Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 16

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 16: http://skullknight.net/podcast/Podcast16.mp3

We talk about Berserk Episode 329 and how this flashback may tie into the big picture ahead for the series. Then we dive into the bad reviews Berserk's second movie has been getting. Topping things off, we give our impressions on Prometheus—the good, the bad and the ugly.

Podcast Notes:
0:00:19 Intro/Berserk Episode 329
0:29:00 Movie 2 Discussion
0:42:33 Prometheus Discussion
1:22:39 Outtakes 1 (from after the recording)
1:47:40 Outtakes 2 (cut from very beginning)

Cool podcast, thanks guys for the coverage on the new Berserk episode.

On the look of Deacon, I was a little disappointed. With the mouth though, I like how it wholly extends outward like a goblin shark. Having him show up in the end was pointless with the way it ended. I don't know if the extended cut has what's depicted in the art-book - where we're shown the Deacon walking up a cliff towards a Derelict ship. I would've been OK if they cut with the wiggling Engineer right before the Deacon bursts out. My Mom called me after watching the movie and she hated it. I asked her why and she said the ending was stupid and I had to explain to her that it's a setup for a sequel, but she had other gripes about it. My Dad didn't like a few things, I think more to do with the Engineer and/ their intent to kill us. We decided to talk about it after we both re-watched it heh, can't wait.

Speaking of crepe's - try a 'dosa' which's staple in Southern Indian cuisine. It'll usually come with 2 sauces - one lentil based called sambhar and the other's coconut based. There're different kinds, like a Masala Dosa will come with a filling of cooked potatoes.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
You guys should change the name of this podcast to "The Negative Nancy Podcast!"

Juuust kidding. :troll:

I really liked your discussion about the new Berserk episode. I'm liking your predictions about the one to follow it as well. You guys really nailed it with the movie discussion. I really wish I could say I look forward to the other 2 movies.

I enjoyed Prometheus and I also enjoyed you guys explaining why I'm wrong for enjoying it. LOL! (I haven't watched any of the other Alien movies)

Looking forward to the next podcast.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gobolatula said:
I enjoyed Prometheus and I also enjoyed you guys explaining why I'm wrong for enjoying it. LOL! (I haven't watched any of the other Alien movies)

When I hear people say that I look at them like a damn Betamax. Like "damn they still make you"?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Oburi said:
When I hear people say that I look at them like a damn Betamax. Like "damn they still make you"?
I get that a lot. There's a fuckload of "essential movies" that I just haven't bothered watching yet.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Cool podcast, thanks guys for the coverage on the new Berserk episode.
Man, you guys absorb these things fast! We recorded it less than 10 hours ago. Not complaining, I'm just... impressed! I tend to spread my favorite podcasts throughout the week, so I'll always have something to listen to when I'm doing something boring like cleaning house, or doing dishes.

Gobolatula said:
You guys should change the name of this podcast to "The Negative Nancy Podcast!"
I didn't think we were we overly negative this episode. Were we? I thought the Prometheus discussion was pretty balanced. Griff liked it, with reservations. I didn't like it, and Aaz was sort of in the middle (and understandably half asleep). That's pretty fair.

Nah, I understand some people enjoy it. It's that first Berserk movie that I don't understand when people say they love it. :carcus:

You should see Alien and Aliens, then stop.

Looking forward to the next podcast.
Me too, as always. Like I've said before, if we had enough good material to run with, and had the schedule for it, I'd record one a day.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Congratulations on the 200K posts! :ubik:

Predictions on episodoe 330, I'm thinking of Guts defeating that noble's son,but not killing him. And if it's in front of an audience or a commander he gets picked up to fight in the actual battle. One more question. Are these memories Guts is reflecting on after getting out of the Sea God?

P.S. How were the "creepies" Aaz?

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Great podcast! However, (man I hate being this guy) the iTunes ep. 16 has 15's audio. Heads up.

