Playstation... All Stars... Battle Royale??

Last night the curtain was pulled off Sony's next big title, originally called Title Fight, now Playstion All Stars Battle Royale (PSABR anyone?) It looks like Smash Bros Brawl copypasta, but I guess only time will tell. I'm excited for the possibilities this game brings. Do you like the title? Who do you want to be in this game? Sound off!

Confirmed characters so far:

Fat Princess
Colonel Mael Radec
Sly Cooper
Sweet Tooth
Kratos
Parappa the Rapper
Nathan Drake
Big Daddy
Heihachi Mishima
Toro Inoue
Jak and Daxter
Cole MacGrath (Good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1bQSw7FOUQ

Reports from NeoGAF indicate some have hacked the BETA and found additional characters and stage thumbnails in the beta's code. The beta was closed to only select PS+ members.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484424

Paul Gale, the original rumor monger that leaked the game last year essentially confirms the spoils in his latest Q&A:

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/07/29/massive-new-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-qa-paul-gale-network-answers-some-of-your-most-popular-questions-including-ratchet-and-clanks-presence-hint-talk-what-is-liseks-great-advent/

New leak characters:
Cole MacGrath (Evil)
Dante (Ninja Theory version)
Raiden (MG: Rising?)
Spike (Ape Escape)
Sir Dan (MediEvil)
Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
Sackboy (LBP)
Ratchet (Ratchet and Clank)

Supposedly 2 characters left (1 Female and 1 RPG character) and an unknown boss.

Hnnn...

Well, if they /do/ manage to completely rip off Smash Bros., it might be fun. I'm not a huge fighting game fan, but I'll admit, if I can pit Kratos against Solid Snake, for example, I'm sold.

zrexe said:
Wow. They have no shame in copying do they?

Yes the way SuperBot is going about it is shameless. But if I were Nintendo I'd be flattered that someone is attempting to make another posterchild brawler game. All the more games like this we get the merrier, because frankly I think only 3 smash bros games in a 13 year span sucks.

H

hellrasinbrasin

I got dibs on Kratos no other character in that lineup will survive the onslaught of a God-Killer. XD

Press Release:

"Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) today announced the release of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, available for PlayStation 3 (PS3). Developed by SuperBot Entertainment, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is the ultimate four-player brawler, influenced by some of the greatest PlayStation themes and characters of all time. Spanning the entire PlayStation universe, players will select and control the likes of iconic characters such as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Parappa, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, and Sly Cooper among others. Additionally, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will include a line-up of special characters from some of the game industry’s top third party developers and publishers. With a host of playable characters, special attacks, themed stages, and mash up music, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale pits players in a deep fighting game that draws inspiration throughout the colorful PlayStation universe.

“PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale delivers a veritable encyclopedia of PlayStation’s rich gaming history,” said Guy Longworth, Senior Vice President of Marketing, SCEA. “This game is a celebration for fans of PlayStation and we are excited to deliver the most comprehensive brawler available.”

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gives players access to a wide variety of PlayStation characters and ties in the excitement of a four player, full screen brawler. Players can fight in a variety of configurations, including versus matches for four, team battles, special practice modes, and team up with friends to take on players online. Online battles will deliver a new set of challenges, including Tournament mode, Special Event Battle, and Custom Matches. In Tournament, players are matched online to gain experience and special awards. Special Event Battles allow SuperBot to set match parameters daily, and players earn experience points towards an overall leaderboard based on performance. Players can also arrange customized matches with their own rules.

Environments and music are drawn from the rich and varied history of PlayStation titles, then thrown together in unique mash ups that showcase each property in a new setting. The mash up elements will introduce a secondary IP to an existing theme, allowing situations where characters and environments from completely different PlayStation IP can interact during a match. The in-game music, composed by John King of the Dust Brothers, will also stay true to the mash up theme by incorporating a mix of various IP soundtracks throughout.

In addition to a rich and deep online multiplayer experience, players can engage in several single player modes including Combat Trials and Arcade mode. In Combat Trials, players not only learn the basics of the game but perfect their skills through hundreds of unique challenges. Additionally players can play through a fixed level progression with prizes in Arcade mode.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has not yet been rated. For more information about the title, please visit www.playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com."

http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/04/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-bringing-the-pain-to-the-ps3/

I'm still echoing what most are saying, the characters simply don't have the same charisma and classic feel as their Nintendo counterparts. Knowing that this games biggest comparison and competition would be Smash Bros you really think they would go that extra mile to set themselves apart or give their game a certain "X Factor" over the competition but I'm not seeing that here. Looks like a VERY similar game to Smash Bros. I'm pretty perplexed over the whole "only supers can kill" mechanic. Looking at the interface your super meter is really all there is.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think a project like this, pitting itself directly against Nintendo, is just going to highlight the fact that Sony really doesn't own many iconic franchises.

Walter said:
I think a project like this, pitting itself directly against Nintendo, is just going to highlight the fact that Sony really doesn't own many iconic franchises.

Come to think of it, I own a 360 and can't think of any iconic franchise for the 360 save for Gears of War and Halo (which are on the PC anyway and I don't even care about those franchises). At least with the PS3 I could play God of War, MGS, or Journey.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
Come to think of it, I own a 360 and can't think of any iconic franchise for the 360 save for Gears of War and Halo (which are on the PC anyway and I don't even care about those franchises). At least with the PS3 I could play God of War, MGS, or Journey.
Hahaha, Journey? Well if we're going to include that late-comer, then we may as well say that the 360 now has FEZ as an icon :troll:

Here's a quick list of potential first party Sony characters.

