Episode 327

Draculoid said:
Excellent, excellent episode! This is by far my favorite episode of this section of the chapter. The conclusion to the Sea God segment is getting better and better for me and allowing me to appreciate this section as a whole much more with me receiving the mythology I was hoping for.

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.

On Page 15, I'm curious about the lower panels with the merrows - they seem to be singing and I wonder if it's the move the tentacles on the side (so they can get through to look for Guts) or to keep the Sea God from sinking somehow or to keep away the sea creatures on Page 5? Ack, that really doesn't sound right haha.

Awesome episode. Cannot wait for a translation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on page 18, are those (puncture?) wounds we see on Guts' arm a result of the Armor? If so, such a nice touch :ubik:

IncantatioN said:
On Page 15, I'm curious about the lower panels with the merrows - they seem to be singing and I wonder if it's the move the tentacles on the side (so they can get through to look for Guts) or to keep the Sea God from sinking somehow or to keep away the sea creatures on Page 5? Ack, that really doesn't sound right haha.

I'm thinking more of some sort of echolocation

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
Awesome episode. Cannot wait for a translation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on page 18, are those (puncture?) wounds we see on Guts' arm a result of the Armor? If so, such a nice touch :ubik:
Yeah, those are definitely caused by the armor. And imagine the pain of having all that salt water gush onto his open wounds. :mozgus:

Raffiki said:
I'm thinking more of some sort of echolocation
I dunno. As soon as the merrows start singing, the Sea God begins sinking.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
the Moonlight Boy (are we still referring to him by that now?).

Yes. He's not been given any other name ("Jan Anin" doesn't count).

Draculoid said:
The fact that he looks so much like Griffith is kinda freaky, I always just thought of him in relation to being Casca and Guts child but with some sort of power-relation to Griffith. Now it appears as though his physical body is Guts and Cascas child in appearance and his ethereal body is Griffith and Casca in appearance? Or just Griffith?

In "spirit form" he bears no resemblance to anyone in particular, or at least didn't until now. His hair in this case looked like Griffith's (and Griffith's only). Another obvious resemblance to Griffith (one we noticed long ago) is the fact he seems composed of pure light when seen astrally.

Draculoid said:
Overall I felt a little underwhelmed with the Sea God externally. I mean the fact he was so basic on the outside and complex on the inside made for a really nice contrast, but just deflating like that? lol I dunno.

It was a mollusc. Have you ever seen a dead cephalopod for example? Since they have no bones, they become flaccid when they die. In the Sea God's case it was so damn big that gravity would necessarily have its body collapse.

Aazealh said:
Yes. He's not been given any other name ("Jan Anin" doesn't count).

In "spirit form" he bears no resemblance to anyone in particular, or at least didn't until now. His hair in this case looked like Griffith's (and Griffith's only). Another obvious resemblance to Griffith (one we noticed long ago) is the fact he seems composed of pure light when seen astrally.

It was a mollusc. Have you ever seen a dead cephalopod for example? Since they have no bones, they become flaccid when they die. In the Sea God's case it was so damn big that gravity would necessarily have its body collapse.

I realize there have been no advances in his name, I was just trying to make it sound like a true identity could be right around the corner or maybe already within our grasps now and lead into the next part. :p

Obviously it's only Griffith from what we can tell, there are no defining features on the face yet but now we have randomly received hair! It will probably be a slow reveal but I'll throw out my crazy theory that maybe more Casca-like features may be revealed as the face comes into focus :casca: Maybe I'm just trying to draw too many parallels between the three of them and all the crazy rituals/worlds merging :???: Who knows but those were a few of my thoughts while reading.

That's actually really cool about the mollusk! I guess I wasn't drawing a close enough connection to It and one and that makes perfect sense about the collapsing. Still sticking with feeling a little underwhelmed by the design though. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Some details about the episode: Isma's mom among other things tells the group that if Guts is alive, he must be inside the Sea God's body. And because he's inside of the Sea God, he can't communicate with Schierke by telepathy. When the boy comes to his aid, Guts wonders why he shows up when he's in danger, and as he leads him by telling him "here, here, here, etc." Guts wonders if he's having fun, comparing him to a mischievous kid.

Draculoid said:
I realize there have been no advances in his name, I was just trying to make it sound like a true identity could be right around the corner or maybe already within our grasps now and lead into the next part. :p

That's not what it sounded like to me, but Ok.

Draculoid said:
Obviously it's only Griffith from what we can tell, there are no defining features on the face yet but now we have randomly received hair! It will probably be a slow reveal but I'll throw out my crazy theory that maybe more Casca-like features may be revealed as the face comes into focus :casca: Maybe I'm just trying to draw too many parallels between the three of them and all the crazy rituals/worlds merging :???: Who knows but those were a few of my thoughts while reading.

