PS3 successor "Orbis"

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
http://m.kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details/ said:
While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor.

For one, the console's name—or at least its codename/working title—is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

The details in this story come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before. What they're telling us in specifics matches much of what we've heard and reported in generalities in recent weeks.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment about these details, citing the company's policy not to comment on "rumors or speculation."

WHAT'S IN A NAME

Orbis. Say it out loud. Sounds a little like the word "four", doesn't it? Only it doesn't make the next PlayStation sound like a bad horror movie sequel.

It's also a name loaded with meaning. The word "Orbis" itself, from Latin, means circle, or ring, or even orbit. Not terribly helpful. Combine it with the name of Sony's new handheld system, though, and you have the common term Orbis Vita (or, in strict Latin, Orbis Vitae). Which means "The circle of life". Could the Vita be playing a very important role in the development and use of the next PlayStation home console? Maybe!

Such symbolism also suggests that rather than being a codename, like most companies employ when still developing a console (think NGP, or Durango), this might actually be the machine's final name. We don't know that, though, so keep an open mind about things.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
At this point...Do they really need to make a new console? PS3 is not perfect, and the estimated major life spam that Sony themselves mentioned was supposed to last no less than 10 years. But I don't think it's THAT outdated. Microsoft announced this week that there will be no new console announcement this year. So I guess we'll see.

Too soon, but I guess they have to follow suite if they want to stay in the race. I personally feel this generation still has more to offer, because so far it sucks compared to last generation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
At this point...Do they really need to make a new console?

Well even if what they say is true (which isn't guaranteed), the slated release is for Holiday 2013. That's over a year from now, and will likely coincide with Microsoft's own plans. The same cycle of the Wii U being less powerful than the other two will then repeat itself.

The PS3 came out in 2006, the 360 came out in 2005. While I like longevity, some developers like Bethesda have said that they have to work around technological limitations.

The technology sector has been in a race to make its products obsolete and I like the effect it's had these past decades. So long as the industry's pushing to make more powerful products whose prices keep falling, I'm all for it.

However, I'm going to wait much longer this time around. The 360 didn't even have 1080p capability or a hard drive that didn't fry until a couple of years in.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Sorry but I refuse to churn out the cash for a new Xbox 360 or a new Playstation that rhymes with Orbitz. I
would rather Sony focus on enhancing the capabilities of the PS3 System much in the way that made
the PS2 so versatile and long-lasting.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
Well even if what they say is true (which isn't guaranteed), the slated release is for Holiday 2013. That's over a year from now, and will likely coincide with Microsoft's own plans. The same cycle of the Wii U being less powerful than the other two will then repeat itself.
Indeed. It doesn't feel like outdated technology yet, but I'd love to see Sony enhance their online capabilities (Group chats, better servers, etc.), and Microsoft to actually build a smart design that does not involve in breaking down every year. Other than that? I'm not really all that interested in super duper new tech. on consoles.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
I would rather Sony focus on enhancing the capabilities of the PS3 System much in the way that made the PS2 so versatile and long-lasting.

The PS3 is far more versatile than the PS2 ever was (even though they're slowly removing features as time goes by). The PS2 just happened to have a very favorable context when it came out. Sega was dying, the Gamecube couldn't find its public and the Xbox came out late and was an outsider.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Given that the next Console Systems will carry a lock/authorization key. I would say that now is the best time to raid gamestop/Best Buy/Amazon of all psx, ps2, ps3, Xbox, xbox 360 games new or used before those systems are released. Hey even if you aren't gonna play them you could at least sell them. Just think people can corner the market on video games that don't require an internet account to play them.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Didn't knew where exactly where to post this nor I believe making a new thread is beeded. Some interesting leaks came to ligjt about the specs of box Microsoft and Sony's new consoles. Seems legit for the most part, but as usual not official from either party. Also, the lawsuit seems very serious and I am sure it will bring a lot of debate into the table:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/01/16/next-gen-secrets-allegedly-leaked-to-nvidia-by-former-amd-executives

All I want to get out of my chest, is this media spam towards the new consoles. Every podcast and game news source that I read or listen to continue to spam how these consoles are going to be out this year when I can't remember any console being released the same year it is announced. My memory can be wrong, and I'm not going to to a thesis on this, but I'm a bit surprises and annoyed about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/01/16/next-gen-secrets-allegedly-leaked-to-nvidia-by-former-amd-executives
*Shrug* Specs aren't too exciting, if true. My newly rebuilt PC is already more powerful, but it's indeed quite a step up from the previous generation.

All I want to get out of my chest, is this media spam towards the new consoles.
I understand your frustration, but all this activity is just a symptom of this console cycle having lasted so long. New consoles shake things up, so everyone wants to speculate and talk about how the scales may shift in the coming years.

I can't remember any console being released the same year it is announced. My memory can be wrong, and I'm not going to to a thesis on this, but I'm a bit surprises and annoyed about it.
The Xbox 360 was officially unveiled on MTV on May 12, 2005, and was later sold on Nov. 22, 2005. But you're right in that the PS3 and Wii were both unveiled in 2005, and later sold in 2006. Likewise, PS2 was first announced in 1999, and wasn't sold until 2000.

