Episode 327

Anyway thanks for the link and a very nice episode indeed... :slan:

Walter said:
Yeah, those are definitely caused by the armor. And imagine the pain of having all that salt water gush onto his open wounds. :mozgus:

I thought the armor has some kind of pain-killing effect?

Anyway I read through the previous few episodes and didn't quite why there is a need for the armor to pierce into his body? I know Guts was injured by the pulse of the heartbeat, but didn't that spike inducing effect comes into play only when you have broken bones or something? Did Guts suffered severe fractures by the sound waves?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Anyway I read through the previous few episodes and didn't quite why there is a need for the armor to pierce into his body? I know Guts was injured by the pulse of the heartbeat, but didn't that spike inducing effect comes into play only when you have broken bones or something? Did Guts suffered severe fractures by the sound waves?
He couldn't feel his limbs, and he couldn't even lift himself. He used the pain to push himself up and be able to strike at the heart. It'll make more sense when the translation is out.

PS: Welcome back, Smith :void:

Walter said:
He couldn't feel his limbs, and he couldn't even lift himself. He used the pain to push himself up and be able to strike at the heart. It'll make more sense when the translation is out.

PS: Welcome back, Smith :void:

Haha thanks :guts:

Using pain to push himself up was something that surprise me really, because I always thought the armour kills pain, not induce pain.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Haha thanks :guts:

Using pain to push himself up was something that surprise me really, because I always thought the armour kills pain, not induce pain.
It dulls it, yeah. But Guts specifically tells the Beast/armor to "Give me pain."

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
We didn't really get to see whether Guts lost his sense of hearing either in this episode. All the Moonlight Boys dialogue was inside of Guts' head right?

Will there really be no Berserk in the next issue of YA? does it say "Until next time!" at the end of the episode? it felt like such a short run. I was hoping for at least 3 episodes after that long break. :sad:

I have another burning question though, does the ghost ship die with the Sea god?

Also is it me or the Sea horse is still basked under the protective beam from the four kings?

Smith said:
I have another burning question though, does the ghost ship die with the Sea god?

Also is it me or the Sea horse is still basked under the protective beam from the four kings?

The Ghost Ship and its crew were simply extensions of the Sea God all connected to the main body. With the main body dead I think it is safe to assume they do as well, I believe they were a collective consciousness though the tentacles showed signs of their former selves and held some control (though their will was always directed towards the will and goals of the Sea God).

and you absolutely right, the protective barrier is definitely still there.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I wish the Moonlight Boy had more dialogue. At first I thought all the speech bubbles on the "Moonlight Boy pointing" page were all him, but I'm pretty sure the ones that don't say "This way" and "here" are Guts. Is that the page where Guts is thinking about death? I wish my Japanese was better.

I wonder if the thought crossed Guts' mind that if he dies, he gets sucked up by the vortex of souls.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I wish the Moonlight Boy had more dialogue. At first I thought all the speech bubbles on the "Moonlight Boy pointing" page were all him, but I'm pretty sure the ones that don't say "This way" and "here" are Guts. Is that the page where Guts is thinking about death? I wish my Japanese was better.
The kid is saying "Here ... here" (こっち) and Guts is wondering why the kid always appears when he's in danger. He also says he wonders if the kid's enjoying himself. ... or something.

The contemplating death thing is earlier, after he thinks he's drowning. It's that big speech bubble when there's nothing else in the panel.

Gobolatula said:
I wonder if the thought crossed Guts' mind that if he dies, he gets sucked up by the vortex of souls.

Isn't that those who are using the beherit that are ending sucked up by the vortex of souls ?

even if I remember Guts being grabbed at the end of volume 3

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
He also says he wonders if the kid's enjoying himself. ... or something.

Because it looks to him like the boy is playing, telling him "here, here, here, etc.".

Raffiki said:
Isn't that those who are using the beherit that are ending sucked up by the vortex of souls ?

even if I remember Guts being grabbed at the end of volume 3

No, it's not just those who use a beherit, as evidenced by your own example: Guts hadn't used the beherit in volume 3. If you'll remember, branded people are doomed to end up in the Vortex of Souls as well. And generally speaking, a lot of people seem to be ending up there depending on how they lived their lives.

Regarding Aaz' old theory, I had the same thoughts as Rhombaad :

Rhombaad said:
perhaps Griffith is overcome by the Moonlight Child whenever the moon is full, transforming into what Casca and Guts' child might have been like if he was left untainted by Femto. He could possibly have wandered off, instinctively drawn to his parents (afterall, Griffith is camped near Vritannis, so he'd be in the area), with Zodd simply keeping an eye on him and making sure he doesn't wander too far or get into any trouble (although he probably wouldn't be in mortal danger, being a Superior Being and all).

