Will you be voting this year?

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Which GOP candidate will you support? Or will you vote for Obama? Or not at all?

I've only been able to vote for one election, but I've never been into politics. I've never felt strongly that I really agree with a candidate and his stance. But the more I read and hear about Ron Paul the more I find his views refreshing. My primary draw toward him is his foreign policy (We shouldn't start wars, we should make friends instead of killing their civilians) and his stance on social liberties and smaller government. He has some radical ideas but I think we need radical ideas to really shake up what we've become. (a huge, corrupt printing press that has its priorities very out of order)

What do you think?

RON PAUL 2012! :guts:

Presidential debate highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tstpu5mDEI
Humanitarian bombings - warning: has some strong content. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYtkemI0bk

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aphasia said:
Which GOP candidate will you support?
Not even the GOP supports these candidates. :ganishka:

Anyway, let the 2012 shitstorm begin! I will be representing the unenthusiastic yet dutiful pragmatists. When voting, please consider the ramifications for the supreme court and not the individuals you're electing, just in case you think nominees Obama and (spoiler alert) Romney are the same pragmatic guy (they might be, but for different reasons I suspect, and one chose to be the democrat and republican version respectively, which will likely mean they will lean that way to keep up appearances).

As for Ron Paul... I like some of his nice sounding ideas too, he presents them well. It's just too bad that for all of his nice ideas about civil liberties and peace, he's got a bunch of typically, and some insanely, awful ones his supporters like to ignore. Those might be called his more "radical ideas," such as the racist, sexist, homophobic, and conspiratorial thoughts in the newsletters that he published for three decades. The one which he claims not have written, read, or known about despite his name, picture, and personal details being in it. Ok, that's an old smear, except that he's still never actually explained it beyond that. Let's talk policy though, like his adherence to market and supposedly libertarian individualism over a system more representative of the 20th century American society. Advocating for small to minimal government rather than smarter government at the expense of social programs, whether you like them or not, doesn't seem all that original or refreshing either. I kind of like the idea of trying to fix what's wrong with those programs rather than blowing them up and seeing what we end up with (it could work out better!...?). Don't take my word for it though, I'm probably just a part of the New World Order that wants to repress him and his utopian vision for the future. You can read all about it in the "The Ron Paul Survival Report." Anyway, I honestly don't see what's so appealing about the guy. I mean, I see what's appealing about him, but not to the degree that every other young person gets swept up in him and ignores all the bad, or what justifies the sentiment that it would just be so bitchin' if he we're the President, which seems to be the platform of his army of Internet supporters.

Griffith said:
Not even the GOP supports these candidates. :ganishka:

Anyway, let the 2012 shitstorm begin! I will be representing the unenthusiastic yet dutiful pragmatists. When voting, please consider the ramifications for the supreme court and not the individuals you're electing, just in case you think nominees Obama and (spoiler alert) Romney are the same pragmatic guy (they might be, but for different reasons I suspect, and one chose to be the democrat and republican version respectively, which will likely mean they will lean that way to keep up appearances).

As for Ron Paul... I like some of his nice sounding ideas too, he presents them well. It's just too bad that for all of his nice ideas about civil liberties and peace, he's got a bunch of typically, and some insanely, awful ones his supporters like to ignore. Those might be called his more "radical ideas," such as the racist, sexist, homophobic, and conspiratorial thoughts in the newsletter that he published for three decades. The one which he claims not have written, read, or known about despite his name, picture, and personal details being in it. Ok, that's an old smear, except that he's still never actually explained it beyond that. Let's talk policy though, like his adherence to market and supposedly libertarian individualism over a system more representative of the 20th century American society. Advocating for small to minimal government rather than smarter government at the expense of social programs, whether you like them or not, doesn't seem all that original or refreshing either. I kind of like the idea of trying to fix what's wrong with those programs rather than blowing them up and seeing what we end up with (it could work out better!...?). Don't take my word for though, I'm probably just a part of the New World Order that wants to repress him and his utopian vision for the future. You can read all about it in the "The Ron Paul Survival Report." Anyway, I honestly don't see what's so appealing about the guy. I mean, I see what's appealing about him, but not to the degree that every other young person gets swept up in him and ignores everything else, or what justifies the sentiment that it would just be so bitchin' if he we're the President, which seems to be the platform of his army of Internet supporters.

You are my favorite person in this forum. :judo:
I wish I could have a vote in this election but I can't yet. :c

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm so burned out on Ron Paul. He was refreshing and intersting when I first noticed him in 2008 but since then he's went off the deep end with some ideas (GOLD!). He still seems to have a massive fanbase (especially on the internet) but he's got no chance of winning the republican primary. Honestly, he's the type of republican I can deal with (for what Griffth said. Smaller Gov, peace, civil liberties). Despite some of his wacky ideas he at least has his principles. Unfortunately he doesn't have the money or the charisma (if you can call it that) to beat Romney, who will buy or say just about anything to win. That tells you something about the republican party. They are going support whoever can beat Obama, no matter how batshit crazy they are.

