Episode 329

Her different faces and mannerisms are too cute. The squeeze face is there on both Guts and Chich through the episode, nice coincidence. You cannot help but chuckle or crack up t Chich's many mannerisms while reading it even if it's without the English text. Are we going to hear a new podcast this weekend guys?

Quite interesting story. I can't wait to see the conclusion of these 3 episodes.
BTW I think humans could easily see elves those time considering the first meeting of Guts and Puck. But Guts was the first one to see chichi? Isn't it something inconsistent, Miura san? ^^

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I think only people highly under the influence of the church or those living in the big city couldn't see elves. Mercenaries living out in the wild mostly or people in small towns could see them. Judeau saw Puck didn't he? So did Rickert, although that was after the apostles attacked the Band.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
ilj said:
Quite interesting story. I can't wait to see the conclusion of these 3 episodes.
BTW I think humans could easily see elves those time considering the first meeting of Guts and Puck. But Guts was the first one to see chichi? Isn't it something inconsistent, Miura san? ^^

You are also forgetting that at the time guts met Puck the eclipse had already happened and that contributed to see the elves and the evil spirits. And with this episode reinforces that Guts was already able to see elves even before the worlds started to merge.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Are we going to hear a new podcast this weekend guys?

We'll probably record on Monday this time. Busy week-end.

ilj said:

It's not that clear cut, especially since it's been established that elves were getting rarer and rarer before the worlds were merged. It's perfectly consistent if the people detained in the cell were from a predominantly human area or simply didn't believe in "fairy tales" and refused to acknowledge the supernatural.

Anyways, Guts actually doubts what he is seeing at first. He thinks Chich is an illusion, a manifestation of his weakness. After making sure she's real, he tells her how he saw many flowers like hers on the way to the castle, and that if he can get out he'll bring her there (which delights her to no end, she literally squeals). Oh and she calls him "Guts-ningen", which I find adorable ("ningen" means "human").

As for the noble, his son's a weakling about to go into his first battle, so he plans to have Guts fight him in a wounded and weakened state to give the guy some confidence. Now that Chich's healed him though it looks like things won't go so smoothly. :iva:

Anyhow, this little story really strongly centers around the concept of companionship. The first episode had Martino tell Guts about it and how some day he'd meet true friends worth fighting for, and here both his relationship with Chich and her eagerness to be together with more of her kind put this forward as well.

These past two episodes... wow. It feels like Miura, by returning to his roots like this... I don't know what I'm trying to express. It's powerful storytelling. For me, personally, these last two episodes are powerfully re-affirming his genius - and I don't use 'genius' lightly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
For me, personally, these last two episodes are powerfully re-affirming his genius - and I don't use 'genius' lightly.

And it's only the beginning. Just wait till we're in Elfhelm. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
This is probably going to be my favorite episode for a while. :judo:
Yeah, I started the transcription tonight. And while I'm no translator, the bits that I'm picking up on just with a basic understanding of Japanese are ... well, it's a great episode, folks. These past two pages are a testament to how amazingly economical Miura is—how much he can accomplish in just a few pages with a new character :judo:/ :isidro:

It's really making me wonder how Chich's power and association with the flower will tie in to the King of the Elves, and what he may do for Casca. But it's not just that.

Guts had a close, if brief, connection with an elf prior to Puck. This sheds a new light on Guts' thoughts and feelings about Puck, not only in the beginning of their relationship, but also throughout it, even up to now. It's making me think back on the times that Puck has saved Guts' life, and what must have been running through Guts' mind. No doubt he's reflected on Chich before, and how that ended with her. I'll bet he was concerned for Puck. He obviously cares a lot about him, and it makes me think it could be a foreshadowing about things that might happen in Elfhelm... But I sure hope not! :sad:

Great episode, as always. Thanks!!!! :guts:
Reading through the last two episodes and their throwback at the Golden Age-era Berserk has gotten me thinking. Since Studio 4°C has cut out Guts' childhood from the first Golden Age film, is it entirely possible that they did so because they're planning to make a separate film at some point in the future about Guts' early, pre-Band of the Hawk years? A film based upon the episodes Golden Age (1) through first half of Golden Age (3) (page 85 in the manga), and also incorporating the events from episodes 328 - 330? I think that it might be something worth talking about on the next SkullKast!! :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rodrigo said:
I think that it might be something worth talking about on the next SkullKast!! :SK:
I don't think what you propose sounds likely at all.

