Your most hated words

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Giovanna said:
Rural.

In my native language, Portuguese, it's really simple to pronounce, but in English it's a complete torture :mozgus:

And I'm really curious: you guys have trouble or think it is annoying to pronounce it, or the problem it's me who is not an English native speaker?

No, most people just end up looking like idiots when they try to say it.

Johnstantine said:
No, most people just end up looking like idiots when they try to say it.

Thanks God! I had a landscape laboratory at Uni for 6 months and every time I had to present my work and say Rural I felt ~really~ retarded :ganishka:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
"Thanks!" has really started to bug me. Every work email I get ends with it. For example:
Hi Bob,

I forwarded you that email.

Thanks!
Bob
What the fuck are you thanking me for? Why the excitement? There are so many other ways to end an email, so stop with the thanks!

JMP said:
Huh, I also worked with a person who would say it, not as often as that, though. She was a pretty positive person, but sometimes shit just happened and it was her way of saying "Well, this sucks, let's accept it's suckage, quit whining about it and move forward." :ganishka: I guess it depends on the person who's using this phrase's attitude and the context it's used in. I never particularly liked the saying and sometimes it seems like people just use it to be dismissive, like "It sucks, but I don't want to deal with it."

Just today, my coworker said it three times.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
"Thanks!" has really started to bug me. Every work email I get ends with it. For example:What the fuck are you thanking me for? Why the excitement? There are so many other ways to end an email, so stop with the thanks!

I'm with you. I find this annoying as hell.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
N7Paladin said:
SJW
Beta Cuck
Alt-right
Echo chamber

I've gotten real sick and tired of hearing these all the time this past year.

Maybe you should hang out with a different crowd.

Natt_Himmel

"Just a guy who reads Berserk for fun."
Edgy

&

Arkansas/Bologna (I pronounced these words for years and nobody corrected me and even after I learned the real pronunciations I still read them wrong.)

Edit:

Forgot to mention that I also dislike the term: "I could care less" when you intend to imply that you dont care.. Its an unfinished statement which is roughly: "I could care less, but I dont know how."

However, when it's unfinished it implies that you do infact care, and it could be that you care a little, or a ton.

Natt_Himmel said:
Forgot to mention that I also dislike the term: "I could care less" when you intend to imply that you dont care.. Its an unfinished statement which is roughly: "I could care less, but I dont know how."

However, when it's unfinished it implies that you do infact care, and it could be that you care a little, or a ton.

It's required by state, federal, and international law that I post this every time someone brings that subject up:

http://blog.dictionary.com/could-care-less/ said:
When you want to colloquially express that you don’t care at all about something, you might say “I couldn’t care less.” This phrase first popped up in British English at the turn of the 20th century and is still popular today. In the 1960s, a controversial American variant of this phase entered popular usage: “I could care less.” Many native English speakers, both in the UK and US, find this expression to be logically flawed. If you couldn’t care less, then it’s impossible for you to care any less than you do. If you could care less, however (and you want to be taken literally), you’re saying that it is possible for you to care less than you care now. Those who take issue with this believe the later variant says very little about your level of caring, and so they fervidly avoid it.

Etymologists suggest that “I could care less” emerged as a sarcastic variant employing Yiddish humor. They point to the different intonations used in saying “I couldn’t care less” versus “I could care less.” The latter mirrors the intonation of the sarcastic Yiddish-English phrase “I should be so lucky!” where the verb is stressed.

The argument of logic falls apart when you consider the fact that both these phrases are idioms. In English, along with other languages, idioms aren’t required to follow logic, and to point out the lack of logic in one idiom and not all idioms is…illogical. Take the expression “head over heels,” which makes far less sense than “heels over head” when you think about the physics of a somersault. It turns out “heels over head” entered English around 1400, over 250 years before “head over heels,” however, the “logical” version of this idiom hasn’t been in popular usage since the late Victorian era.

So, interestingly enough, both are correct.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Skeleton Lucis Caelum CXV said:
So, interestingly enough, both are correct.

It also explains the emphasis in your Daiba signature! :guts:

Thank you everybody, I'll be here all week. :carcus:

OCD.

some people think they have OCD just because they like keeping things clean. this sounds offensive and stupid.

1.) "My OCD is kicking in every time I see Zodd's horn."

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
NoneTheNarrator said:
OCD.

some people think they have OCD just because they like keeping things clean. this sounds offensive and stupid.

It really is offensive. It's one thing to keep things clean, but that's not OCD. I dated someone who struggled with ritualized OCD. It's actually pretty scary to see.

Never really thought about it before, but this thread made me realize it probably is 'cuck' right now.

It just makes me cringe instantly. Just childish, insecure psuedo-alpha male nonsense.

That is likely the first and only time I will actually write that word out.

Code:
NoneTheNarrator said:
OCD.

I think its more of that they don't know what else to call it or its just easy to throw out there.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Here are three words I now hate thanks to two different friends.

Yummy - If you don't have young children, don't use this word casually. I might make an exception if you're eating something in the moment and just automatically say "Yummy!" like it's the world's best BLT.

Yucky - Okay, you're 40. Stop it. STOP. No, coffee isn't "yucky" because you have the palate of a 3 year old. I will not except this even as an automatic response of disgust, because that is why you use "EW."

Protein - I can stand hearing it said once but please stop after once. Yes, you need protein after exercising. No, you don't need to repeatedly tell me or anyone that you now need protein.

Top Bottom