Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 1

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 1: http://skullknight.net/podcast/Podcast1.mp3

I gathered Aazealh and Griffith to talk about recent Berserk news, including Episode 326, the newest footage from the Berserk Saga project, and all sorts of other stuff that happened to cross our minds while talking. We'd never actually had a group chat like this before, in all our years working together, so some funny stuff comes up as a result of that.

Some small technical issues aside, this first episode went by very smoothly, and we all had a lot of fun recording it. We used Skype for this recording, and it was a trial run in terms of audio leveling. I hope the sound quality doesn't cause any headaches. I know it's low at some points, and high in others. But I'll make sure that isn't an issue on future episodes.

I think the plan is to do another episode of this once Ep. 327 lands and we have more to talk about. I intend to implement some Q+A from the forum for a section on the podcast. I'll also be having some other forum members as guests on the show in the future. I hope you guys enjoy, and please give me some feedback on what you'd like to see moving forward.

========================
Episode 1 Notes:

Introductions
  • Who you are
  • Roles on SKnet
  • How long following series

Berserk News
  • Perspective break after the Sea God section?
  • Talk about this Chapter so far
  • Rest of volume predictions (327-333)

Anime Project launch weekend
  • 10 minute impressions?
  • Miura's involvement
  • Good or Bad for Berserk overall?
  • Movie Project VS Anime Series

Off Topic
  • What've you been playing/watching/reading?
  • Contacting Skully
  • What's next for podcast?

================

Next episode: Tentatively Feb. 12.
Subject: God Hand; Ep. 327
Guest: Gobulatula

The SkullKast is now available on iTunes or any other Podcast program, by subscribing to: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml

Oburi

All praise Grail
I LOVE this. This was awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this (clearly not watching the superbowl :azan:). Most of the stuff I already knew or figured out (Griff is has no role as an admin and Aaz has a funny accent :troll:) but it was very cool hearing you guys go round the table.

Seriously though when you guys start discussing current episodes this will be perfect. I think I see a future in this for sure. It was also very professionally done. Walter is perfect as the host (but I can tell you guys don't have kids with all the cursing).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Griff is has no role as an admin
That's not really what he said... :femto:

Seriously though when you guys start discussing current episodes this will be perfect. I think I see a future in this for sure.
But we did discuss the current episode...? :???:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Sorry I'm still listening actually. Its great anyway and will continue to be great with new episodes.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
Griff is has no role as an admin

I have a role: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos

Anyway, I need to work on my radio voice and mic skills (especially pronunciation), but I had a lot of fun chatting with the guys even if it sounded like I was on laughing gas. Walter and Aaz were both wonderful and I often caught myself listening to them like I was listening to a live podcast. I think I came off a little hard on the anime adaptations in general (read words like "terrible" and "shit" like "flawed" or "could be better"), but it was in the moment and genuine. I'm not super excited about the new anime in that sense, but I'm sure once I see it I'll do an about face and fall in line with it, at least in the "Berserk music video" mentality. Otherwise I'll think Miura should have told them...

Breaking Bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLMF7p8hO7A
:guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Actually Griff I think you sounded really good. For pronunciation I didn't even notice until you corrected yourself because I say "manga" or whatever the same way. The whole thing was just very well done for a first show. All three of you guys brought up interesting tidbits, some of which I hadn't even thought of. This has so much potential.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I think I came off a little hard on the anime adaptations in general (read words like "terrible" and "shit" like "flawed" or "could be better"), but it was in the moment and genuine.
I feel the same way about how I slammed the producer. I got caught up in the moment. It was a weird phenomena, like mob mentality. Yeah, fuck that guy! :ganishka:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
It's weird that after all these years, to actually get to listen to all of you guys. I've always liked the chemistry of you 3 as a result in both podcast and obviously this forum. Kudos!

turkitage

ターク
Just got done listening to it. I'm very impressed at how good it was for the first time. I agree with Oburi on Walter being an excellent host and cleary he has done this before or something similar to his line of work. The preparation was great and going from topic to topic was pretty fluid.

Some thoughts:

• Intro music = awesome! You should add an outro music as well.
  • I felt the introductions were just right as far as time wise.
  • Aaz and Griff used a lot of "you know" - I do this a lot too, just being constructive.
  • I like the off topic at the end and feel it's a good transition to wrap up the show and future shows.
  • A list of topics discussed in the podcast on the episode post would be cool - even though it's a pretty casual podcast. (Sorry, now I'm just being greedy).

