Episode 329

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Title: 遠い日の春花② - The Spring Flower of Days Long Passed (2)​

Straight from Japan: the name of the elf is "チッチ", which I guess could be romanized as "Chicchi" among other things.

She's the spirit of the flower and is excited that Guts is the first one to summon her. She exerts herself, using up all the leaves to cure him, but dies the next morning as a result.

So as expected, it seems the previous comment about Guts' feelings towards elves should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems he was rather traumatized by the event.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
...Well, that's depressing. :sad:

Sad to see her go so quickly. Wonder what impression that will leave on Guts. And yeah.. "hate" certainly seems to be the wrong thing to emphasize here. It's more like he was let down by how weak they were, like he said in volume 1 afterall.

Needless to say, I'm interested in what the coda will be for this 3 parter, with Chicchi already gone.

Wow, well I'm really curious to see what actually goes on in this episode. Sounds like a real downer but also some great emotional development for young Guts. SO he "dislikes" elves because of how upset this situation made him?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Nice! I can't wait to see that episode. I wonder indeed to see what is gonna be said between these two. Will she also help him get out?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Straight from Japan: the name of the elf is "チッチ", which I guess could be romanized as "Chicchi" among other things.

She's the spirit of the flower and is excited that Guts is the first one to summon her. She exerts herself, using up all the leaves to cure him, but dies the next morning as a result.

So as expected, it seems the previous comment about Guts' feelings towards elves should be taken with a grain of salt. It seems he was rather traumatized by the event.

Awww... :sad:

Guts just can't seem to catch a break.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RaffoBaffo said:
Of course, i only want to know if there will be a pause or not.

No, there won't be one. It had been announced right from the beginning that the 3 episodes would be in a row.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm really curious about how Miura's going to wrap up this 3-part flashback, now that we know Chichi dies in this episode. I guess we'll know more when we see how 329 ends.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I'm really curious about how Miura's going to wrap up this 3-part flashback, now that we know Chichi dies in this episode. I guess we'll know more when we see how 329 ends.
A note about the name, I didn't catch it at first either. It's Chicchi or Cicce, but it's definitely not Chichi.

Chichi in Japanese would be チチ
But her name is spelled as チッチ.

The extra sound there implies a different spelling.

It seems that Guts do not hate elves but he didn't want Puck to be associated with him since he is for the most of the time surrounded by danger and also seeing Puck triggered the memory Chicchi. That is of course an assumption on my part but but every thing should be clear by the end of the flash story.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
A note about the name, I didn't catch it at first either. It's Chicchi or Cicce, but it's definitely not Chichi.

Chichi in Japanese would be チチ
But her name is spelled as チッチ.

The extra sound there implies a different spelling.

Whoops! I didn't see the extra "c" in there. Thanks for correcting me! :serpico:

Gordy

I'm a llama!
I ask myself if there is a connection between this flashback and the arrival in elfheim.
Speaking of elves right now could suggest that it is next

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Aazealh said:
She's the spirit of flower and is excited that Guts is the first one to summon her. She exerts herself, using up all the leaves to cure him, but dies the next morning as a result.

I think there's some interesting implications here, assuming I'm inferring correctly. When she uses the leaves, I'm imagining its not like she's brewing up some kind of salve, but rather she's using her affinity with nature to heal Guts (something like using it's power and transferring it).

Then there's the whole exertion thing. Has that ever been addressed in the manga before. I'm currently re-reading (only on vol. 3) since it's been a couple years since I did a read-through and I can't remember if Puck or Ivarella ever mention it being dangerous to try and cure too much.

I'll be interesting to see the contexts in image.

It's good to see that there are some elves who are the spirits of plants (or, at least, that one species of flower...). I was really hoping that was the case.

It's a shame to hear the elf dies. But that's life. There's no room for the weak and goodhearted in this merciless, dark world. :femto:

Well I think that it's a high possibility that after poor Chicchi dies as a result of curing Guts, he's gonna have to use all his strength and wits to escape, meaning we'll get to see some young Guts action... :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:
Maybe "Titch"?

Hmm, I don't know... I'm thinking it might be a reference to this series: http://chich.jp/

So... Maybe Chich?

Gordy said:
I ask myself if there is a connection between this flashback and the arrival in Elfhelm.
Speaking of elves right now could suggest that it is next

Well duh. :schierke:

Delta Phi Zeta said:
When she uses the leaves, I'm imagining its not like she's brewing up some kind of salve, but rather she's using her affinity with nature to heal Guts (something like using it's power and transferring it).

Given her appearance, similar to that of the flower, it might be that she's intimately linked to it. So as one would wither, so would the other.

Delta Phi Zeta said:
Then there's the whole exertion thing. Has that ever been addressed in the manga before. I'm currently re-reading (only on vol. 3) since it's been a couple years since I did a read-through and I can't remember if Puck or Ivarella ever mention it being dangerous to try and cure too much.

They've mentioned it in passing when Guts was seriously wounded after his fight against Grunberd, but they never hinted at the risk of dying. Just that they'd run out of elf powder.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Given her appearance, similar to that of the flower, it might be that she's intimately linked to it. So as one would wither, so would the other.

A bit like in the never ending story (the book not the movie) with the house of change where the owner of the house is linked to the house (the house is like a huge pumpkin). So that when the house withers, the owner withers too. Yeah I'd like that. (probably is too as you point out, it makes sense)

Top Bottom