By definition it seems unlikely that the boy's astral figure will get much more detailed than it currently is, so I actually I wouldn't expect anything of the sort if I were you. And I would also be wary of amalgams in this case, because they are likely to lead to confusion. The boy is Guts and Casca's child, that much seems clear. His body was "taken over" by Femto during the Incarnation ceremony, and so they have become intrinsically related. To what extent we don't know, but it could go from as little as having acquired characteristics from each other to as much as having become one single being (with a myriad of variations in between). So there's no reason for the boy's astral form to have any of Casca's (or Guts') features if he already sports some of Griffith's.

Aazealh said:
By definition it seems unlikely that the boy's astral figure will get much more detailed than it currently is, so I actually I wouldn't expect anything of the sort if I were you. And I would also be wary of amalgams in this case, because they are likely to lead to confusion. The boy is Guts and Casca's child, that much seems clear. His body was "taken over" by Femto during the Incarnation ceremony, and so they have become intrinsically related. To what extent we don't know, but it could go from as little as having acquired characteristics from each other to as much as having become one single being (with a myriad of variations in between). So there's no reason for the boy's astral form to have any of Casca's (or Guts') features if he already sports some of Griffith's.

What do you mean "By definition it seems unlikely that the boy's astral figure will get much more detailed than it currently is"? Has it not already become much more detailed than when previously shown and aren't astral bodies usually fully detailed like Schierke? I'm just not really sure what you mean by this...
(Edit: I tried checking the Encylopedia for a definition but I couldn't find an entry for Astral...anything.)

I agree though that some of the ideas I'm presenting aren't really based on much but they are just speculation, I'm really not "expecting" any of this. I don't "expect" anything from Berserk other than a great story and I haven't been let down yet. :guts:

In page 12 and 13 something is shady to me, help me out guys :

-After hitting the membrane, Guts is sinking into pounds and pounds of blood.
-He himself is pratically pissing out blood out of every pore.

So at the end of page 11 we see him slowly closing his eyes, is he losing consciousness ?

In page 12, the MB appears, catching Guts attention :

2 options : - Guts is unconscious. That would be the first time he's seeing the MB without being under the control of the armor, right ? Anyway, how could an unconscious Guts managed to find his way out ? Some hints make us think otherwise, like his "floating state" (he is definitely in a liquid. Look at his hair at the bottom of page 13, look at the way his blood is spilling)

- Guts is conscious. This is the first time that the MB interacts with the physical realm (I mean, everybody from Schierke to the last sailor would see him. And if it was a consequence of the Merging, he would have appeared in front of everybody the previous time, back on the Island). He's acting as a lamplight, helping Guts swimming through the darkness of the Seagod's blood (+ Guts "blindness") Still, how can an astral projection be visible ?

Which one is it ?

Raffiki said:
In page 12 and 13 something is shady to me, help me out guys :

-After hitting the membrane, Guts is sinking into pounds and pounds of blood.
-He himself is piratically pissing out blood out of every pore.

So at the end of page 11 we see him slowly closing his eyes, is he losing consciousness ?

2 options : - Guts is unconscious. That would be the first time he's seeing the MB without being under the control of the armor, right ? Anyway, how could an unconscious Guts managed to find his way out ? Some hints make us think otherwise, like his "floating state" (he is definitely in a liquid. Look at his hair at the bottom of page 13, look at the way his blood is spilling)

- Guts is conscious. This is the first time that the MB interacts with the physical realm (I mean, everybody from Schierke to the last sailor would see him. And if it was a consequence of the Merging, he would have appeared in front of everybody the previous time, back on the Island). He's acting as a lamplight, helping Guts swimming through the darkness of the Seagod's blood (+ Guts "blindness") Still, how can an astral projection be visible ?

Which one is it ?

Well, his eyes close and then open the moment he sees the MB. During his exchange with MB it is hard to tell whether or not it is taking place inside of his subconscious from how alert and awake he suddenly looks in comparison to almost passing out, but who knows. During his travels through the Sea God following the MB it is again drawn in a way that looks like it could be taking place in his head. I take this as him being extremely "semiconscious" stumbling/floating through following the MB. I doubt he could be fully unconscious because he clearly is conscious and works up the strength to slash through the Sea God on page 18 where he then passes out and is saved.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Pretty blatant, now...

kbLqH.jpg

Decent episode - some sad scenes with Guts in the mix. Hoping he'll bounce back once he gets to meet the fairies. Not encouraged by the "To be continued..." - the date, though. Hoping we see more Berserk in a couple of weeks.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Great episode, but poor Guts. :sad:

I'm hoping we get to spend a little more time with the Moonlight Boy after Guts gets back to the ship. Part of me hopes we get to see him travel with the crew to Elfhelm, but somehow I doubt it.