Walter said:
I intend to implement some Q+A from the forum for a section on the podcast. I'll also be having some other forum members as guests on the show in the future. I hope you guys enjoy, and please give me some feedback on what you'd like to see moving forward.

Q&A and forum members as guest would be great. While I still like the show's meat and potatos focusing on berserk itself, I think the following might be some good off topics as well:

• I would definitely like to hear from the moderators as well. How they got to be a moderator? What's their story? What is it about their respected sections they find so appealing?
  • On the Off topic discussion: I think it would be nice to hear any quick comments/thoughts on recent/interesting threads that cropped up on the forum that week like the creation station, Berserk Micellaneous, etc.
  • Discussion on older threads/topics that have been long forgotten about.
  • Theories/thoughts on why certain parts of the adaptation got cut out/shorten or altered (examples: like Guts childhood or why the god hand members are on different parts of the hand that Aaz mentioned recently.)

Anyways, overall this was fantastic! Oh, and nice hearing you guys too. I guess I should go to some of the other forums and tell them you guys aren't actually bots!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
For a first time podcast it was pretty good! I enjoyed the overall atmosphere and input that you guys gave us as listeners, not only of yourselves but also of Berserk. I don't know what format you will follow to make every episode for this podcasts. Will it be, weekly,biweekly or sometimes just do it when some big news come out, or give a more in depth discussion about an episode that just came out, and also dark horse releases. Thanks for giving up some of your time to make this possible. I hope this helps the forum as well to have a better discussion after we listen to you guys and guests in the coming future. :ubik: :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Turkitage said:
    cleary he has done this before or something similar to his line of work. The preparation was great and going from topic to topic was pretty fluid.
    Thanks a lot, but nah, I've never done anything like this professionally. Well ... I was involved in a handful of podcasts for one of my previous newspapers, but it was a long time ago, and I just did a small segment. Mostly I just listen to some well-produced podcasts, so I know what a good podcast is supposed to sound and flow like. I'm really surprised it flowed as well as it did given the thrown-together production we pulled today. We never even really tested it, just hit record and went with it.

Hence the LEVEL problems :mozgus:

• Intro music = awesome! You should add an outro music as well.
    Gotta admit, it does sound good, but I'm very hesitant to use Hirasawa's music because of licensing issues. However, I've got something even better (and more legal) than that lined up for the next episode. Once I'm comfortable with the legal end, I'll put it up on iTunes.

• Aaz and Griff used a lot of "you know" - I do this a lot too, just being constructive.
    To be fair, I spent a lot of time planning this thing, and then basically sprung it on the other guys all at the same time this afternoon with little warning. So they weren't as prepared as me. :void:

• A list of topics discussed in the podcast on the episode post would be cool - even though it's a pretty casual podcast. (Sorry, now I'm just being greedy).
    I thought about it, and I wouldn't mind sharing the show notes we prepare once we're done with them. But in this episode we tended to go off topic a few times, so it might not be the most accurate thing without updating it.

However, YOU GUYS could come up with some retroactively :serpico:

• I would definitely like to hear from the moderators as well. How they got to be a moderator? What's their story? What is it about their respected sections they find so appealing?
    I'm sure we'll get moderators on the show soon enough. I've got the next two shows' guests more or less secured. It's really more an issue of WHEN others will be on.

• On the Off topic discussion: I think it would be nice to hear any quick comments/thoughts on recent/interesting threads that cropped up on the forum that week like the creation station, Berserk Micellaneous, etc.
    Yeah forum stuff will definitely come up, and we plan to incorporate it into the show. It's just that this episode was already crowded with the news discussion.

• Theories/thoughts on why certain parts of the adaptation got cut out/shorten or altered (examples: like Guts childhood or why the god hand members are on different parts of the hand that Aaz mentioned recently.)
    Yep, that's on next ep's show notes.

Anyways, overall this was fantastic! Oh, and nice hearing you guys too. I guess I should go to some of the other forums and tell them you guys aren't actually bots!
    There are other forums..? :badbone:

Th3Branded0ne said:
    Will it be, weekly,biweekly or sometimes just do it when some big news come out, or give a more in depth discussion about an episode that just came out, and also dark horse releases. Thanks for giving up some of your time to make this possible. I hope this helps the forum as well to have a better discussion after we listen to you guys and guests in the coming future. :ubik: :ubik:
    It's up to the other guys and our schedules, but ideally, I'd like to do a new episode for every Berserk episode release, to be posted the Sunday after the release. If there's an extended break, then once a month would be fair, I think. We're still discussing it, and seeing if it'd be feasible to do it more often.

