God Hand & Idea of Evil Speculation

I would like to discuss various questions and theories regarding the two entities.

Idea of Evil

The Idea of Evil is man’s desired God. Born from man’s dark feelings, it is a common consciousness that transcends individuality, acting as the ego of the world. Man desired a reason for the destiny that kept transcending its knowledge. The Idea of Evil provides that reason by manipulating human events through causality. It lies deep in the Abyss, weaving its web of causality to float up to the surface of the Physical world.

God Hand

The five spiritual entities that carry out the will of god. The God Hand do not possess bodies outside the Nexus, but can influence human affairs in areas of great evil. During a Sacrificial Ceremony in the Nexus, a God Hand has supreme power over all its inhabitants.

Causality

The law of cause and effect. Every action has a reaction, whether its nature is known to us or not. Everything in the Berserk world is bound to the strings of Causality. Each person's situation and even emotional states are tempered through years of careful, causal manipulation. This is, among other possible motives, the Idea of Evil's method for delivering a world ripe for a saviour to Griffith.

My Questions are:

The Idea of Evil is relative to the evils of the world. The world is relative to the currents of Causality. Does this mean the Idea of Evil too is within Causality and its events? Unable to escape a preordained fate/flow of causality what what must/will happen. Or is it indeed out side of its flow?

If the Idea of Evils Influences travels through layers, it does weaken/ taper off through out each correct? If so, now that the layers through Femto have combine creatures of greater influences are appearing, could the Abyss and the Idea of Evil its self perhaps manifest? Does the layers being combined make the Idea of Evil any closer to the physical realm than before? Because the God Hand to manifested in the physical world when the layers combined, or was that just their choice to manifest at the of defeat of Ganishka?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
The Idea of Evil is relative to the evils of the world. The world is relative to the currents of Causality. Does this mean the Idea of Evil too is within Causality and its events? Unable to escape a preordained fate/flow of causality what what must/will happen. Or is it indeed out side of its flow?
The Idea of Evil was born of man to give life a reason -- a larger picture than surviving day to day. Causality is the way in which it shapes mankind to this purpose. So then, it stands to reason that it's within the Idea of Evil's control.

If the Idea of Evils Influences travels through layers, it does weaken/ taper off through out each correct?
I don't think that's correct, no. I think you have to first cast away any notions that the IoE has a remote control over the will of humanity. It's not an absolute order to obey its commands. So, you have to consider what the IoE does to manipulate humanity. The most telling example is what it says to Griffith during Episode 83:

[quote author=Kentarou Miura, Episode 83]By influencing the lower levels of human consciousness
And merging blood with blood
I created the lineage that would give birth to the man you are
To pave the way for the times you would be born in
I manipulated History
And created an appropriate context for you[/quote]

The IoE's throne of control is within the human subconsciousness. I believe that it's speaking metaphorically here about arranging for bloodlines to be merged through subtle manipulation. But even so, that's no small feat. And it certainly proves that layers don't stand as barriers to its control.

If so, now that the layers through Femto have combine creatures of greater influences are appearing, could the Abyss and the Idea of Evil its self perhaps manifest? Does the layers being combined make the Idea of Evil any closer to the physical realm than before? Because the God Hand to manifested in the physical world when the layers combined, or was that just their choice to manifest at the of defeat of Ganishka?
Well, the Abyss itself is a massive, massive plane of existence. It's not like ... I dunno, Africa or something that has physical shape, that will suddenly be thrust into the world.

To the rest of your questions, I don't have answers because you're asking about the motivations of the God Hand. But ... the God Hand don't exist on the same level as the Idea of Evil though. That much I believe we can say with certainty. So what happens with them doesn't necessarily apply to the IoE.

I always wondered, what exactly is meant by the IoE controlling mankind through causality. Because that is kind of self evident.
Anyone Controlling anything does so by means of cause and effect. And , I may be wrong, in my understanding the IoE cannot change the consequences of something directly. It can manipulate the human subconsciousness, that is all. That and give people near godlike powers.
So I would think, that the IoE is indeed bound to the law of causality. It came to be for a reason and it does what it does for this reason.
Or am I confusing my understanding of causality with "the law of causality" as mentioned by Void? Are there differences (this one might have been discussed here already)?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gaahl said:
So I would think, that the IoE is indeed bound to the law of causality. It came to be for a reason and it does what it does for this reason.
Like I said in the earlier post, before the IoE came around, there was likely no grand scheme for humanity. It set in motion the series of events that created this new world.

But, like Void says, EVERYTHING is bound to the law of causality. So maybe he means the boss, too. And yes, I believe that answers your second question.

Top Bottom