WIP Berserk BJD

I have been planning and plotting my Berserk BJD, (ball jointed dolls), for years now. I work part time as a professional BJD artist, (I paint blank sculpts on commission), and a lot of my fandoms wind up in my personal collection, so it was pretty inevitable that I have a Berserk doll or two here. The problem was finding just the right molds/sculpts as the bases for the characters. After a long search, I finally found my Guts and Griffith last year; I'm saving up for Casca now, but that might take a while, as the sculpt I have in mind for her is pricey and the tan resin makes it a little more expensive.

In any case, Guts and Griffith are in progress! I've painted them and I've gotten their wigs (although I'm not 100% satisfied with Guts' just yet), eyes and shoes together. Now it's just a matter of making their clothes and weaponry :guts:

These photos are from various photoshoots I've done over the past 6 months or so; I'm hoping, someday to recreate a a few scenes from the manga/anime with them, but that will have to wait until they're a bit more finished
without_my_sword__i_cannot_sleep____by_dollsylph-d50ya4y.jpg

without_my_sword__i_cannot_sleep_2_by_dollsylph-d50yanr.jpg

guts_by_dollsylph-d4gh4ss.jpg

gutsgriff080edit.jpg

in_this_world____by_dollsylph-d470xro.jpg

*I haven't made his own Behelit yet, so I had him pose with the one I made for my Griffith cosplay lol

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! The dolls themselves look pretty good, but one thing I just have to remark on is that Guts' face looks too effeminate to me. Of course I imagine your selection is rather limited in that regard, but I wonder if you might not be able to give it more masculine lines with some light touch-up.

Aazealh said:
Nice! The dolls themselves look pretty good, but one thing I just have to remark on is that Guts' face looks too effeminate to me. Of course I imagine your selection is rather limited in that regard, but I wonder if you might not be able to give it more masculine lines with some light touch-up.

Thanks so much! BJD male dolls tend to have sculpts that are notoriously effeminate, (perfect for Griffith, not much much for Guts lol). Right now, I'm envisioning him as younger Guts and just sort of going with the softer lines of his face, but there's actually another version of that head sculpt that has a wonderful, quirky expression to the brow that lends itself to a more masculine look. I've been keeping my eye out for it on the secondary marketplace so that I can make a 'manly older Guts' version too at some point :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hehehe nice, well in any case I'll be curious to see how it all looks once you're done. :serpico:

Aazealh said:
Hehehe nice, well in any case I'll be curious to see how it all looks once you're done. :serpico:
Thanks! I really do need to get cracking on finishing their clothes, not to mention swords, (and armor if I ever decide I'm brave enough to attempt making it)

Joe Chip said:
They look good, different from everything i've seen before. Are these dolls expensive arrowchild ?
Thank you :serpico:
They do get pretty pricey, especially at this size, (Guts weighs in at around 7lbs-my arms get tired while working on him lol)

Grail

Feel the funk blast
These dolls are looking great so far, nice job! And yeah, it's a shame that big muscly BJDs aren't really a thing, but I think you're making the most of what you've got in this case. :guts: I hope you'll post more progress shots as you go!

The BJDs look good so far, arrowchild! I especially like the Guts one because his face reminds me of the actress Chloe Moretz. :serpico: I can't wait to see them when you're finished!

The Beast of Darkness said:
Yeah, very nice work on these dolls! Curious to see how they will turn out.
Thanks!

Grail said:
These dolls are looking great so far, nice job! And yeah, it's a shame that big muscly BJDs aren't really a thing, but I think you're making the most of what you've got in this case. :guts: I hope you'll post more progress shots as you go!
Thank you! Muscly BJD are definitely few and far between, (although there are a few more now than there used to be). I'll definitely post progress shots as I go. I'll be working on their clothing next I think.

The Good Reverend Skeleton said:
The BJDs look good so far, arrowchild! I especially like the Guts one because his face reminds me of the actress Chloe Moretz. :serpico: I can't wait to see them when you're finished!
lol...Now when I look at my Guts I'm going to think of Let Me In :serpico: Thanks so much-I'm looking forward to finishing these two!

Top Bottom