Aazealh said:
Whoa, new age werewolf. :beast: It's indeed quite plausible, great supposition. The ocean is a bit restrictive, but the full moon element would work perfectly.

In other words, Miura's own twist on lycanthropy :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Any theories on why the moon?
As has been reiterated for readers about 3 different times in the series since vol 28, the full moon enhances magical effects. It's also a time when the mind becomes easily unhinged.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Ryouma said:
Regarding Aaz' old theory, I had the same thoughts as Rhombaad :

Me, too! Wait... :troll:

Ryouma said:
In other words, Miura's own twist on lycanthropy :SK:

I'm sticking by that theory. While he certainly isn't a werewolf, I think the moon is exactly what's causing Griffith to "become" the Moonlight Boy. I'm really eager to learn more, and I'm sure everyone else is, too. :guts:

Now what did Guts say in Episode 15 about swimming in armor? :guts:

I was a bit curious about what an apostle-like creature such as the Sea God would do when it died. Would its soul (assuming it had one) get sucked up into the Vortex of Souls or would it simply die? Looks like the latter. And need there be more than the latter pages of this episode to solidify Roderick as not only a dashing rogue, but a handsome one to boot :isidro:

Yes, the Moonlight Child's seeming telepathic guidance of Guts here adds much to his mystery. Whether he has a spiritual or any other such bond with Griffith beyond being the result of Femto's taint at birth isn't much clearer here

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Roderick said:
I was a bit curious about what an apostle-like creature such as the Sea God would do when it died. Would its soul (assuming it had one) get sucked up into the Vortex of Souls or would it simply die? Looks like the latter.
There's nothing that indicates the Sea God had any tie to the God Hand or apostles. It was just an evil sea creature amalgamation. It's likely a creature of the astral world, just like all the other creatures we see appear after the merging of worlds.

The only creepy part is that the heart had seemingly human eyes.

Rhombaad said:
While he certainly isn't a werewolf, I think the moon is exactly what's causing Griffith to "become" the Moonlight Boy. I'm really eager to learn more, and I'm sure everyone else is, too. :guts:
Yeah, I totally agree with that. And with Miura, it cannot be so simple and cliche. I was only joking about the overall idea. :serpico:

Being on a ship, in the middle of the sea and surrounded by the crew and our heroes, how is the Moonlight Boy going to disappear this time?

I'm so glad Roderick shines under the spotlight! And it wasn't just to impress lady Farnese! :farnese:
I've been a big fan of the guy ever since his first appearance. At first it was for his excellent and distinctive character design. Then he slowly became one of my favorite characters.
I wish he could join the ''band'' but it's unlikely. Where's my Rody emoticon? :isidro:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Ryouma said:
Being on a ship, in the middle of the sea and surrounded by the crew and our heroes, how is the Moonlight Boy going to disappear this time?

Maybe Zodd will fly by and pick him up? :zodd:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I really love this panel because you can really get a feel for the setting. The calm after the storm. The sky is dark and cloudy, all of them just waiting in the water with the deflated Sea God behind them.

And I like how Miura made this one a little crooked to give that disorienting unbalance that Schierke feels. Actually getting dizzy looking at it.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Ryouma said:
Where's my Rody emoticon? :isidro:
I can imagine a Roderick emoticon with a twinkly smile.

nicegai.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
While he certainly isn't a werewolf, I think the moon is exactly what's causing Griffith to "become" the Moonlight Boy.
Yeah, I think we're all in agreement there. Here's a comic I made depicting just how awkward that must be for Griffith.

Oburi said:
I really love this panel because you can really get a feel for the setting. The calm after the storm. The sky is dark and cloudy, all of them just waiting in the water with the deflated Sea God behind them. And I like how Miura made this one a little crooked to give that disorienting unbalance that Schierke feels. Actually getting dizzy looking at it.
Yeah, he's playing with perspective a lot in this episode, but i don't necessarily think it's something new. It's all part of the storytelling. I think it would be interesting to go back and look at how he's handled perspective across the years recently though.

Ryouma said:
Where's my Rody emoticon? :isidro:
Roderick is one of a few that I've long been considering. In one I envisioned, he'd be swinging a telescope side to side, searching. Ex: "When's the next episode coming?" :rod:

The problem is that I think we've nailed the basics of emoticon functions. Each time I come up with an idea to add a new character, I realize that adding more would be superfluous. The Femto/Azan/Puck ones, for example, all basically convey the same emotion. Though it could be argued that they have their own slightly different contexts.

If you want to talk more about these, we can move it into the official thread. Just be sure to quote me. I don't want to detract too much from 327.

Top Bottom