Author Topic: Berserk + Personal Artwork  (Read 9246 times)

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
Berserk + Personal Artwork
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
Greetings! I haven't posted that much, and what I am about to post won't amount to much either, but it is still a submission none the less!
Artwork is my passion, and naturally as soon as I read the manga I was heavily inspired to make a scratchboard of Guts.
Scratchboard lends itself wonderfully to Muria's style, and so the result was better than I anticipated. I made this as a gift for my boyfriend (the one who got me into Berserk in the first place)
I can't seem to post the image directly in this post, so here's a link to it at my deviantART page: http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/art/Berserk-206751118
It's not that much, but it's better than nothing!
I hope to make a painting of Guts sometime this week, so I hope to update you with my artwork as it continues.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:15:54 PM by Jackolyn »

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
Re: Berserk Artwork
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »
Looks good! Looking forward to the painting!

Offline mazinken

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »
That is a really good piece of artwork. Just curious how long did it took you to finish it.

Offline kaimera

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
Superb! Really like it. Next time could you show a bit of WIP stuff? I'm interested in it! Keep that good stuff coming  :casca:

Offline Nomad

• Of the Vortex
  • "Bring the light of day"
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
That's pretty sharp!  More please :badbone:

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments! I'm glad that you like it! As I said, it's really not all that much, and I hope to continue making more Berserk fan-art soon.
I'm going to get my painting started within the next few days here, but I'm having one hell of a time trying to pin down just ONE image of Guts that I want to paint. There are so many pictures of him that I love, it's difficult to select just one picture to paint first.
However, once I start it, I will be sure (if I remember) to update you with a WIP. I do have a few WIP's over at my deviantART page, (specifically this one with an airbrush t-shirt that I made:  http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/gallery/10861743#/d3b55vf ) so you can check them out if you're interested in my process -- and to hold you over for a few days till I get started.
Thanks again for commenting! I can't wait to start it!

Offline Grail

• Spanish Inquisitor
  • Of the Vortex
  • RIP Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:42:09 PM »
Great work, Jackolyn! Your boyfriend is a lucky guy, that scratchboard illustration will make a great gift. After taking a look at the rest of your gallery, I'm especially excited to see your Guts painting, as well. :guts:

Offline StarKodama

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:32 AM »
Very cool.  :slan:

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:47 AM »
Well surprisingly I found the time to paint it today! Who knows, I might get two done this week, we shall see!
Here it is: http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/art/Guts-286306643
I hope I didn't disappoint!
Also, if there's a specific image of Guts that you would like to see painted (preferably colour/one that isn't a black and white illustration) please do share it with me! I'm having one hell of a time narrowing down my favourite images of him, so I'd like to see which ones you guys like as well, that might help me out a bit.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
Here it is: http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/art/Guts-286306643
I hope I didn't disappoint!

The artwork is superior to the original as far as I'm concerned, however you're misspelling the character's name, and that seriously disappoints me. :miura:

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
I said in a comment below that I refered to him as G a t s u simply because that's how my boyfriend always pronounces it, and it's stuck with me since. However, if it truly bothers people THAT much I will be more than happy to change it to Guts.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »
It's just incorrect, which is too bad since it's the main character's name. Regardless, I like what you did with the artwork, although if I had to give you a critique it would be that the angle on his wrist is unrealistic.

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
I changed the name, just for continuity's sake, but I'll still pronounce it G a t s u...that's just how I'm used to it.
And I merely painted it how I saw it: http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/Jackolyn_Sparrow/hgj.jpg

Offline Draculoid

• Chapter ≠ Episode
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
Wow that looks great Jackolyn ! I agree with Aaz in enjoying it more than the original, the white eye definitely fits Guts and he's certainly looks like he's in one of his rage filled moments.  :guts:
Where did I go wrong? Iíve got a sneaking suspicion it ainít over. A kindred connivance, Iím ripped and in ruins

Offline Stardustgatzu

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »
WOW, your work is truly amazing! I really love it!

Congrats
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain<br />And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today<br />And then one day you find ten years have got behind you<br />No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
Long time no see! I'm still hanging around keeping up to date with all of the Berserk news.
I recently finished an airbrushed T-Shirt of Guts for my boyfriend, you can see it here:  http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/art/Guts-T-Shirt-298051717
It's a bit of a bad picture as it was thrown over the back of my chair, and I never got a better photo of it after I sent it off. But you get the idea.

Let me know what you think!

Offline Gill

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »
I really like it, looks badass! Faved it on dA :ubik:

Offline Andreecals Wave

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »
Long time no see! I'm still hanging around keeping up to date with all of the Berserk news.
I recently finished an airbrushed T-Shirt of Guts for my boyfriend, you can see it here:  http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/art/Guts-T-Shirt-298051717
It's a bit of a bad picture as it was thrown over the back of my chair, and I never got a better photo of it after I sent it off. But you get the idea.

Let me know what you think!

I liked the pic, but doesn't it remind you of some Dracula-like Guts?
Count Guts... When I think of it it sounds hylarious xD
"That is what becomes of people who live unchanging lives. They grow old, but they do not grow."

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
I'm still alive!
And I have more Berserk artwork to show you!

Both are scratch boards (like the first piece of Artwork I posted on here)
http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/art/Berserk-Scratchboard-347818001?q=gallery%3AJackolyn%2F3404687&qo=4
http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/art/Berserk-Scratchboard-356797926?q=gallery%3AJackolyn%2F3404687&qo=0

Let me know what you think! :guts:

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 02:05:49 AM »
Stuff like this makes me want to return those brushes I recently got. Simply amazing. Could you tell us a bit about how you start drawing it, taking us through the end product?
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00:04 PM »
I would love to!

Scratch board is honestly a very simple process.
The sheet itself is coated with black ink, which is then removed using a scratching tool. They come in many different variates, some removing large areas, and others that are no thicker than a needle.

I usually start with a primary drawing (such as artwork from Berserk, or another reference) and I draw an outline of it on the sheet of scratch board.
I do this by taking a sheet of paper placing it on top of the scratch board, and begin drawing on it with a ballpoint pen so that the sheet has the indent of the image.

Then I begin! Scratch boards usually take me no longer than 3-4 hours, but it depends on the complexity of the image.
I find it very relaxing, and a great way to spend my time if I don't want to pull out my paints.

Speaking of paints, however, I will have a new Berserk painting coming up soon, so keep a sharp eye out for that!

I hope this answers your question! If you have anymore, please let me know!

Offline Jackolyn

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »
Here's a new Berserk painting that I finished up last week!

(And yes, I did just figure out how to add images onto here.  :guts:
You can view it at my deviantART page here: http://jackolyn.deviantart.com/art/Berserk-Painting-358658651

This is acrylic on 12"x16" canvas.

Offline Skeleton

• Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 10:48:19 PM »
That painting looks fantastic, Jackolyn.  :guts:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