What's with the beards?

It bothered me for a while, so I thought we should discuss it :ganishka:
This made me wonder... Guts never grew a beard. He was in choma for days several times, and not even one single hair grew on his face... :troll: But this is completely off-topic...
Quote from Walter:
A better question is why Griffith never grew a beard when he was locked in the dungeon and had his helmet on for over a year.

There are several animes/mangas where people don't grow their beard or hair, simply because... well... those are just cartoons. But it seems wierd in a realistic manga like Berserk... There are several characters in it who have facial hair (Ganishka, Raban, etc.). Also, it seems that characters grow their hair (like Caska obviously).
So what's with the beard?

Lukis said:
Guts with beard and long hair(mindbreak) ,though about guts with beard in future,i think it wouldnt be nice view when guts like jumps and attacks monster mid air and beard gets blown by wind in its face or something...
Nice idea :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny to consider, I suppose. But I don't really think you're going to get a satisfactory answer, because I don't think Miura really cared about these details. It's the same with Guts' nipples. Where are they? And why?! :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
They don't have chest or armpit hair either. Or hair on their arms or legs. It's a manga set in a fictional world; it's not meant to be anatomically realistic in every regard.

Walter said:
It's the same with Guts' nipples. Where are they? And why?! :ganishka:

Guts or any other guy. Men just don't have nipples in the Berserk world.

Nipples are different. There aren't any men in Berserk with nipples... But some men having beard but some not having at all is just so weird :ganishka:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Well I guess it could be like in real life. There are some people who happen to just..never have a beard. And for the Griffith with no beard for a year in prison... Maybe it's because his skin was took off his face? Who knows...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Well I guess it could be like in real life. There are some people who happen to just..never have a beard. And for the Griffith with no beard for a year in prison... Maybe it's because his skin was took off his face? Who knows...
I think the most likely explanation for both cases (Griffith and Guts) is that he wanted his character designs to stay consistent. And like Aaz said, it's a fantasy world, so real-world consequences (not shaving for days) shouldn't necessarily have any bearing.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I think it would be a nice little scene seeing Guts shave like Miyamoto Musashi did. :guts:

Truder

voodoo_sh said:
Wow I never noticed that nipples are absent! You guys ruined my mind :troll:
Haha, I know right! Now every time I see guts shirtless I'm going to stare at his nipple-less chest :(

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I think the most likely explanation for both cases (Griffith and Guts) is that he wanted his character designs to stay consistent. And like Aaz said, it's a fantasy world, so real-world consequences (not shaving for days) shouldn't necessarily have any bearing.

Too true my friend. But hey we saw at least Gambino shave. :slan:

But anyway I prefer to see the group eat and chill around once in a while (ah these sweet and calm moments) then to see them shave or going to pee...

Truder

jackson_hurley said:
Too true my friend. But hey we saw at least Gambino shave. :slan:

But anyway I prefer to see the group eat and chill around once in a while (ah these sweet and calm moments) then to see them shave or going to pee...
Yes, I loved it when Guts, Judo, and Carcus were chilling at the bar in volume 8.

Walter said:
And like Aaz said, it's a fantasy world, so real-world consequences (not shaving for days) shouldn't necessarily have any bearing.
That's true, but something like this happening in a fantasy word where kids grow up, women have periods, people's hair grow and gets white as they age... I just can't get over this beard problem :troll:
jackson_hurley said:
As I know, beard and body hair has something to do with the amount of testosterone... I can imagine Griffith not growing facial and body hair, because he's the lovely angel boy :griffnotevil: But Guts? Muscles like that need testosterone... a lot :ganishka:
And about Griffith in the prison... If the torturer could peel off his skin every day, he probably had time to shave him sometimes if it was needed (well, probably it wasn't after there was no skin :magni:)

Anyway, I have 2 (extremely stupid) theories:
1. Men in the Berserk world can grow facial hair voluntarily. If they don't want it or don't care about it, then it simply won't grow.
(Owen: Hey, wanna come hunting today? It will be fun!
Raban: No, sorry, dude, I can't, I have to grow my beard this afternoon.) :troll:
2. Beard is a special (probably magical) object that's very expensive. This would make sense: The King and Raban had enough money to buy one, Daiba made it himself, Ganishka got it from Daiba, Godot got it as a payment from some mysterious guy for a special sword he made, Gennon could also buy one etc. The bigger the size is, the more expensive the beard is, that's why that annoying Kushan officer for whom Silat reported after the Incarnation only had a moustache :troll:

Walter said:
It's funny to consider, I suppose. But I don't really think you're going to get a satisfactory answer, because I don't think Miura really cared about these details. It's the same with Guts' nipples. Where are they? And why?! :ganishka:
Lol!!! :guts: 4 life!!

Top Bottom