Episode 329

Guts and flower themed elves. Who would have thunk it? :ganishka:

Seriously, though. A cool tie in/foreshadowing/what-have-you

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Maybe the king of the elves Hanafubuku Oh will be linked to something similar to this scenario. Could be a hint. Or i could be totally "in the champ" on that one. :guts:

It makes me wonder all the more about how Puck and Ivarella don't seem to be tied down like the one here is, not anchored to a place or a thing, unless they're tied to humans somehow - Puck to Guts, and now Isidro, Ivarella to Schierke.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Maybe the king of the elves Hanafubuku Oh will be linked to something similar to this scenario.
It's not that far-fetched to think there might be some kind of connection, given that his name is the King of Flower Storm. Btw, calling him "Habafubuku Oh" is like referring to the "Band of the Hawk" as the "Taka no Dan."

Bekul said:
It makes me wonder all the more about how Puck and Ivarella don't seem to be tied down like the one here is, not anchored to a place or a thing, unless they're tied to humans somehow - Puck to Guts, and now Isidro, Ivarella to Schierke.
We don't know much about the elf yet, so I wouldn't go assuming such things. We just know that she has an affinity with the flower, and uses it to heal Guts. It doesn't mean she's anchored to it or that place. And Puck and Ivalera are piskies, wind spirits. They're not tied to humans, but they do seem to enjoy the company of children.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
It's not that far-fetched to think there might be some kind of connection, given that his name is the King of Flower Storm. Btw, calling him "Habafubuku Oh" is like referring to the "Band of the Hawk" as the "Taka no Dan."

Is it a bad thing? If so i'll stop using it. I was happy to not forget his "name". I'm no good with these things. :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Is it a bad thing? If so i'll stop using it. I was happy to not forget his "name". I'm no good with these things. :slan:
"Hanafubuku Oh" doesn't mean anything. It's simply his Japanese name (花吹雪く王) written out in the English alphabet. But since we know the translation—King of Flower Storm—there's simply no need to call him by the untranslated name. You may as well call Griffith グリフィス(gu-ri-fi-su).

I think people often use "Hanafubuku Oh" for him because it sounds like some mysterious name. Of course, the full meaning of the name is quite cool if you are Japanese. If you've ever seen cherry blossoms carried by a wind, then Hanafubuku Oh calls to mind a very beautiful, evocative image. Unfortunately that doesn't translate gracefully into English, so we get King of Flower Storm, a blunt translation of a poetic thing.

The point of this lecture? Well, as he's someone we've known to be associated with flowers/petals, it's possible there will be some connection. So best to sort this stuff out sooner rather than later.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
"Hanafubuku Oh" doesn't mean anything. It's simply his Japanese name (花吹雪く王) written out in the English alphabet. But since we know the translation—King of Flower Storm—there's simply no need to call him by the untranslated name. You may as well call Griffith グリフィス(gu-ri-fi-su).

I think people often use "Hanafubuku Oh" for him because it sounds like some mysterious name. Of course, the full meaning of the name is quite cool if you are Japanese. If you've ever seen cherry blossoms carried by a wind, then Hanafubuku Oh calls to mind a very beautiful, evocative image. Unfortunately that doesn't translate gracefully into English, so we get King of Flower Storm, a blunt translation of a poetic thing.

The point of this lecture? Well, as he's someone we've known to be associated with flowers/petals, it's possible there will be some connection. So best to sort this stuff out sooner rather than later.

Definitely more clear to me now! Thank you very much for your explanation walter. I used it because I didn't know that king of flower storm meant Hanafubuku Oh well I forgot to be honest cause I did read about it when it came out and saw posts from bla bla.. but thx for the reminder!

Well, that adorable little elf dying is incredibly depressing. On the plus side, at least it provides a counterpoint to Martino's actions in the last episode; after all, not everyone is a backstabbing douche.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheLastMariachi said:
Well, that adorable little elf dying is incredibly depressing. On the plus side, at least it provides a counterpoint to Martino's actions in the last episode; after all, not everyone is a backstabbing douche.

Yeah, and it'll be interesting to see how that contrast between the two characters ended up making Guts bitter. Maybe it was a way to shield himself emotionally, maybe he drew the wrong conclusions (about self-sacrifice being a sign of weakness), we'll see.

Also, I agree with JH that Chich's (I'm running with that spelling) relation to the flower and the healing powers she's displaying in this episode are essentially an introduction to the King of the Flower Storm. I wonder what his tree will look like. :guts: Speaking of trees, anyone remember Ganishka's corpse after the advent of Fantasia? The giant tree sitting right in front of Falconia? Could it be tied to the rest somehow?

Just for fun, here's an infuriatingly unfair scenario:

King: "To cure an ailment such as this would require the most powerful of fruits... One from a very specific tree. You must venture there with her to retrieve it in order to cure her."
Guts: "But I just came from there!"

Aazealh said:

King: "To cure an ailment such as this would require the most powerful of fruits... One from a very specific tree. You must venture there with her to retrieve it in order to cure her."
NO NO NO NO NO DON'T JINX IT Aazealh!!!!! hahaha

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
Speaking of trees, anyone remember Ganishka's corpse after the advent of Fantasia? The giant tree sitting right in front of Falconia? Could it be tied to the rest somehow?

Yeah that tree and my neverending story "comparison" made me think of that. That and our new friend in the recent episode Chich!

Aazealh said:

That would indeed be very ... frustrating!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm anticipating this scenario. :ubik:

The cynic in me want to believe this, but I honestly think Miura would go the route of reflection rather then meaningless quests.......Hopefully.......

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:

:ganishka:

Do we think that Chich's death could possibly hold some sort of parallel to what might happen to the King of Flower Storm when it comes to curing Casca?

JezzaX said:
Do we think that Chich's death could possibly hold some sort of parallel to what might happen to the King of Flower Storm when it comes to curing Casca?

There's no way to know for sure but that is something I hadn't thought of before. Very interesting... :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chich really is cute as a button. As I was telling Wally the other day I think she's flat out the cutest thing in Berserk so far, beating even Erica. In the episode, Guts is actually the first person to see her and she's so very happy about that. She calls him her companion and all.

As for Miura's comment this week, it's roughly: The movie "The battle for Doldrey" that'll be shown from tomorrow on is better than the first one in terms of art and picture quality. Everyone please enjoy it!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Gobolatula said:
Oh God I got choked up. Great episode.
I'm glad you said it first. It says a lot about an episode when you get all bleary-eyed and can't even understand a thing that's being said. :judo:

But dang, that Chich sure gives Puck a run for his money in the adorable department. I wonder what the story is with that noble?

Great episode. As always, I'm astounded by the quality of the drawings...
On page 20, that panel with Guts looking at the dead button is particularly touching and beautiful.

Grail said:
I wonder what the story is with that noble?

I'm wondering about that too.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
She's so cute on all the happy smiley faces she makes. Quite the process to heal Guts, using the plant and her magic to make it work. She seems very happy to finally be able to talk to someone, depending if she says how long she has been there. Seems like the noble has a job for Guts, maybe something to do with the picture that noble was looking at.

jackson_hurley

I wonder if Guts is gonna try to replant (can i say replant?) the plant somewhere Else when he gets out of there? Very excited to read what they are saying in this sad episode.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
I wonder if Guts is gonna try to replant (can i say replant?) the plant somewhere Else when he gets out of there?

You can say "replant", and yeah, it's the first thing I thought of.

Top Bottom