Episode 328

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
What a great time to be a Berserk fan. Classic Guts. We even got a "DON'T TOUCH ME" scene.

Eagerly awaiting a translation as well. I am amazed at everything about this episode. The art is top notch as always. Bravo to Kentarou Miura.

I'm wondering if that guy will show up again.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
This is fascinating stuff, and
Gambino
got such screen time.

Mission accomplished! :ubik:

He looked so different in the new style sometimes I hardly recognized him. Very cool to see. I like the whole story, and I hope we see Guts' "friend" again, looks like he's already taught him a different kind of life lesson. :guts:

Walter said:
This is fascinating stuff, and
Gambino
got such screen time. I look forward to a translation :ubik:

Me too. I can't wait to know the story:D

p.s this :ubik: emoticon always makes me laugh especially when Walter uses it I don't know why lol. Genius whoever thought of this emoticon

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
He looked so different in the new style sometimes I hardly recognized him. Very cool to see. I like the whole story, and I hope we see Guts' "friend" again, looks like he's already taught him a different kind of life lesson. :guts:
Actually the art style was one thing I wanted to mention. It looks like Miura is using an older hatching technique for shading in this episode. It could just be me, but I got a distinctly old-school vibe from the art in this episode.

SuperVegetto said:
p.s this :ubik: emoticon always makes me laugh especially when Walter uses it I don't know why lol. Genius whoever thought of this emoticon
That would be me :void:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great episode (and feels great to say that after a long while! :ganishka:)

There was a satisfying mix of action and dialogue this time around, and that flashback-within-a-flashback definitely took me by surprise! I can't wait to grab a copy of the new YA and yank out that colored illustration. :guts:

Walter said:
Actually the art style was one thing I wanted to mention. It looks like Miura is using an older hatching technique for shading in this episode. It could just be me, but I got a distinctly old-school vibe from the art in this episode.
Yeah, I felt the same. He grabbed the atmosphere of this whole episode so well, bringing back the feeling of the Guts' childhood episodes.

To be honest, this whole episode was surprising and a bit weird for me, a
flashback
was the last thing I expected.

By the way, it was interesting to see Guts
with two eyes and hands again
. I was wondering, it must have been hard to draw him like this after drawing him like that for long years... Maybe that's why it took him so long,
he had to get used to "normal" Guts again, and trying to not erase his hand and eye
? :troll:

I Lurve how much every episode amazes and impresses me. After seeing the preview pics I thought I knew what to expect. NOT A CHANCE!. Thanks Miura, you always keep it interesting!! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gill said:
By the way, it was interesting to see Guts
with two eyes and hands again
. I was wondering, it must have been hard to draw him like this after drawing him like that for long years... Maybe that's why it took him so long,
he had to get used to "normal" Guts again, and trying to not erase his hand and eye
? :troll:
It's a funny thought, but I really doubt that's the case. Miura's a pro, afterall.

RaWManiac said:
Wow, amazing episode!
I'm so eager to see it translated... And yeah, that kinda looks like a teen Ivalera :iva:
The resemblance is just because of the flowers she arranged in her hair. But it's not her. Wouldn't make a lot of sense...

Jaze1618 said:
After seeing the preview pics I thought I knew what to expect. NOT A CHANCE!. Thanks Miura, you always keep it interesting!! :guts:
When we get 1-2 preview pictures only, they generally show the last few images of an episode and leave the rest as mystery. Personally I'm glad of it this time, because the flashback-within-a-flashback thing was a welcome surprise to me (#1 Gambino fan).

Not that I didn't think I was going to enjoy the episode based on the spoilers of a flashback, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Definitely agree with everyone on the old school Berserk vibe, it was great! The new man introduced helping Guts seems like an interesting character and I can't wait to read his dialogue.The new elf character is adorable! I'm surprised no one has commented on how cute she is! :serpico:

The soaring hawk was a very nice touch as well, especially considering this was long before he ever met Griffith. I'm very curious of the dialogue on that page.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Draculoid said:
The soaring hawk was a very nice touch as well, especially considering this was long before he ever met Griffith. I'm very curious of the dialogue on that page.

Maybe the new character speaks of the band of the hawk (falcon, not sure which one is the real or if we can say both) to Guts?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I couldn't help checking out the preview images at the start of the thread! I'm such a hypocrite! :ganishka: Like Walter said, I'm glad it was only two images so that the majority of the episode was kept a secret.

Wow! It's great to have Berserk back again.

I really like the design of the new character (I believe his name is Martin); his eyebrows are bad ass.

