) but online is pretty good and character creation is a lot of fun. Still, only about 40% of the characters are made present in the main storyline and I guess the rest is left to complete mystery (Ezio mysteriously appearing roughly 100 years after Assassin's Creed: Revelations with no explanation?) I'm gravely disappointed in this game because it does not seem like a complete package at all and only about half of a game. I'm boggled that they could even release the game like this to be honest.

Viral Harvest said:
I'm gravely disappointed in this game because it does not seem like a complete package at all and only about half of a game. I'm boggled that they could even release the game like this to be honest.

This. After following this game for a while now on 8wayrun, it would appear that they've really upset the vast majority of the SC fanbase. I was excited for the game at one point in time too. After finding out everything thats NOT present in the game, I've lost the gusto. The visuals are gorgeous. Everything else about it is complete trash.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Can anyone who has played this tell me exactly how the other modes are, like arcade mode or challenge mode? Is it like the other games? or even Soul Calibur 4 which I had a lot of fun beating arcade mode with all characters and doing challenges.

Oburi said:
Can anyone who has played this tell me exactly how the other modes are, like arcade mode or challenge mode? Is it like the other games? or even Soul Calibur 4 which I had a lot of fun beating arcade mode with all characters and doing challenges.
Well, you have a couple of different offline modes:

Story mode: 20ish different fights with preset characters and enemies with some storyboards in between levels. You can unlock 4 of the 6 secret characters this way. If you skip the storyboards and cutscenes, it lasts about an hour.

Arcade mode: 6 bouts, depending on which route you choose (europe, standard, or asia) determines who you will fight. There are no arcade endings period for any character. Once you get to the end you get your stats. THATS IT.

Training: You guessed it.

Quick battle: fight different pre made NPC's in a mock online mode. Similar to Tekken 5's ghost mode. You play this mode to earn points and earn titles from defeated NPC's.

Most everything is unlocked via leveling your player level.. and... the way you increase your player level is by fighting matches offline or online. Every round fought gets you about 100ish points, and it takes about 700 points to level in the beginning. I believe you stop unlocking gear at lvl 53. Honestly, there is hardly anything to unlock. Every 3 or so levels youll get either a piece of gear for CaS, a stage, or a title. Its pretty bare bones. This is the most scaled back SCV yet.

Top Bottom