Episode 328

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Title: 遠い日の春花① - The Spring Flower of Days Long Passed (1)​

No title yet. The Miura comment says something about it telling the story of an encounter Guts had with an elf in his past:

"Now it's time for me to show why Guts hates elves." (Thanks to Puella for translating.)

Another episode of Berserk is also slated for the next issue of Young Animal (6/22).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A link with the coming arrival to Elfhelm appears to be more or less confirmed. All the more interesting.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I had to do about five or so takes at the thread title. Feels like forever since a new one has been added here.

Anywho, can't wait for the episode.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Very interesting indeed. I wonder if the elf we see in the preview will come back at some point, or if she'll be mentioned again once they get to Elfhelm?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Puella translated the Miura comment for us: "Now it's time for me to show why Guts hates elves."

I was a little surprised by this wording... hate? But indeed, in volume 1, Guts says that he doesn't like elves, because they're weak. I had forgotten that line.

PS: This circumstance reminds me of the time Guts was imprisoned in volume 1, and Puck helped him escape.

H

hellrasinbrasin

So this is gonna play out kinda like a "The Seeds of the Future Lie Buried in the Past"
sorta thing. I'm more interested in who this new elf character will end up being and
what if any relevance the character will have in regard to the Elfhelm story.

Anyone else think that's elf dust is falling onto guts in that preview pic or is it just me?

In any case, I'm looking forward to this. Getting to see miura draw a younger guts (possibly other older characters?) for more than a brief flash back panel or two will be cool, not to mention the reason as to why guts hates elves. Awesome :puck:

Walter said:
Puella translated the Miura comment for us: "Now it's time for me to show why Guts hates elves."

I was a little surprised by this wording... hate? But indeed, in volume 1, Guts says that he doesn't like elves, because they're weak. I had forgotten that line.

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the preview. I really hope it doesn't end up being as dark as my gut thinks it will. I can't help but think young Guts will become fond of the elf only for it to die thereby emotionally wounding him and making him emotionally distant when he encounters another elf.

And thank you so much Puella for the translation of Miura's comment! :)

Oburi

All praise Grail
This looks so damn interesting. Why Guts hates (or hated) elves. I love how things from the earlier books are still relevant even at this point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Keep in mind though that the word "hate" might be a bit strong here compared to the intended meaning. It could be something more akin to "dislike".

Walter said:
PS: This circumstance reminds me of the time Guts was imprisoned in volume 1, and Puck helped him escape.

Same here, and I don't think it's a coincidence. Just you wait and watch Miura add some subtleties to volume 1's jail scene. :guts:

Anyway, speaking more generally about the elves, I think it might also be a matter of non-interference with humans, how they mostly shy away from human affairs. Puck is rather exceptional in that regard, and I believe this flashback may also be used to stress that. How "our" elves aren't necessarily representative of the whole species, Ivalera being something of her own as well. Definitely very exciting stuff and a clever tie-in to what will be next.

The Good Reverend Skeleton said:
I really hope it doesn't end up being as dark as my gut thinks it will.

Like I said on the podcast they advertized that flashback as being "warm", so it probably shouldn't be too dark. That being said I offer you no guarantees here.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
Like I said on the podcast they advertized that flashback as being "warm", so it probably shouldn't be too dark. That being said I offer you no guarantees here.

Usually when you're pretty unsure about something, it ends up being a pretty sure thing in the end.

So, by saying no guarantees, you're actually giving your indirect guarantee :troll:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Those pictures sure have me excited! One small observation though: I'm assuming that the little elf in the preview picture is supposed to be a pisky like Puck and Ivalera. Kinda odd, because I don't remember seeing an elf with rounded-off ears like that. Wonder what if it means anything, or it's just superficial. :???: After all, if Guts can have pointy ears without being an elf, maybe it works the other way around. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Those pictures sure have me excited! One small observation though: I'm assuming that the little elf in the preview picture is supposed to be a pisky like Puck and Ivalera. Kinda odd, because I don't remember seeing an elf with rounded-off ears like that. Wonder what if it means anything, or it's just superficial. :???: After all, if Guts can have pointy ears without being an elf, maybe it works the other way around. :troll:
I noticed it too, and looked up various times we've seen other elves, mostly when Puck describes Elfhelm and also Volume 15 when Puck catches a glimpse of what the Misty Valley was like long ago. However, I didn't see any other instances of Elves with rounded ears. Of course, there's also the fact that elves are a large race of creatures, and it could just be that we've never seen another one particularly like this before.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, my first thought upon seeing the image is that it looks like an adolescent Ivalera. Of course, that could just be because it's female-looking, so even if that's not likely perhaps it is the equivalent of a young elf and her ears haven't developed yet. :iva:

Oburi

All praise Grail
This may be the first episode in a long time where I wait for a proper translation before even looking at anything else ( I love you Puella!).

But who am I kidding.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I also don't see any wings, unless they are tucked behind. Since Puck said they can feel people's emotions, I'm assuming something similar is happening, it sure gives you more background on Guts on that line from volume 1, since now with this episode it makes it more clear he inded had an encounter with an elve before Puck came along.

Thank you so much about this. I tried to understand what was going on based on the pictures alone. I really liked this episode, it's nice to see Mr. Miura back in action again. I can't wait to read some of your replies !

Interesting episode! I was wondering how Miura was going to have Guts see the elf since usually "normal" people can't see them.

And I don't know who the guy with the goatee is. He'll probably end up being a huge prick once the episode is translated. But for now I like him! Quite the cunning character! :ubik: My first impression of him was that he reminded me of depictions of the devil when the devil poses as a human trickster or con artist. I could definitely see him standing at some rural Mississippi crossroad, offering you mastery of the guitar for your soul.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
This is really interesting. For a second I thought that guy was going to be a mentor type to Guts, but seeing him trick him like that makes more sense when you think of how Guts acts later on in his life. :sad:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
A good mentor is just too good for Guts. You know he can't have nice things!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is fascinating stuff, and
Gambino
got such screen time. I look forward to a translation :ubik:

Top Bottom