Griffith

Oburi said:
Unfortunately he doesn't have the money or the charisma (if you can call it that) to beat Romney, who will buy or say just about anything to win. That tells you something about the republican party. They are going support whoever can beat Obama, no matter how batshit crazy they are.

I don't think it's unfortunate Paul won't be able to compete; if he we're elected and actually did the things he's proposing (he probably couldn't if he wanted to), it would affect the world economy like shutting down the containment grid in Ghostbusters. Also, you've got it backwards on Romney, Republicans DON'T support him, even his self-identified supporters are weakly behind him compared to other candidates, and everyone else is the batshit crazy choice (Paul, Santorum, Gingrich), while Mitt Romney is a socially moderate technocrat not unlike Obama (you decide what's the scariest part in all that). Remember, Romney's the guy that actually successfully enacted Obamacare in his state back when it was Romneycare. That's going to be the sell come the general, "Hey independents, dems, and lefties, our vanilla 'conservative' might not be much different from Obama anyway, and maybe we'll cooperate enough with this guy to get shit done and you can do all the bitching about how we're screwing up and let us be the disillusioned when our guy makes the same compromises yours' is." If you're already sore at Obama for not living up to the progressive ideal of him anyway, what's the downside? Well, like I said, it's when an already conservative supreme court becomes more conservative and those civil liberties become even more tenuous than they already are, but that's the kind of stuff people don't really worry about until 30 years after the fact.

Walter said:
My vote is secured.

I was grasping for the right sentiment and you nailed it.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Given the shit storm that is the GOP, and the general feeling I have towards Obama...I won't be voting this year.

Ron Paul had my support at one point, and he still does in a way, but his plan to deconstruct the goverment so much would mean that my sister wouldn't get her medicare each month (on which she relies since she has a developmental disorder). I can't have my sister out in the cold because of one man's ideas, so I can't bring myself to vote for him. And I agree to the umpteenth degree with Griffith about RP's supporters leaving out the shitty ideas he has for their personal freedoms. I'm all for personal freedoms, but eventually you have to get back to reality and realize that it's just a guideline and not some set-in-stone fact (like the Bible :troll: ).

So, no, I won't be voting this year. Paul won't get the nom, and the very idea of Romney or Santorum getting the nod makes me sick to my stomach. The Republican party actually used to be something worthwhile, but now they're just some cheap knock-off of a bad reality TV series.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Also, you've got it backwards on Romney, Republicans DON'T support him, even his self-identified supporters are weakly behind him compared to other candidates, and everyone else is the batshit crazy choice (Paul, Santorum, Gingrich), while Mitt Romney is a socially moderate technocrat not unlike Obama (you decide what's the scariest part in all that). Remember, Romney's the guy that actually successfully enacted Obamacare in his state back when it was Romneycare. That's going to be the sell come the general, "Hey independents, dems, and lefties, our vanilla 'conservative' might not be much different from Obama anyway, and maybe we'll cooperate enough with this guy to get shit done and you can do all the bitching about how we're screwing up and let us be the disillusioned when our guy makes the same compromises yours' is."

You're absolutely right. Even Romney is too moderate for conservatives. What I meant is just that if it did come down to Romney or Obama, Republicans, despite all their reservations, would go with Romney simply because their hate for Obama supersedes their disgust for Romney.

"Hey independents, dems, and lefties, our vanilla 'conservative' might not be much different from Obama anyway,

Lol, I think there's a small percentage of republicans who already know that. And that's the point.

How much of chance do you think Romney would have against Obama? Like honestly.

Griffith

Oburi said:
How much of chance do you think Romney would have against Obama? Like honestly.

The best chance anyone has. He's a safe, vanilla alternative thats not offensive enough to really mobilize the left against him, and the right will fall in line. It's not like people have to support Romney, they might just be voting against the Obama or the economy, or staying home for no good reason like johnstantine. That's how Romney can win, and if the economy doesn't improve, or gets worse, he could basically win by default.

Griffith

The first Colbert Super Pac ad airing in South Carolina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aix7tQMdJ3s

H

hellrasinbrasin

Nope. I don't like, any of the GOP Candidates; nor do I like Obama. And since we know, none of the GOP Candidates; has a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected. People will, have to settle for another round; of Obama as President of the US.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
hellrasinbrasin said:
Nope. I don't like, any of the GOP Candidates; nor do I like Obama. And since, we know none of the GOP Candidates; has a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected.
You know who, will be back for another 2 years; of the same old same old.