Cole Macgrath(Infamous)
Nathan Drake(Uncharted)
Jak(Jak and Daxter)
Ratchet(Ratchet and Clank)
Sackboy(Little Big Planet)
Wanderer(Shadow of the Colossus)
Dart(Legend of Dragoon)
Gabe Logan(Syphon Filter)
Sir Daniel(Medievil)
Chimera(Resistance)
Shu(Arc the Lad)
Toro the Sony Cat
Crash(Crash Bandicoot///Used to be first party.)
Spyro(Spyro the Dragon///Used to be first party.)

props to me friend Kupomogli from Siliconera. He clearly knows his Sony .

Draculoid said:
Here's a quick list of potential first party Sony characters.

Cole Macgrath(Infamous)
Nathan Drake(Uncharted)
Jak(Jak and Daxter)
Ratchet(Ratchet and Clank)
Sackboy(Little Big Planet)
Wanderer(Shadow of the Colossus)
Dart(Legend of Dragoon)
Gabe Logan(Syphon Filter)
Sir Daniel(Medievil)
Chimera(Resistance)
Shu(Arc the Lad)
Toro the Sony Cat
Crash(Crash Bandicoot///Used to be first party.)
Spyro(Spyro the Dragon///Used to be first party.)

props to me friend Kupomogli from Siliconera. He clearly knows his Sony .

Can't forget Jet Li (Rise to Honor) =P

Also, as an avid Smasher for over 10 years, I can confidently say that even though the production team was obviously inspired by Smash Bros, this game will be a different experience, gameplay wise. There's a ton more depth to Smash than most people realize, and even if All Stars has a ton of depth too, it's highly unlikely it will be in a similar fashion. In other words, I welcome this new game and I'm excited to try it out when it's released. However, I'm going to guess that there is no way this game will overthrow Smash Bros as one of the most complex, 2-4 player, competitive fighting games on consoles.

Walter said:
Hahaha, Journey? Well if we're going to include that late-comer, then we may as well say that the 360 now has FEZ as an icon :troll:

Everyone seems to love the game and I want to give it a shot.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
it looks exactly like smash bros... this angers me! :mozgus:

nintendo should sue sony. or at least slap them on the wrist.

it would please me to see Regi from Nintendo of America poke fun at Sony's attempt to copy Smash bros at this years E3.. that would just be hnnnnnng..

I think the success of this franchise will rest on the inclusion of third party characters. Here's to hoping some Squeenix characters make it in, or Alucard =/

Some new tidbits from lead game director Omar Kendall:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-director-talks-roster-selection-and-more-in-this-interview/

Highlights:
Can you mix online and local play?
Yeah, multiple configurations. We’ve got this party system where you can even rearrange, or pre-arrange. If you and I wanted to play, and I am at my house and you are at your house, we can pair up and match make online with strangers if we want to. Bunch of different options.

So far we have just seen four player free-for-all. Will there be co-op as well?
Yep, we support a wide gamut of team configurations, so of course 2v2, but we also have things like 3v1, and 1v2. We have all the permutations of team battle.

How many players max?
Maximum of four players.

All the characters seen (and rumored) so far are all Sony exclusives. Will we see some third-party characters?
I think we wouldn’t really be doing the title a proper service if you only focused on first-party. Obviously PlayStation and Sony, they’ve got some great brands. But when you think about PlayStation and its long history, I think that includes third party. I think it only makes sense. A game like this, you’re going to see some third party characters.

Could we see any non-gaming characters?
<Laughter> Maybe. You never know.

Once the game has been released, can we expect the roster to grow through DLC?
Yeah, absolutely. We’re trying to do the best we can and listen to what players want now. I don’t think we’ll obviously get to everything, but there’s always room to add more down the road via DLC.

What was the process for selecting the characters you picked?
It was sort of a combination of a lot of different systems. First and foremost we listened to the fans. The idea for this game has existed long before Sony Santa Monica and Superbot got around to making it. There’s a wealth of information out there regarding what fans want to see and what characters they want to see—and what matchups they’d like to see. So we made sure to try and get as many of those as possible, but also, at the same time we’re Sony fans. We’re fighting game fans. There’s definitely characters that we wanted to see that we made sure were included, perhaps some lesser known characters that haven’t been around for a while. It runs the gamut.

Were there any characters that you really wanted to get but for whatever reason–licensing maybe–you couldn’t get?
So far so good. I think everyone understands just how important this is to the fans, and everyone wants to meet their expectations. These IP holders—we worked very, very closely with all of these guys, and they are all involved in the selection process…we’re trying our hardest! The developers get it, and hopefully the fans appreciate it.

Any chance that we might see this on Vita?
Maybe… Stay tuned.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I want this guy in the roster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4&feature=related

Ohh but I can imagine his special attack...

Added 2 more characters leaked early via facebook and confirmed last night at Sony's e3 press conference: Nathan Drake duuur, and Big Daddy (Bioshock what??)

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Not leaked. They showed a "hands on" presentation with both characters on. That and the end of the presentation they showed both characters at the very end. Meh...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Big Daddy being a character is rather hilarious, considering that BioShock came to the PS3 a little over a year late.

Walter said:
Big Daddy being a character is rather hilarious, considering that BioShock came to the PS3 a little over a year late.

Exactly. It makes me wonder what constitutes a Playstation All-Star..

Top Bottom