As for Dark Horse release discussion, I'd like to have a re-read section of the podcast where we all collectively read through a volume beforehand, and then come to the show with our thoughts on it. I just think it might be too boring for listeners. We'll see.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great first episode guys, congrats! Gobs and I were listening to it together earlier today, and we both got a kick out of hearing your discussion. I'll be counting the days till the next episode! :guts:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I just finished listening and I thought it went really well for your 1st podcast! :serpico:

It was great hearing your guys' voices!

I didn't expect Walter to have such a deep voice.
I was expecting Aazealh to sound like Optimus Prime or something. :troll:
and Griffith sounded just like I imagined him to sound like. :ganishka:

and as for improvements to your podcast.. I would copy and paste Turkitage's post.

I'm really looking forward to your next podcast!

Whoa, this's incredible. I mean, reading posts of people I look up to in the Berserk world is one thing, now listening to those mentors is excellent, I can't thank you guys enough for your effort and the idea. I hope this continues and we get to hear your opinions more.

Your views on the movie - having seen the movie, do you think Miura would be unhappy enough to tell the studios not to adapt more movies after the Golden Age ones because the story, sacred to him and us all, is not being adapted to it's complete potential and he'd rather keep his story in the form of a manga versus have movies or OVA's with chopped off/ different version of the story? If he lets studios continue do what they do (leaving things out/ bad art/ switching stuff around), would that make you lose 0.000005% respect for him, in the sense, do you think a true artist would say "Hey adapt this the right way, or get out" you know? If you were Miura, what would you do? Sorry for the 3 part intertwined question =_=

Your view/ prediction of how you think Guts comes on top of the current situation, where he seems to be pushed away by the force of the heart/ heart's blood gushing out?

How do you think Griffith would react to news of Guts killing a big obstacle like the Sea God?

What other manga are you reading, outside of Berserk?

Aaz sounds a bit closer to a German too! Like Michael Schumacher or a German pal I hung out with a few months ago. Also, the pronunciation of your screen name sounds like Azealh with less emphasis on the extra A ^_^. Congrats on the promotion, Walter. Would love to hear more on Vagabond from you, Sir Griffith :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Whoa, this's incredible. I mean, reading posts of people I look up to in the Berserk world is one thing, now listening to those mentors is excellent, I can't thank you guys enough for your effort and the idea. I hope this continues and we get to hear your opinions more.
Thanks but I'm not comfortable being called a "mentor." That's really not how I see myself, for better or for worse. I'd rather just be known as a guy who's read Berserk for many years. Also the guy who stands up for Carcus, Magnifico, Gambino and Void!

do you think Miura would be unhappy enough to tell the studios not to adapt more movies after the Golden Age ones because the story, sacred to him and us all, is not being adapted to it's complete potential and he'd rather keep his story in the form of a manga versus have movies or OVA's with chopped off/ different version of the story?
He actually seemed quite pleased, if a little reserved, with the adaptation based on that phone interview I heard and read about.

If he lets studios continue do what they do (leaving things out/ bad art/ switching stuff around), would that make you lose 0.000005% respect for him, in the sense, do you think a true artist would say "Hey adapt this the right way, or get out" you know? If you were Miura, what would you do? Sorry for the 3 part intertwined question =_=
Nah, I think it's like Aaz said in the podcast. He's a mangaka, and he's probably not as concerned with those things.

Your view/ prediction of how you think Guts comes on top of the current situation, where he seems to be pushed away by the force of the heart/ heart's blood gushing out?
Yeah, we really should have gotten into that this episode, but we got deep into the Beast conversation and lost track of time. Though, I think our opinion on that topic would probably only fill a solid 10-20 seconds. And by the time we sit down to record the next one, 327 will already be out. So...

What other manga are you reading, outside of Berserk?
Pretty sure I know the answer to this for all of us, but I'll add it to the show notes for next episode.

Johnstantine said:
I lost my shit over Griff's free speech part and Aaz saying, "YOU CAN'T PROVE IT'S WRONG! HE'S A ROBOT!"
To me the funniest part was Aaz being mock-horrified at my jab at the release schedule. It's at 54:16. He sounded like Colossus from the X-Men Arcade Game. :ganishka:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Man, good podcast, guys. It was a great listen. I really liked all your movie talk. The intro segment was great, too. Got to learn a little more about you guys and the history of the site, which is cool as hell.

Haha, hearing your voices broke the illusion of how you all sounded in my head :rakshas:

Don't think Griffith had much to worry about. Podcasts are at their best when they are laid back and raw. Same with the swearing. The organization seems good, so no problem there.