Can't tell if trolling or just bad with grammar and punctuation.

And numbers.

H

hellrasinbrasin

My grammar, is not an issue Johnstantine; just the state of affairs in the US.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
My grammar, is not an issue Johnstantine; just the state of affairs in the US.

Your punctuation problem is a pretty big issue as far as this forum is concerned though. Seriously man, how about you just stick to periods and skip commas and semi-colons? It will make your posts a lot more enjoyable to read for others.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Fine. Last thing I need is to unintentionally cause a situation where it wasn't intended.

I'll vote. Even if I'm disenchanted with my options, I always go and vote for who I think best represents my ideals. The last few elections, I didn't love any candidate. My guy won last time, didn't love him then, don't love him now. Hate Obama fever. He's just another politician. Let's stop living in fantasy land. That's what Berserk's for.

Will I give him my vote again? I don't want to. (Ready the guillotine fellow enlightened Democrats.) I do know I don't really want to give Romney my vote either. This is what I go through. I think they're both sniveling weasels, who smile and say the right things to appease their base.

Also, I've noticed you can't criticize Obama without people going ape shit on you. Why? I'm not to say really outlandish things. When I say something like, "He's just another politicain", people act like I said, "Our president eats babies for breakfast!"

All politicians are full of shit. Pick the one you think is least full of it. If you don't vote though, shut your fucking face when it comes time to complain. I'd rather waste time arguing with someone on the other side of the aisle than argue with some dumbass who was too busy playing XBOX to get off his lazy ass and vote.

Griffith

Proj2501 said:
I'll vote. Even if I'm disenchanted with my options, I always go and vote for who I think best represents my ideals.

That's the way. Whether we like the candidate or not isn't even really the point.

Proj2501 said:
Hate Obama fever. He's just another politician. Let's stop living in fantasy land. That's what Berserk's for.

http://www.theonion.com/video/obama-win-causes-obsessive-supporters-to-realize-h,14287/

Not far from what's happened.

Proj2501 said:
I think they're both sniveling weasels, who smile and say the right things to appease their base.

Well, that's all cynical and good, but I don't think it's really worked out that way. Technically, their bases either don't like or are upset with them because they both pander to the center (not bad imo). This is mostly trouble for Romney with that whole Republican primary thing going on, but could still hurt Obama in November if the same lefty jerks that didn't vote for Gore in 2000 (before subsequently pining for/worshiping him =) pull the same shit because Obama didn't deliver that progressive utopia.

Proj2501 said:
Also, I've noticed you can't criticize Obama without people going ape shit on you. Why? I'm not to say really outlandish things. When I say something like, "He's just another politicain", people act like I said, "Our president eats babies for breakfast!"

That is odd, and not my experience. My friend who describes himself politically as "so left he's gone" had a great zing on Obama, "He's already as bad as any white President we've ever had." :ganishka: I do think he's more than just "another politician" though, but probably not even in the way you mean.

Proj2501 said:
All politicians are full of shit. Pick the one you think is least full of it.

Why does that matter? I almost prefer someone I know is full of shit. Let's me know they know most of this is shit, so I can trust their judgement. :guts:

Proj2501 said:
If you don't vote though, shut your fucking face when it comes time to complain. I'd rather waste time arguing with someone on the other side of the aisle than argue with some dumbass who was too busy playing XBOX to get off his lazy ass and vote.

:ubik:

Aazealh said:
I'd emigrate if I had the chance to be part of the 51st state. Moon base is so last century though. Here's my video reply to Newt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CeiPJaHuoQ

What could have been. If only the Republicans had got their act together and changed the constitution for an Arnold Presidency. At the very least Arnold would have had an amendment named after him. Oh well, hasta la vista, baby.

Proj2501 said:
All politicians are full of shit. Pick the one you think is least full of it. If you don't vote though, shut your fucking face when it comes time to complain. I'd rather waste time arguing with someone on the other side of the aisle than argue with some dumbass who was too busy playing XBOX to get off his lazy ass and vote.

I personally wouldn't want to waste my time arguing politics with anybody. Or arguing anything with anybody. None of the world's problems have ever been solved by two random nobodies screaming talking points at each other.

Oh. And I'm not going to vote. (Unless Gingrich is the Republican candidate because I promised I'd vote for him when he was first thinking about running, lmao.) And I'm definitely going to complain. Loudly and annoyingly and to anyone who has the misfortune of coming within a fifty mile radius of me. And I don't own an X-Box. Or really any other gaming device except a PS2 that no longer works.

Top Bottom