The Amazing Spiderman

H

hellrasinbrasin

:: Summary ::

Peter Parker spends his days trying to unravel the mystery of his own past, until the day that he discovers a secret his father held that will ultimately send him down the path of becoming "Spider-Man".

:: Trailer ::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tnxzJ0SSOw

:ubik:

H

hellrasinbrasin

Why? As in why I'm supportive of this new project. Okay I can answer that.

While the idea of a Hard-Reboot doesn't sit well with me as the 3rd film was released not to long ago I'll see the new film anyway because I like Spiderman.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
...I must be getting old :sad:

I'm excited because Kirsten Derp isn't in them. She murdered the first trilogy for me (except for 3, which was, in itself, horrible). Spiderman is one of my all-time favorite characters, so I've always got an open mind for a movie series. At first I was skeptical because of the casting choice, but after seeing the trailer I think they did a great job with casting. Andrew Garfield actually looks like the Peter Parker from the comics (better than Maguire, I think), and Emma Stone will make a great Gwen Stacy.

Speaking of Stacy, that's one thing I never understood about the first trilogy. She wasn't brought in until the third fucking movie, yet she's one of the most important characters in the Spiderman mythos. And when they do bring her in, she's barely in the movie at all (I saw the movie once, so I may be wrong there).

Anyways, after the shit-storm that 3 was, this will be nice to see :guts:

Everything - color tones/ backgrounds/ performances - looks pretty synthetic and just BAD. Wait, the cast has well combed hair, yeah. I can watch Raimi's first 2 movies if I'm bored and there's nothing else on TV but this I wouldn't waste my time on. But, I can see it appealing to school kids.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
To elaborate, the trailer did not excite me. It looks like it's going to hit every note the first movie did. And if that's the case, what's the point? Did we really need another Spider-Man origin story? Were audiences clamoring for another Spider-Man movie in general after Spider-Man 3 shit the bed?

I think I'm just sick of comic-book movies in general. They've run their course.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
all i can say is... the costume looks cool.

I agree with Walter they have run their course. Since there have been so many super hero origin movies, the whole cops issuing the arrest for such and such vigilante is just annoying now. Though i doubt these movies will taking a break any time soon, no sooner than the release of countless super hero comics

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
To elaborate, the trailer did not excite me. It looks like it's going to hit every note the first movie did. And if that's the case, what's the point? Did we really need another Spider-Man origin story? Were audiences clamoring for another Spider-Man movie in general after Spider-Man 3 shit the bed?

I don't think it's fans so much. Look how well the first franchise did. It's a cash cow. Fans generally disapproved of the reboot since it hadn't even been a decade since the first movie came out. Luckily, it actually looks good for what they've done.

I think I'm just sick of comic-book movies in general. They've run their course.

For the most part, I agree with you. However, it's when they actually devise a coherent story for the movie and take away the comic cheese that I actually enjoy it (Green Lantern not being one of them).

IncantatioN said:
Everything - color tones/ backgrounds/ performances - looks pretty synthetic and just BAD. Wait, the cast has well combed hair, yeah. I can watch Raimi's first 2 movies if I'm bored and there's nothing else on TV but this I wouldn't waste my time on. But, I can see it appealing to school kids.

We must have seen two entirely different trailers. Not only do these actors actually look the age of their characters, they actually fit the bill of their comic counterparts in almost every aspect. Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker is an excellent choice, and Emma Stone is almost even better as Gwen Stacy. Comparing this movie to the Raimi movies, in the long run, will be like comparing apples to oranges.

Also, a wisecracking Peter Parker is what the original franchise was missing. I think we're getting that here, which is something the movie desperately needs.

Walter said:

You ever see that South Park episode where all Stan sees and hears is shit because he's getting older?

s-SOUTH-PARK-large300.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't like Maguire as Spiderman and overall I wasn't a fan of the Raimi movies. Still, I can't say I'm looking forward to this one either. This new trailer isn't too bad, I'll admit, but I remember being appalled at the first one I saw, so I'm not falling for it quite yet (and the new guy doesn't feel like a good Spiderman either to me). Also, like Walter said, enough with origin stories already. I'm more excited for the Avengers because I expect them to quickly get to the part where shit blows up, and that's pretty much all I want from a comic-book adaptation. I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

I'm a very old fan of Spider-man but I just cannot get excited about the new film. 'Ol Pete has always had various relationship problems and dramatic stories but the best issues of the comics always accented the humor just as much as the adventure and drama. The Peter Parker I remember was never as brooding in the comics as he appears in the films.

I know that I'm just basing my feelings about this reboot on the few trailers that are out but the look of the new film doesn't stand out at all from the horde of other super hero films we already have. And this is Spider-man. It should pop with excitement, humor, and action. Something different would have been waiting a while longer and adapting Miles Morales' character from the recent Ultimate Spider-Man comics or perhaps even an adaptation of Spider-Man 2099. That would at least have set it a part a bit more from Sam Raimi's rather dissapointing take on the character.

Having said that, I do enjoy Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone being cast as Peter and Gwen. But the Gwen Stacy story should have been done already. Her death in the books is one of the most powerful stories in super hero comics and the film adaptations have just completely poo-poo'd all over that.

If you enjoy Spider-Man I would recommend everyone check out Dan Slott's current run on the Amazing Spider-Man books as well as his previous work with the character if they haven't already. Now that is fantastic stuff.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
Didn't like Maguire as Spiderman and overall I wasn't a fan of the Raimi movies. Still, I can't say I'm looking forward to this one either. This new trailer isn't too bad, I'll admit, but I remember being appalled at the first one I saw, so I'm not falling for it quite yet (and the new guy doesn't feel like a good Spiderman either to me). Also, like Walter said, enough with origin stories already. I'm more excited for the Avengers because I expect them to quickly get to the part where shit blows up, and that's pretty much all I want from a comic-book adaptation. I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

Yeah, the Avengers movie is looking promising. With a cast like that, it's hard to not want to see it.

It'll be cool having the Skrulls as the baddies, as well as Loki.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
So I went to see the movie with no expectations since I considered it was gonna be crap. I got out satisfied I could say. As a huge fan of Spider-man comics, I liked it! But, when I went to see it I did not put my spider-man mode on. Meaning I turned my brain off. So sure if I want to be nutpicky I'd say it's a terrible movie and it sucks. But on a more entertaining point of view (my brain off mode) it was a fun movie to watch. Didn't feel long and I like Andrew Garfield as the new Peter Parker. (kinda hated McGuire in the first 3 movies).

Walter said:

It's not about getting old Walter its about being able to stay wrong when the time needs it! :slan:

Top Bottom