Raffiki said:

Maybe, but given his dialogue prior to that, it seems like he's feeling just incredulous at the situation. "Am I really going to die in a place like this?"

Which one is it ?

MB doesn't necessarily have to follow the same rules we have seen thus far. We know nearly nothing about him other than what has been implied.
I believe Guts is mainly conscious. When MB says "Here." Guts has realized he has managed to cut through and seawater is coming through ("I'm outside!"). But the effort clearly took its toll and the Mermaids picked him up from there.

This was an awesome episode, but the dialogue Guts has with himself is indeed pretty distressing. "Such is the fate of whoever wears the berserker armor so they say..."

This was a tough episode to read. I truly feel bad for Guts. Even though he's been in a lot of dangerous situations it's tough to see him think that this may finally be the end of it. Or rather see him come so close to the end. Man, now I'm kind of depressed. :sad:

I have to give Roderick, Serpico, and Isidro credit though for going into the mouth of the Sea God to find Guts. Even though it's dead, that takes some major balls.

I love the scene of the boat on the second to last page when the Mermaids are holding up Guts with the ship in the background. Roderick looks as heroic as ever as he stands shirtless telling his crew to go over there and get Guts (I imagine). And is Serpico trying to keep Isidro in the boat because he's trying to jump overboard to swim to Guts? :ganishka: I love Guts and his crew. Miura really does an amazing job with their chemistry and how they act with one another.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
LOicos said:
And no episode in next young animal. So again berserk absent.
Ah, well sorry for misleading people earlier into thinking it was in the next issue. The last episode didn't have a date either, yet it was continued in the next issue. So I guess I assumed the best instead of the worst :farnese:

Draculoid said:
What do you mean "By definition it seems unlikely that the boy's astral figure will get much more detailed than it currently is"? ... Has it not already become much more detailed than when previously shown
Why should it become any more detailed at all? I really think you're harping on this hair too much. That could be a number of things. For example: The effect of the water on the astral body. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the kid is developing new features or anything.

After all, the last time we saw it was ... earlier this night (in the Berserk world). Do you really think the child "developed" new features over that time? It decided to develop a new hair style, just cuz?

Cronus said:
MB doesn't necessarily have to follow the same rules we have seen thus far.
No one actually calls the child the "MB" that's just Draculoid trying to turn a phrase. Please don't encourage him!

This was an awesome chapter...
*ahem* Episode.*ahem* :void:

The Good Reverend Wyrd said:
...is Serpico trying to keep Isidro in the boat because he's trying to jump overboard to swim to Guts? :ganishka: I love Guts and his crew. Miura really does an amazing job with their chemistry and how they act with one another.
Indeed. One thing I was thinking about during that scene, imagine what was going through Isidro's head when they had to get back on that boat, leaving the Sea God without Guts. He must have thought he was a goner :isidro: :sad:

Sorry Walter about the "MB" thing...was only saying that in response to Raffiki who was using it :/ I wasn't using it before when talking to Aaz, must have just slipped up...never again!

Sorry I am harping on the hair thing as far as thinking it "developed" , I just went back and read episode 316 and 317 and is definitely more obvious now that could very easilly have been and was his hair at that time as well. I just remembered off the top of my head it looking so not Griffith like but it was definitely his choice of angle . Actually after rereading 316/317 I'm more than willing to retract my Casca/Griffith wild sepculation for the time being, ahehe :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Draculoid said:
Sorry Walter about the "MB" thing...was only saying that in response to Raffiki who was using it :/ I wasn't using it before when talking to Aaz, must have just slipped up...never again!
Ah, sorry I didn't see Raffiki's post. Sorry for scolding you, then. I just don't think we should start using confusing acronyms for characters whose names we don't even know yet.

I just remembered off the top of my head it looking so not Griffith like but it was definitely his choice of angle . Actually after rereading 316/317 I'm more than willing to retract my Casca/Griffith wild sepculation for the time being, ahehe :serpico:
I agree that the hair resembles Griffith's. And it hasn't until this point. My point is that I don't think that's an effect of the kid changing his hairstyle like you were implying, but an effect of the water giving the hair a different, perhaps more "natural" look.

It's also possible that we're reading way too much into this kid's hair :griffnotevil: I remember being so excited after the Young Animal with Episode 175 (Griffith's new body) shipped that I posted that he had features similar to Guts and Casca, possibly as a result of taking the form of their child. Of course, that was utter folly, but I was convinced of it at the time.