I can't wait for a translation, especially for the flashback featuring Gambino.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just to confirm it to you guys, though there was no doubt to me, but the beginning is Guts reminiscing: "I didn't care when or where I'd croak, that's what I thought back then", "this kind of battlefield, it's meaningless to survive", that sort of things. It ties in directly to his thoughts as he escaped the Sea God's carcass in episode 327: "am I going to croak here?" A rather awesome way to transition from his escape to their arrival at Elfhelm and to simultaneously underline the difference between his current state of mind and what it used to be. The episode also tangentially stresses the importance of having friends, see below.

Draculoid said:

There's no direct mention of the Band of the Falcon, but the guy is telling Guts about his future, about surviving and making friends on the battlefield, such things (because Guts had more or less lost his will to survive). Anyway, it's pretty interesting that after being tricked to act as a decoy for the guards, Guts reminisces about Gambino tricking rookies into triggering the enemy's archers while the seasoned warriors waited for the way to be clear. Harsh life lessons indeed.

Rhombaad said:
I really like the design of the new character (I believe his name is Martin); his eyebrows are bad ass.

Yup. Although the name is "Martino".

Thanks for giving me a rough idea of what's going on there Aazealh. That's also really cool about what is going on in the Gambino section. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Transcribing this episode for translation... seeing Gambino on page like this, philosophizing about the battlefield... it's making me all emotional :sad: This episode is so great, you guys.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
There's no direct mention of the Band of the Falcon, but the guy is telling Guts about his future, about surviving and making friends on the battlefield, such things (because Guts had more or less lost his will to survive).

I'm not normally one to call things, but I'm going to have to chyme in on this one and say, "Wow, I can't believe I saw that coming and it still had a pretty strong impact."

Can't wait for a translation, so awesome :guts:
Anyone else find it kinda interesting that when Guts is seen imprisoned/feeling hopeless or down or what have you, he has elves come before him, yet when we see Griffith imprisoned and feeling beaten he's visited by demons? Doubt it means anything, just something I thought I'd point out

Chaos said:
Can't wait for a translation, so awesome :guts:
Anyone else find it kinda interesting that when Guts is seen imprisoned/feeling hopeless or down or what have you, he has elves come before him, yet when we see Griffith imprisoned and feeling beaten he's visited by demons? Doubt it means anything, just something I thought I'd point out

That's actually a very interesting parallel I never saw before and this definitely strengthens it ! I doubt it is anything that will play any significant part of the plot but still a nice touch.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:

I also don't think it's intended to mean anything (especially since in Puck's case it was more of a "I owe you one" scenario), but the parallel is indeed interesting to note.

Anyways, I'm still curious about the reason for Guts' alleged displeasure with elves. Aside from everything cited so far, I also thought about their fickleness, the fact they're so very carefree. Depending on the situation, it could make them seem... unreliable.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I don't think that any elves are going to do anything that could give Guts a reason to truly hate them. Honestly, I think most of the dislike of elves is going to come from the fact that Guts was a really grumpy guy.

I still can't get over Mr. Trickster's face. I always admire Miura's ability to create really interesting character designs, but for some reason this one really pops out at me. Despite tricking Guts, he seems to be a very interesting character. I hope he comes back. At least to get a sock to the face from Guts.

The color page is fantastic, too. It's very "nostalgic" looking. The sky looks cool as hell. I can't imagine how weird Miura feels drawing young Guts again.

Now what I'm wondering is: are we going to transition from this 3-episode story directly to Elfhelm? Or are we going to see a bit of Falconia first. To be honest, either would be fine for me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I don't think that any elves are going to do anything that could give Guts a reason to truly hate them. Honestly, I think most of the dislike of elves is going to come from the fact that Guts was a really grumpy guy.

Yeah that's what it ever really was to me. Guts was harsh with Puck because he wanted to stay alone, didn't want to be bothered, nor wanted his decisions to be questioned. But he warmed up to him quickly enough and never displayed much more than annoyance.

Gobolatula said:
Now what I'm wondering is: are we going to transition from this 3-episode story directly to Elfhelm? Or are we going to see a bit of Falconia first. To be honest, either would be fine for me.

Ditto, I wouldn't mind either way. It'll be awesome regardless of what we get. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious about why this particular elf is hanging around a jail cell. Also about the particular circumstance Guts was in that he was able to see her: exhaustion, loneliness? Both?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Also about the particular circumstance Guts was in that he was able to see her: exhaustion, loneliness? Both?

Maybe just open-minded? Not everybody is unaware of elves.

Top Bottom