Griffith as Napoleon

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In my European Biography class, we've been looking at Napoleon for a bit. I'd only had very little exposure to him before college and so the controversy surrounding his crowning ceremony is totally new to me.

For those who don't know, Napoleon rose to power through military strength/achievements. When he had placed himself in the position to recieve the title of dictator for life, Emporer, the Pope was to attend his crowning ceremony and directly grant him power from God. Just before the Pope place the crown on Napoleon's head, Napoleon snatched the crown away from the Pope and placed the crown on his own head.

The professor asked the class "Why would he do such a thing?" After dead silence for a few seconds, I answered (knowing my Berserk very well), "To ensure that he was recieving his power through his own actions, not being given it from someone else."

Now, even before this awesome realization about the connection between these two figures, I knew that Miura had created Griffith from a wide variety of world-conquerors, or at least was inspired to create him in their image. But this particular picture sticks out to me...

napoleon.jpg
griff-pose.jpg

argon

I love Gatts Fury
Yeah, great comparison with this great Emporer who make me proud of beeing French :-*

Napoleon was indeed a great Emporer who used advanced tactics to beat opponents (you must have heard of Austerlitz battle) just like Griffith did with the Hawks.
But the great difference is that Napoleon didn't know when to stop and so he lose almost all in Russia, whereas Griffith had the Beherit so as to continue is conquest/dream.

And you can thank the heaven not to give a Beherit to Napoleon, or all of you would have spoke French today ;D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
argon said:
Yeah, great comparison with this great Emporer who make me proud of beeing French :-*

Napoleon was indeed a great Emporer who used advanced tactics to beat opponents (you must have heard of Austerlitz battle) just like Griffith did with the Hawks.
But the great difference is that Napoleon didn't know when to stop and so he lose almost all in Russia, whereas Griffith had the Beherit so as to continue is conquest/dream.
Well Griffith's career is likened to Napoleon's career. Griff also had his downfall by trying to sieze Charlotte too early. The most obvious difference between these two is that Griffith had a deus ex machina with the Beherit. Napoleon's story unfortunately ... isn't fiction.
And you can thank the heaven not to give a Beherit to Napoleon, or all of you would have spoke French today ;D
Actually Im pretty enthusiastic about Napoleon, despite his distinct weaknesses/shortcomings. I think the world would be a much more interesting place if the Napoleonic empire had lasted longer. I also think that if Napoleon finally was able to rule the whole of Europe, including Britain, the empire would have lasted long after his death. The empire would have been able to dig its roots in deeper... But, its all heresay and I now wait for the next emporer.

Destiny.jpg

(Widescreen!)​

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
argon said:

Are you serious ? Despite of his social & economic accomplishments (such as the civil law or national bank) and his great tactical abilities, he still was a bloody megalomaniac dictator, I'd rather not feel proud of what he did.

argon

I love Gatts Fury
Aazealh said:
argon said:

Are you serious ? Despite of his social & economic accomplishments (such as the civil law or national bank) and his great tactical abilities, he still was a bloody megalomaniac dictator, I'd rather not feel proud of what he did.
yes, I am
I may have been a megalomaniac, but I'd rather prefer be proud of Napoleon and his tactical abilities than Marechal Pétain and what he did with Régime de Vichy.....

But i do agree that not everyone can like him :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I may have been a megalomaniac, but I'd rather prefer be proud of Napoleon and his tactical abilities than Marechal Pétain and what he did with Régime de Vichy.....

But i do agree that not everyone can like him :)

Well, there's not only generals which you can be proud of you know.
Anyway, the parallelism with Griffith is very interesting, and there's no doubt the world would not be what it is now if Napoleon had achieved Europe's conquest.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Walter said:
argon said:

Well Griffith's career is likened to Napoleon's career. Griff also had his downfall by trying to sieze Charlotte too early. The most obvious difference between these two is that Griffith had a deus ex machina with the Beherit. Napoleon's story unfortunately ... isn't fiction.
Actually Im pretty enthusiastic about Napoleon, despite his distinct weaknesses/shortcomings. I think the world would be a much more interesting place if the Napoleonic empire had lasted longer. I also think that if Napoleon finally was able to rule the whole of Europe, including Britain, the empire would have lasted long after his death. The empire would have been able to dig its roots in deeper... But, its all heresay and I now wait for the next emporer.

Destiny.jpg

(Widescreen!)​
Napoléon is indeed fascinating and I fully share your views regarding how the world would have been like,had his empire lasted longer.I close
my eyes and I see America reborn...Rabbit within hamburgers? Snails
instead of fries?Fried frogs instead of fried chickens?One day perhaps...

theblakeman

theblakeman- your local pervert
Dictatorships kick ass, if I was a dictator I'd make women do the most deplorable sexual acts for my enjoyment... ;D

DON'T YOU HATE ME?

Griffith is hotter than Napoleon though.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
theblakeman said:
Dictatorships kick ass, if I was a dictator I'd make women do the most deplorable sexual acts for my enjoyment... ;D

DON'T YOU HATE ME?

Griffith is hotter than Napoleon though.

...I guess I would too...

Top Bottom