Silat fans? Anyone?

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Silat... I've seen some topics about him here, but they didn't look very popular, nor him, although he's very cool I think... I saw some Silat fans, but I can count them on one hand, and I'd really like to see how popular he is, so I've decided to open this topic, and ask every Silat fan to stand up, and lets discuss his awesomeness! :ganishka:

I've always been a lover of ancient exotic cultures, like the ancient Egypt or South-East Asia, and it was nice to see a manga character who is related to these somehow.
Also I love how Miura could mix some Egyptian, Indian, Arabian, Turkish and South-East Asian in one character design, and also given him some ninja-look. And also the martial art and the idea of the warrior nation is cool. Thinking about the Baakiraka makes the karate trainings way cooler. And whats more, as a girl, I find him pretty hot :ganishka:
So, this is briefly why he's my favourite.

I kinda miss him now... It's been a long time we could see him in the manga, and his appearance confirmed in the Berserk Saga made me excited, but I don't know how long we'll have to wait for it...
I rarely see any kind of fanart about him (even if I google it, my drawing comes up on the first page...).
So also I opened this topic to find some. Also, do you know any fanfiction or something in which he is included? Even one line is enough, I just miss him so much :ganishka:

Uum, I guess that's all, sorry if I wrote some mistakes, English is not my native language, and I didn't have a lot time to write this post, I think I'll edit it later when I have time for it :farnese:

I hope I'm not the only fan of him, and I'll find other people thinking like me :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Why, how could one not be a fan of his? As for threads, I think these were popular enough in their time (and more importantly, had good posts):

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=3695.0
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=4505.0
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=4956.0

Gillia said:
I kinda miss him now... It's been a long time we could see him in the manga

Not any longer than the last time we saw Griffith...

Gillia said:
So also I opened this topic to find some. Also, do you know any fanfiction or something in which he is included?

Not big into fan fiction personally. It's universally terrible as far as I'm concerned.

Aazealh said:
Not big into fan fiction personally.
Me neither... Actually I hate most of them and I rarely see good ones, but I miss Silat so much now that anything about him makes me happy... And thanks for the links, but I already read these threads (and I guess almost everything else that's available on the internet about him :ganishka: )

He's a pretty cool character and quite strong as far as human characters go, would make a great addition to the party :guts:

Honestly though, I don't know if I can really see him joining Gut's group. I always sort of imagine him and solitary with his (2?) men, he's very proud of his clan. Though, at the same time he is enlightened and knows quite a bit about what is going on.

I'm a big Rakshas fan so I'm eager to get more insight into their relationship and possible backstory. :rakshas:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Honestly though, I don't know if I can really see him joining Guts group. I always sort of imagine him and solitary with his (2?) men, he's very proud of his clan. Though, at the same time he is enlightened and knows quite a bit about what is going on.

I don't think he's ever going to "join" Guts' group, however their goals may likely coincide at some point and they could team up. Silat is the leader of the Bakiraka, which counts many members, and is helped in his task by 4 elite warriors called the Tapasa.

I knew there were 4 when they were originally introduced but I though the number was dropped to 2 for some reason. Maybe Silat has sent them on some sort of mission?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Maybe Silat has sent them on some sort of mission?

It's happened in the past, but they're still four and were all together with him the last time we saw them.

Edit by voodoo: Hey Silat is pretty cool characters - he looks nice and strong, I have re-read manga episodes once again and his face is OK too, but hey when he takes off his hat, his haircut is quite funny...I'd say he is looking much better when he wears his hat on :troll:

damn...I had a feeling they were. That was when they are seen by the trees observing Ganishka's tranformation right? I had a feeling but have left my volumes at home so couldn't check :mozgus: In that case I doubt that any "mission" will be brought up, who knows why they were gone for a certain period of time.

@voodoo: haha what's wrong with Silat'sface? :p I know he may look a little different from the other characters since he is of a different race but I always considered him handsome....he is a Prince after all.