One more thing about this episode guys, I don't think we've seen the last of Chich. Plants are often resilient. I imagine that if Guts finds a way to return the flower to the grove, we may see one last glimmer of Chich restored, or in the process of healing. Just a hunch.

Walter said:
One more thing about this episode guys, I don't think we've seen the last of Chich. Plants are often resilient. I imagine that if Guts finds a way to return the flower to the grove, we may see one last glimmer of Chich restored, or in the process of healing. Just a hunch.

I definitely would like to see the same, but something has me feeling otherwise. Doesn't guts say he doesn't like elves because they're weak? Wouldn't chich being restored or healing contradict that idea that guts has in his head?
Or maybe youre right, and she does start to heal, however the fact that she was weakened so much leaves guts with a feeling of guilt (for lack of a better term) and it turns into a form of resentment (again, term-lacking) leaving him with negative (last time, lack of better term, promise :ganishka:) emotions towards elves

Just spit balling. :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
Just spit balling. :???:
Could be as simple a thing as he plants her, but leaves before he sees that she's begun to be restored. It could be something shown only to the reader.

Anyway, here's hoping.

Walter said:
Could be as simple a thing as he plants her, but leaves before he sees that she's begun to be restored. It could be something shown only to the reader.

Anyway, here's hoping.

Cheers to that.

Funny thought: Say Chich does heal, unbeknownst to Guts, and finds her way back to Elfhelm. How great would it be if there was a scene where she greets Guts (and the rest of the gang) once they reach Elfhelm and we see a shocked/happy response from Guts? Fingers crossed for something like that, even if that is a farfetched idea :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Chaos said:
Funny thought: Say Chich does heal, unbeknownst to Guts, and finds her way back to Elfhelm.
She's chained to her flower though. But I think there could be enough of the sentiment you're looking for if Guts encounters elves similar to Chich in Elfhelm.

Walter said:
She's chained to her flower though. But I think there could be enough of the sentiment you're looking for if Guts encounters elves similar to Chich in Elfhelm.

Oh right. A duh on my part.

Here's to hoping for that, then :slan:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rodrigo said:
Since Studio 4°C has cut out Guts' childhood from the first Golden Age film, is it entirely possible that they did so because they're planning to make a separate film at some point in the future about Guts' early, pre-Band of the Hawk years?

I really don't think so.

Walter said:

Agreed, I've been thinking along the same lines, down to the possibility of restoration without him knowing. I can even see the panel in my head, her waving goodbye as he walks away in the distance... One can hope! Although... She did tell him that she'd die if the flower lost all of its leaves...

To think, in the episode she tells Guts that she's "Chich" because that's what a rat called her... Speaking of which, she thanked Guts for killing the rat in the previous episode, as it was nibbling apparently at her leaves.

Guts isn't the first one she heals either, she's taken care of a wounded bird before. Oh and the noble's a viscount, if anyone cares.

puella

Berserk forever
Guts is supposed to be an easy prey for the "good son" of the viscount before he goes into his first battle. But I think he will actually have his first and last battle with Guts where he won't even wield his sword and ends up being taken hostage. :iva:

I think this flashback is not just about companionship but also fatherhood, which is big complex for young (or adult) Guts. When Guts says "stupid parent", the viscount replies "yes, you're right."

This episode also raises a question - with the introduction of Chich, can we say with certainty that she is in fact the first non-human creature Guts ever encounters? Not Zodd, but Chich.

Gambino's dog came before her, but I know that's not what you meant :troll:

As far as saying with any certainty, given what we've seen it does appear that way, however all we need is an even earlier flash back to be introduced to dethrone Chich from 1st place.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rodrigo said:
This episode also raises a question - with the introduction of Chich, can we say with certainty that she is in fact the first non-human creature Guts ever encounters? Not Zodd, but Chich.
It's not the first time Guts encountered an Elf. He used to have them as a late-night snack.

203.jpg

Top Bottom