Still, Sony and MS are living on borrowed time, which they bought by spending 2+ years milking the last breaths of their consoles with goddamned motion controllers. It's time they showed what's in their deck. I wouldn't be surprised at all for MS to release their console this year, and I could easily see Sony doing the same. I think they made a mistake this generation by coming out second, and at such a high price point.

...All this talk, and truly I'm not invested in the conversation. I don't think there's anything MS or Sony could do to interest me in buying a new console. My PC is more than enough for me.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
I understand your frustration, but all this activity is just a symptom of this console cycle having lasted so long. New consoles shake things up, so everyone wants to speculate and talk about how the scales may shift in the coming years.
The Xbox 360 was officially unveiled on MTV on May 12, 2005, and was later sold on Nov. 22, 2005. But you're right in that the PS3 and Wii were both unveiled in 2005, and later sold in 2006. Likewise, PS2 was first announced in 1999, and wasn't sold until 2000.

Still, Sony and MS are living on borrowed time, which they bought by spending 2+ years milking the last breaths of their consoles with goddamned motion controllers. It's time they showed what's in their deck. I wouldn't be surprised at all for MS to release their console this year, and I could easily see Sony doing the same. I think they made a mistake this generation by coming out second, and at such a high price point.

...All this talk, and truly I'm not invested in the conversation. I don't think there's anything MS or Sony could do to interest me in buying a new console. My PC is more than enough for me.

It's always exciting the news of new consoles, and I agree with the reasons behind it. I guess I'm just saturated with predictions vs. expectations. And as of same year release, since you put it that way (thank you for the info), makes sense.

PC gaming is new to me. And I'm starting to feel the same way you are. Looking back at this generation console I can count with one hand the exclusives that I actually played. But in the end I feel that I got my moneys worth with the PS3 features more than I did for XBox. I hope they keep bringing these AAA titles on PC.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
http://www.slashgear.com/playstation-4-announcement-tipped-for-february-20-in-sony-teaser-31267686/

PlayStation 4 announcement tipped for February 20 in Sony teaser
Posted by Eric Abent on January 31, 2013.

Rumors of the next console generation are hitting left and right as we head deeper into 2013, and today Sony may have just given us a date for the reveal of its next console. The companPy has released a new teaser trailer of sorts on the PlayStation Blog, and it suggests that the next PlayStation will be announced on February 20. That’s less than a month away, so the PlayStation 4 may be closer than some think.

Like all good teasers, Sony’s doesn’t give away anything. All we see are the classic PlayStation button symbols and the February 20, 2013 date at the end. The post on the PlayStation Blog is similarly short on details, but the title does invite us to “See the Future.” There’s also a link users can follow to leave their information to “Be the First to Know.” Naturally, we can’t be sure of Sony’s intentions, but it certainly sounds like the company is gearing up to announce its next console.

This event will be going down at 6PM Eastern on the February 20, and if Sony is planning to use it to reveal the PlayStation 4, it’ll probably be getting quite the jump on Microsoft. The Xbox maker has been just as secretive about its next console, but recently, Major Nelson posted a countdown clock to E3 2013 on his blog. That suggests Microsoft will reveal the next Xbox at the expo in June, meaning that Sony could have a number of months on Microsoft if it chooses to go all-in on February 20.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I absolutely can't wait for a repeat performance from Kaz! Sony's 2006 E3 showing is still my favorite press conference—ever. Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
frankencowx said:
I wouldn't be so quick to criticize lack of innovation with Nintendo's tablet of a controller and whatever Microsoft has coming.

Begun this console war has.

I am because the Wii U actually does some stuff that makes the gimmick worthwhile, while Sony's is so tiny it comes off as a "me too!" inclusion only apt for showing additional HUD items. It's some real VMU looking shit in an era where the VMU seems outdated.

but it doesn't matter to me, pc master race enjoy your console war scrubs

xxwwmoJ.gif

MrWeatherby said:
I am because the Wii U actually does some stuff that makes the gimmick worthwhile, while Sony's is so tiny it comes off as a "me too!" inclusion only apt for showing additional HUD items. It's some real VMU looking shit in an era where the VMU seems outdated.

but it doesn't matter to me, pc master race enjoy your console war scrubs

Uh huh.

Sony announcement in approximately 4 hours. Final guesses anyone? PS4 no used games? Always online? Pay to play? Discontinued Vita?

WNN03W7.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Final guesses anyone? PS4 no used games? Always online? Pay to play? Discontinued Vita?
I don't think they're going to disclose TOO much today. I doubt we'll see too many game demos, maybe not even the title. "The next Playstation." Certainly not the price. It will launch this fall, so they have at least 2 more big trade shows to continue the roll out on the details.

My humble predictions:
-Everything is online.
-Battlefield 4 demo leads the pack in GRAFFIXXX demos.
-Huge push for social media/YouTube integration.
-Touchpad on controller.
-Kaz will say something awkward and trite for laughs but gets only silence in return (cannot WAIT!).

Watching it now. The technology is impressive but I'm not sold on how they seem to be focusing soley on social networking and having a multi tasked system by design. I know this is what other companies are doing this generation and maybe I'm in the minority but I'm fine with my video game console just being a video game console. I can see the potential and convenience for many gamers, but I'm starting to get the feeling the direction consoles are taking just isn't for me.

Top Bottom