Walter said:
I agree that the hair resembles Griffith's. And it hasn't until this point. My point is that I don't think that's an effect of the kid changing his hairstyle like you were implying, but an effect of the water giving the hair a different, perhaps more "natural" look.

It's also possible that we're reading way too much into this kid's hair :griffnotevil:

Thinking back, have we ever seen a scenario where a phenomenon in the physical world has affected someone in the astral world? Looking back at volume 33, for example, when Schierke and Farny are in astral form, I don't see their hair really "blowing" in the wind. Is this possibly a result of the worlds merging? Or am I way off base here?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
What a great episode. It really is a shame we won't get a new one next YA issue. Though I think we might be wrapped up with Guts & Friends for the moment, anyway. I hope we get to see the folks at Falconia within the next few episodes.

Seeing the Sea God deflated like that really is satisfying. In the end, he really was a creepy thing. RIP Captain Shark Rider.

I really can't wait to see what's being said, all over. I think Isma's mom probably provides some cool insight.

Guts alone in the dark was really intense. I'm not liking how his eye is drawn... As in... Gee I hope he's not fucking blind from now on.

The Moonlight Boy's expressions at the end worry me a little bit. It's no longer that innocent look. It's like he looked when he left them the first time, and he was standing on the cliff. A look of extreme worry, maybe? "That armor is bad news." I wonder about the Griffith connection a lot. And my main question is, Can Griffith see what the boy sees? Though that's an entirely different discussion.

The art was great in this one. I especially loved the effects of Guts bleeding under water. As sad as that was to see him like that.

I got choked up a little when I first saw the shot of everyone seeing Guts safe, being carried back to the boat by the merrows.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
Is this possibly a result of the worlds merging? Or am I way off base here?
We aren't going to know the extent of the changes of the merging of worlds until a character tells us about them specifically. But I don't personally think that such a nuanced detail like that would be something the worlds merging would effect.

Gobolatula said:
RIP Captain Shark Rider.
Captain Shark Rider was the name of Boss' ship. And he's been dead for a while though, and it wasn't in peace :badbone:

I really can't wait to see what's being said, all over. I think Isma's mom probably provides some cool insight.
Aaz gave some detail about what's being said here:

Aazealh said:
Isma's mom among other things tells the group that if Guts is alive, he must be inside the Sea God's body. And because he's inside of the Sea God, he can't communicate with Schierke by telepathy. When the boy comes to his aid, Guts wonders why he shows up when he's in danger, and as he leads him by telling him "here, here, here, etc." Guts wonders if he's having fun, comparing him to a mischievous kid.

Gobolatula said:
Guts alone in the dark was really intense. I'm not liking how his eye is drawn... As in... Gee I hope he's not fucking blind from now on.
Upon reflection, I really don't think he is. I think it was just really dark down there. He's able to look at the sea god's inner walls and poke his sword in the right (wrong) direction in this episode,and he seems to be able to see around okay.

The Moonlight Boy's expressions at the end worry me a little bit. It's no longer that innocent look. It's like he looked when he left them the first time, and he was standing on the cliff. A look of extreme worry, maybe? "That armor is bad news." I wonder about the Griffith connection a lot.
I think he just has a faraway look. It doesn't come across as ominous to me. But yeah, who knows. Kid reveals nothing.

And my main question is, Can Griffith see what the boy sees? Though that's an entirely different discussion.
I'd like to think so, personally. But we have utterly no idea.

Chaos said:
Thinking back, have we ever seen a scenario where a phenomenon in the physical world has affected someone in the astral world? Looking back at volume 33, for example, when Schierke and Farny are in astral form, I don't see their hair really "blowing" in the wind. Is this possibly a result of the worlds merging? Or am I way off base here?

If it was a consequence of the Merging, we would have seen it the previous time, back on the Island.

Watching again page 19, I can't help it but seeing it as a biblical painting. A Saint lifted by angels. Beautiful. I'll color this when I'll have a better quality picture.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
I got choked up a little when I first saw the shot of everyone seeing Guts safe, being carried back to the boat by the merrows.

Same here. I think Schierke's look of joy is what hit me the hardest (Farnese's expression didn't help, either).

Raffiki said:
Watching again page 19, I can't help it but seeing it as a biblical painting. A Saint lifted by angels. Beautiful. I'll color this when I'll have a better quality picture.

That page left me with the same impression. It's absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Miura used such paintings as inspiration or intentionally made it appear that way. Especially considering the fact it appears they're carrying him out of the darkness of the blood and water into the light.

If we get to see Guts back on the ship, I'd love to see him acknowledge the slight resemblance to Griffith. I don't care if he talks to the boy or his friends about it or just thinks about it. I just want to see him acknowledge it. And see how he reacts to it.

Top Bottom