Resident Evil: Revelations

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Finished the Resident Evil Revelations demo. It's pretty short, but also pretty nice. Controls take some time getting used to (the Circle Pad Pro would probably help), but it's quite refreshing to be able to aim and move at the same time. The game's biggest asset is its graphics engine though, looks very good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The demo was very impressive. Visually, it's beyond anything else on the 3DS. Everyone who owns one should try it out. Also, before you start the game, go into the game's options and turn up the "Enhance 3D Depth Slider" to strong. Looks much better with that fully enabled.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I forgot to mention:
the "bad guy" at the end looks like another Alfred. Gah!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Set the 3D depth slider to very strong and your eyes will cross, and that's coming from someone that only uses the 3DS with the slider maxed. Anyway, it was a nice mix of both new and old school as well as big and small scale gameplay. The top screen looks new and fancy but plays solid if a bit clunky, and the bottom screen feels classic but takes seemless advantage of the 3DS's unique modern capabilities. That was more impressive to me than the big boy graphics on display. In a nutshell, it didn't feel like it was settling for being a portable port, but had the kind of progressive ideas you'd think of in the context of a flagship console release. That's extrapolating of course, but the potential is there.

On the other hand, whose brilliant idea was the play limit on the demo, Nintendo's or Capcom's? Whoever it was I bet the other couldn't wait to congratulate them on a truly worthless dick move. I guess now I can't just play the ten minute demo a thousand times in lieu of purchasing the full game; curses, just like I had planned!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Set the 3D depth slider to very strong and your eyes will cross, and that's coming from someone that only uses the 3DS with the slider maxed. Anyway, it was a nice mix of both new and old school as well as big and small scale gameplay. The top screen looks new and fancy but plays solid if a bit clunky, and the bottom screen feels classic but takes seemless advantage of the 3DS's unique modern capabilities. That was more impressive to me than the big boy graphics on display. In a nutshell, it didn't feel like it was settling for being a portable port, but had the kind of progressive ideas you'd think of in the context of a flagship console release. That's extrapolating of course, but the potential is there.

Agreed. I actually was very pleased with the inventory menu. Probably the best RE inventory I've seen so far. That aside, the old school vibe was strongly there despite the ability to shoot while you move. Very promising.

Griffith said:
On the other hand, whose brilliant idea was the play limit on the demo, Nintendo's or Capcom's? Whoever it was I bet the other couldn't wait to congratulate them on a truly worthless dick move. I guess now I can't just play the ten minute demo a thousand times in lieu of purchasing the full game; curses, just like I had planned!

Yeah, I couldn't help but laugh at that. What's the point?

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Agreed. I actually was very pleased with the inventory menu. Probably the best RE inventory I've seen so far. That aside, the old school vibe was strongly there despite the ability to shoot while you move. Very promising.

Yeah, I liked the inventory for a change too, and the FPS aiming mode. Solves both the moving issue as well as compensating for screen size; very clever.

Also, on ¨HELL¨ difficulty it was a downright return to survival horror, letting me dust off my evasion and conservation skills. Though, one downside was the literally faceless grey enemies aren't very scary (except the one with cactus arms that'll fuck you up). I like them as stand-alone creatures, just not sure they can carry the game. The uniform design is certainly condusive to the medium, but, while I appreciate the ingenuity of that, it's arguably the weakest aspect of the graphics and definitely not the corner to cut. I would have preferred identical zombie sailors, but we'll see what else they've got. :)

One thing I absolutely hope they fix in the final release is their mouths moving when they talk. As in, they don't.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Received the game this morning, bundled with the Circle Pad Pro. Played an hour and so far so good. The dual thumbsticks + shoulder buttons controls are great, though my left wrist did get pretty tired after a while. Probably need to find a more comfortable way to hold the system.

Griffith said:
One thing I absolutely hope they fix in the final release is their mouths moving when they talk. As in, they don't.

The mouths move during cinematics (even ones using the game engine), but not when they talk while running around.

Griffith

Death May Die said:

What, you're used to typos from Resident Evil or you're deeming the whole game a "miss" because of a typo on a promotional release? I find either statement pretty questionable, though I'm sure the series has plenty of typos in it.

I'm more concerned with some of the stuff in that IGN review despite the score, since their real job is to basically promote the industry and over-hype flagship releases (e.g. Skyward Sword). Some it actually sounded promising though;
hunters!? Will that mean... zombies?

Aazealh said:
Received the game this morning, bundled with the Circle Pad Pro. Played an hour and so far so good. The dual thumbsticks + shoulder buttons controls are great, though my left wrist did get pretty tired after a while. Probably need to find a more comfortable way to hold the system.

I'm jealous, why is Europe getting this before ME!? :mozgus: Anyway, when my hands start going numb (:ganishka:) I sit up with the system low for better circulation, but it sounds like with the circle pad it should be done from the start.

Aazealh said:
The mouths move during cinematics (even ones using the game engine), but not when they talk while running around.

Swing and a miss!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Some it actually sounded promising though;
hunters!? Will that mean... zombies?

No zombies so far, but yeah it was pretty cool to see Hunters, and doubly so in the context they appear in.
Believe it or not but so far (I'm about 4 hours in) I actually think the story isn't too bad. Of course the worst could have yet to come, but I'm entertaining this vague hope that with RE5 and Wesker's death, they've finally isolated and cauterized the horror that had sprouted from retconning his death. It's consistent with the post-Umbrella universe they've established (while ever-expanding it) and not too cheesy. I even like the supporting cast so far (specifically Parker). As for the enemies, I haven't been bothered by a lack of variety.
You switch settings and characters often enough that it isn't an issue (a clever way around the system's limitations).