voodoo_sh said:
[...] but hey when he takes off his hat, his haircut is quite funny...I'd say he is looking much better when he wears his hat on :troll:
I don't think he has any kind of haircut or something... His hair rather looks like he doesn't really take care of it, it looked kinda greasy when Guts cut off his "hat". I think he rarely takes off that thing, if he ever takes it off...
Maybe the Bakiraka has some rule that they mustn't show their hair in public? Because every Baakiraka we have seen was bold or had their hair covered (except women maybe? The girl in the 5 Bakiraka wore a hood, but she seemed to be okay with taking that off... Although she was also okay with showing her boobs so I guess this doesn't count :troll: Damn, she was cool, I hope we'll see some other Bakiraka women in the future...).
To be honest, I think that the picture of Silat in the manga when we could see his hair was a bit off, Miura's style went through incredible changes since then, and I think Silat would look better now with his hat off than he looked back then.
Draculoid said:
I know he may look a little different from the other characters since he is of a different race but I always considered him handsome....he is a Prince after all.
Yes, it's true, it's kinda expected that an exotic prince must be handsome :ganishka: (<- and evil emperors are fat and have facial hair)
Also, the lack of eyebrows and the Egyptian-like eyeliner makes him more different... I guess it's a sign of rank? No other Bakiraka had something like that (except that girl again, she seemed to have some eyeliner)
Draculoid said:
I'm a big Rakshas fan so I'm eager to get more insight into their relationship and possible backstory. :rakshas:
Me too :rakshas: Rakshas is still very misterious and interesting, their backstory would be something really cool.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gillia said:
I don't think he has any kind of haircut or something... His hair rather looks like he doesn't really take care of it, it looked kinda greasy when Guts cut off his "hat". I think he rarely takes off that thing, if he ever takes it off...

Oiling one's hair was once a common practice, and it doesn't mean he's not taking care of it. Don't speak out of ignorance. Also, he does wear his turban all the time and uses it to hold his hair, so having it slashed down during battle wasn't going to reveal a pristine haircut underneath.

Gillia said:
To be honest, I think that the picture of Silat in the manga when we could see his hair was a bit off, Miura's style went through incredible changes since then, and I think Silat would look better now with his hat off than he looked back then.

I don't see what makes you say that. The pictures of him without his mask in volume 9 look perfectly fine to me, and are consistent with the few looks at his face we got after that.

Gillia said:
it's kinda expected that an exotic prince must be handsome

The term of "prince" isn't all that appropriate. When the Tapasa call him that, it can simply be translated as "young master", so don't take it to heart that he's got that specific title.

Aazealh said:
Oiling one's hair was once a common practice, and it doesn't mean he's not taking care of it. Don't speak out of ignorance.
It rather looked like it got a bit greasy under the turban because he was sweating after a long fight, tho' I cannot prove he don't oil it or anything, I'm not an expert of these things. But by "don't taking care of it" I didn't mean he completely doesn't give a f*ck about cleanliness and just stuff it into the turban and leaves it like that for a lifetime... (I know you would start "then write what you mean, don't make us misunderstand you, you make yourself look stupid", but please don't, I know I do. :schierke: )
Aazealh said:
I don't see what makes you say that. The pictures of him without his mask in volume 9 look perfectly fine to me, and are consistent with the few looks at his face we got after that.
Miura's style was more cartoon-like and less realistic back then, and then long time passed before we could see Silat again, Miura's style went through big changes and became a lot more realistic, maybe I only see it like this because there's a big gap between the two times he appear and we couldn't see his design change gradually... But it still does look a bit weird for me, eg. his forehead seems to be too big and sphere-shaped, but his face itself is small compared to that, the part of his nose between his eyes seem to be in the same plane like his eyes, his eyes look flat etc. As I said, maybe it can be because of the big change in style, but I still think that he doesn't look very photogenic on that picture :troll:
Aazealh said:
The term of "prince" isn't all that appropriate. When the Tapasa call him that, it can simply be translated as "young master", so don't take it to heart that he's got that specific title.
I don't think that any word of my "statement" about the attractiveness level of different high rank men should be taken seriously... I know they call him waka = young man of a high rank.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gillia said:
But by "don't taking care of it" I didn't mean he completely doesn't give a f*ck about cleanliness and just stuff it into the turban and leaves it like that for a lifetime...

Then write what you mean, because that's what it sounded like.

Gillia said:
As I said, maybe it can be because of the big change in style, but I still think that he doesn't look very photogenic on that picture :troll:

The angle is also pretty specific. But like I said, beyond the evolution in art style his features have remained consistent over the years. He still has a pretty sharp nose, still has the same eyes, and I'd expect him to still have a wide forehead and slick black hair under that turban.

Gillia said:
I don't think that any word of my "statement" about the attractiveness level of different high rank men should be taken seriously... I know they call him waka = young man of a high rank.

If you know what it means then please use the proper wording.

Sorry, I believe I was the one that started using the "prince" word in the first place and Gillia just went along with it. I was actually unaware the difference and the meanings behind the words used to described him and his heritage/rank. Learned something new about Berserk today! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Sorry, I believe I was the one that started using the "prince" word in the first place and Gillia just went along with it. I was actually unaware the difference and the meanings behind the words used to described him and his heritage/rank. Learned something new about Berserk today! :guts:

Yeah I know you were. I figured you guys didn't know the nuance, which is why I explained it. :slan:

Top Bottom