Loved those "what-if" discussions on other studios that could have created an adaptation or why Miura decided on 4C to create an adaptation. Some worthwile in-depth discussion

[/quote]
Walter said:
I feel the same way about how I slammed the producer. I got caught up in the moment. It was a weird phenomena, like mob mentality. Yeah, fuck that guy! :ganishka:

Was surprised on how long you talked about the producer. I normally expect producers to steal the spotlight, at least when the film might make good on its returns, given how they are the ones financing "their" films. I didn't mind the criticism though--someone has to point out the bull in those kind of PR statements.
Then again, in my case, you're preaching to the choir in regards to apprehensions on whether the film will deliver the goods.

Great job overall in launching the podcast, it's off to a good start.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Roderick said:
Don't think Griffith had much to worry about. Podcasts are at their best when they are laid back and raw. Same with the swearing. The organization seems good, so no problem there.
Yeah, balancing laid back with planning is going to be delicate, but I think we managed it well enough this time around. It'll also feel less formal the more we do it, as we get more comfortable with the show format and using microphones instead of face-to-face conversation. Which I guess might translate to 100% swearing and drinking.

Drinking...? Hmmm. Hey, physical challenge for next episode: Vodka! ... Too soon?

Was surprised on how long you talked about the producer. I normally expect producers to steal the spotlight, at least when the film might make good on its returns, given how they are the ones financing "their" films. I didn't mind the criticism though--someone has to point out the bull in those kind of PR statements.
Oh, there's no doubt that I talked about him too long. I was wearing my reporter hat a little too tightly. Part of my day job is to pick apart PR statements to find the truth behind clever wording and turning of phrases. The way that producer was wording his sentences sent my "bullshit alarm bells" ringing, and I couldn't help put poke some holes in him for it. But I definitely came off too strong. I think having a microphone in front of you makes you say things you might not otherwise.

The next time I do that, someone on the show had better call me out on it :daiba:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
Oh, there's no doubt that I talked about him too long. I was wearing my reporter hat a little too tightly. Part of my day job is to pick apart PR statements to find the truth behind clever wording and turning of phrases. The way that producer was wording his sentences sent my "bullshit alarm bells" ringing, and I couldn't help put poke some holes in him for it. But I definitely came off too strong. I think having a microphone in front of you makes you say things you might not otherwise.

The next time I do that, someone on the show had better call me out on it :daiba:
Personally, I found it quite interesting and brought out a point of view that hadn't been brought up in the related thread. Or at least as far as I can remember from all the posts. In fact, it's the best time to be picking at these things when the hype is at it's peak and the like you mentioned, the movie hadn't been released yet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Turkitage said:
Aaz and Griff used a lot of "you know" - I do this a lot too, just being constructive.

Yeah, y'know, I..y'know, know. I didn't notice it until after the fact obviously, but I'll try to avoid it the next time.

Truder said:
I was expecting Aazealh to sound like Optimus Prime or something. :troll:

And instead I sound like some Nazi scientist from a B-movie. :ganishka:

IncantatioN said:
Your views on the movie - having seen the movie, do you think Miura would be unhappy enough to tell the studios not to adapt more movies after the Golden Age ones because the story, sacred to him and us all, is not being adapted to it's complete potential and he'd rather keep his story in the form of a manga versus have movies or OVA's with chopped off/ different version of the story?

Nah. Besides, he seemed happy enough.

IncantatioN said:
If he lets studios continue do what they do (leaving things out/ bad art/ switching stuff around), would that make you lose 0.000005% respect for him, in the sense, do you think a true artist would say "Hey adapt this the right way, or get out" you know?

Again, no. We're not privy to what's going on behind the scenes and we're not in a position to judge his decisions.

IncantatioN said:
If you were Miura, what would you do?

I don't try to put myself in his shoes.

Walter said:
Drinking...? Hmmm. Hey, physical challenge for next episode: Vodka! ... Too soon?

I don't mind. :iva:

Walter said:

Hey I tried to be more nuanced! But I somehow ended up calling him a jackass because of peer pressure! :ganishka:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I really enjoyed this podcast guys, I think I could listen to this once a week even... also, I have to start formulating complicated questions for you guys to answer on air, I don't want you to let your guard down for a moment. :troll:

In reality though, I'd love to hear more stuff about Miura's personal life or at least the glimpses into it that we sometimes get. Maybe some stories that one of you guys remember from the old days or some long-forgotten comments. I don't know, I'll try to think of something more concrete to ask before the next podcast. :serpico:

Top Bottom