Berserk house of a 1000 manga impressions

just a link that was shared by the facebook group for the berserk films just some impressions on the manga overall a good read I think(some spoilers)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2012-06-21

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's a pretty bad article. Filled with blatant inaccuracies, ridiculous shortcuts in summarizing the story, and unsavory opinions. The guy comes across as being rather pretentious as well.

I guess the repeated mentions of "Game of Thrones" (the author doesn't bother with the book series' actual title) say it all, in a way. Regrettable.

Rape this rape that, that's really all I got from this article. He wrote it like someone told him the whole series, not like he'd actually read it. Uggg honestly these kinda of articles spoil/drive people away from Berserk, not draw them to it.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
That article goes down hill pretty much after the first paragraph. It's sad that there'll probably been quite a few people that read that article and think Berserk is a shallow story being used as an excuse to depict rape scenes.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I think it's hilarious how defensive I get about Berserk. After all, it's pretty much my favorite thing.

Maybe 5 years ago, this article would have been an interesting perspective. Now, all I think when I see it is, "NO. WRONG. WRONG. GOD SHUT UP."

I want to give the guy a break, but he's talking shit about Berserk. The only thing I can give him is, "Well, he's just not as crazy about this series as I am. So what?"

Yeah, but he's talking shit about Berserk and his facts aren't there. Haha, I got genuinely offended reading this. It's great being a fan.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Anytime I read about Berserk at another site, there will undoubtedly be this comment

"maybe he would finish faster if he put IdolMasters down. LULZ!!!"

What did Miura actually say about that game?

"Basically, Berserk transforms from sword and sorcery to high fantasy." ~ ANN Article

I never understood this outlook on the series. It reminds me of how some people say how they hate anything after the golden age arc because it becomes too fantasy-ish. The series always had these elements though even from the beginning in volume 1.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tama chan said:
"Basically, Berserk transforms from sword and sorcery to high fantasy." ~ ANN Article

I never understood this outlook on the series. It reminds me of how some people say how they hate anything after the golden age arc because it becomes too fantasy-ish. The series always had these elements though even from the beginning in volume 1.

Using these terms of "Sword & Sorcery" and "High Fantasy" is a failing in and of itself. Those aren't clearly defined genres (or subgenres, or sub-subgenres) at all, they're very vague categories that weren't even meant to be used together to discriminate between different types of stories.

Berserk simply is Fantasy, in almost every way that Fantasy in general can be described. Trying to shoehorn it into an awkward subgenre is futile.

Top Bottom