I had one boss fight so far and it was pretty cool. Not too easy to get through even though I didn't die.
One other thing: you don't choose when you save, it's all done automatically when reaching certain checkpoints. I like the system because the checkpoints don't come too often and so I genuinely don't want to die. As far as ammo goes, you won't be strapped for bullets if you're used to the series, but you're not swimming in them either. Furthermore, the amount of items you can carry with you at all times is limited, so you have an incentive to blast away at the infected instead of trying to dodge/knife them all (which I believe you can do). You can also punch some enemies when they're down, which is a feature I've greatly enjoyed in the past and am glad they brought back.

On another note, this is the game that's had me use 3D the most since I got the console. Just can't resist the allure of Jill's backside, y'know? :troll: Seriously though, graphically speaking the game is really nice and fully delivers on its pre-release promises. You can tell Capcom pushed the hardware as far as it could, and it unfortunately shows during certain in-game load scenes (e.g. taking an elevator to another part of the ship) where if you attempt to do something instead of patiently waiting (e.g. moving around while taking aim) the framerate will get pretty low, even to the point of stuttering. It's too bad they couldn't find a way to prevent it, but it's not been much of a bother to me. Overall it's clear this is a serious effort and a main title in the series. You can tell Capcom takes the 3DS very seriously as a platform. Even the few touchscreen puzzles they've put in feel like a neat touch.

Also worth noting is that the game features a kind of achievement system. Not something Nintendo will be able to hold back much longer.

Griffith said:
I'm jealous, why is Europe getting this before ME!? :mozgus: Anyway, when my hands start going numb (:ganishka:) I sit up with the system low for better circulation, but it sounds like with the circle pad it should be done from the start.

Hehehe, I'm actually pretty happy that we're getting more and more games earlier than you guys. Not that it's something I wish for (simultaneous releases are all I ever wanted), but after 20 years of being disregarded it's quite pleasing. :guts: Regarding the Circle Pad Pro, it's not so much my hands getting numb as it is my wrist itself getting tired. Not sure how or why it happens, but I figure I'll get used to it sooner or later.

Griffith said:
Swing and a miss!

To be fair you're not really supposed to stay still and look at your partner's mouth during those scenes. =)

I don't have a 3DS yet but considering buying one just for this game. To those who have the game how would you rate it? Does is it warrant a 3DS purchase?

mazinken said:
I don't have a 3DS yet but considering buying one just for this game. To those who have the game how would you rate it? Does is it warrant a 3DS purchase?

Thats how I was with CV and the Dreamcast, and to be honest... I was very pleased. Go for it.

Death May Die said:
Thats how I was with CV and the Dreamcast, and to be honest... I was very pleased. Go for it.
Oh well I am gonna buy me one tommorow but the thing is I have a lazy left eye so watching 3D can cause me pain and I think the 3DS was done specially to view games in 3D. Am I messing to much if I played it while switching 3D off?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mazinken said:
Am I messing to much if I played it while switching 3D off?

It's not dramatic. The 3D effect is a nice plus, akin to HD on TVs, but not using it won't ruin your experience or anything.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
So whose going to get this game tomorrow and/or the circle pad?
I'm getting it, but no circle pad pro for me. If it was bundled with the game for $10 extra, like they did in Europe, I might have considered it. But $20? No thanks...

I really want to try the circle pad to see what kind of a difference it makes. I read that it was borderline necessary for upcoming Snake Eater 3D.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
I really want to try the circle pad to see what kind of a difference it makes. I read that it was borderline necessary for upcoming Snake Eater 3D.
Aaz has it, and he's given his impressions of it in this thread.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Hey Aazealh, if you've already beaten the game, about how long does it last? Whats the replay value?? Thanks.

I actually haven't had the time to beat it yet, but I'm 7 hours in and still going (not rushing). I've been told that it's around 10 hours long, so about as much as the other games in the series. As for replay value, it's typical of a RE game. You can play the campaign again in a harder difficulty mode, you have ratings for each episode (accuracy, number of deaths, time spent) and there are achievements. There's also a cool streetpass function included in the game (apparently it gives you "missions" when you meet other people) but I haven't had the opportunity to try it out so far. And aside from that there are other modes but I haven't delved into them yet either.

Griffith

frankencowx said:
Thanks. Trying to figure out if I want this game or not.

Not to sound like a shill, but it's supposed to be the most state of the art title on the 3DS, so if you already own one why is that even a consideration? If you're already this interested there's no point in not playing the game unless it's downright bad, and nobody is saying that, quite the contrary in fact.

I'm probably picking mine up today, we'll see about the circle pad. I'll probably spring for it, despite the cost, because I don't want to shortchange the gameplay experience for this or Snake Eater. Hopefully, the expense will be further justified with the release of these and other circle pad titles. Oh, and because I'm sucker.

Sorry let me rephrase that. I do want this game. Was trying to determine if this was a worthy investment or not. You're probably right, considering the 3DS library. My local gamestop is all out. Looks like its time to pull some teeth at wally world to get someone to open up a game cabinet for me.

Picked up the game yesterday... first impressions: Visuals are stellar. Music is pretty good. I experience the same problem as Aazealh with Circle Pad, but its my right wrist and thumb instead of left.. I've never had a problem with 3D, always play with full 3D on, but with this game with full 3D on I still sometimes see double images: particularly lights and things. I'm holding it straight too. Its kind of jarring. I sometimes wish for a sensitivity option for turning, or a run button. Things can feel kind of clunky when it gets tight and you have 9 gribblies on you.
I love the segments in the ship, however characters and settings that take place outside the ship are less exciting, and pull me out of the experience sometimes..
Probably still the best game out on 3DS though.. until Snake Eater that is.

edit: I'm really digging raid mode.

Top Bottom