And sadly, the Tennessee accent/pronunciation was very accurate, and I'm sure it applies to most of the southern states and their...dialect. I'm reminded of one of my classmates in high school trying to introduce himself in French I: "Bawn-jor, gem-a-pell Steven."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi Zeta said:
Great podcast! However, (man I hate being this guy) the iTunes ep. 16 has 15's audio. Heads up.
Thanks. Fixed.

And sadly, the Tennessee accent/pronunciation was very accurate, and I'm sure it applies to most of the southern states and their...dialect. I'm reminded of one of my classmates in high school trying to introduce himself in French I: "Bawn-jor, gem-a-pell Steven."
I'm actually not very good at emulating a Southern accent, even though I was raised in Georgia, and lived 5 years in Tennessee. But I can fake it to a certain extent. My wife on the other hand is amazing at it, since she grew up in a much more redneck area than I did.

Great podcast guys! As always..

On the prometheus note, I have to say I was also disappointing. Charlize Theron's acting in particular came off very artificial. I also didn't like how it was more or less a rehash of the same scenes from Alien, nothing new or original in the same dramatic manner in which we saw in the original masterpiece. Alien was really revolutionary in how gritty it was, science fiction at the time was more or less defined by movies like "Star Wars" and "Close encounters of the third kind"; Alien really went above and beyond raising the bar, introducing the alien life cycle in all it's savage glory. Prometheus really falls short in those terms, and is more a film that cashes in on those old ideas.

I don't think there was adequate character development as well, when the crew of the prometheus crash into the engineer ship, I can't say it was really endearing.

I thought it was a ok/good science fiction flick (not saying much with the bar being so low for sci-fi), I do think they can make decent to good sequels if they approach it from the view of the harry potter series in terms of pacing + good ideas. That franchise did ok, even with the first film being caca (in my opinion) with shitty CGI. The funny thing is that, in the lead up to the movie, the fans had better ideas, just trying to decifer the plot. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No podcast yesterday for a variety of reasons:
1) New Berserk episode is this Friday, no need to record before that
2) I was out of the state, traveling with my wife

But we will be recording this Sunday to talk about Ep 330 and the end of Guts' flashback. Do you guys have any questions, Berserk-related or otherwise, that we could answer on the show?

I apologize in advance if this already has been discussed in the forum. But since there is still no translation of ep 229 available, I wanted to ask - upon meeting Chich, does Guts acknowledge her as a supernatural being (and chronologically, the first one that he's ever encountered), or does he treat her as hallucinatory figment of his imagination?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rodrigo said:
I apologize in advance if this already has been discussed in the forum. But since there is still no translation of ep 229 available, I wanted to ask - upon meeting Chich, does Guts acknowledge her as a supernatural being (and chronologically, the first one that he's ever encountered), or does he treat her as hallucinatory figment of his imagination?
He sort of does both. We can talk about it more on the show though. Thanks for the question.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Here's my question How surprised were you admins to find out that Puck wasn't the first elf Guts encountered? I just think it's fascinating how much detailed information we get from Guts' life. It's like we have seen all those details that really matter to root for him even more. It's great how the story began with the black swordsman and you wonder how this guy is the way he is, and after all this volumes, I"m amazed how much details Miura has made about Guts, and also other characters. :guts:

What's your favorite movie genre? Possibly name-drop a few movies you enjoy from that genre maybe?

Weakest Pixar movie according to you is?

If possible, the 3 questions I asked in Episode 12's topic.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
What's your favorite movie genre? Possibly name-drop a few movies you enjoy from that genre maybe?

Weakest Pixar movie according to you is?
Thanks!
If possible, the 3 questions I asked in Episode 12's topic.
Whoops... sorry we missed those. Will get to them this episode.

If you had the chance to head the Berserk Saga Project from the beginning, what would've you done differently? ("Everything" is not an answer) What would've been cut out? What would've been kept? Characters? Scenes? Themes? etc.

With Total Recall and a host of other movies being remade or used as sequel's/prequel's, what movies would you like to see remade? And what ones do you want Hollywood to stay the hell away from?

As it pertains to Berserk, how do you feel about the knowledge of the Skull Knight.net's members? Impressed? Annoyed?

Top Bottom