Sammoniac's Volume 1 Recoloring

Sammoniac

You taffers!
I thought about coloring Volume 1, just to see how the old art would look like in full color (it would take a lot of time, but I'm really patient lol). Here's page 1 !

berserkv1p8.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Looking good Sammoniac! It always brings a smile to my face to see older pages getting some love, and what could be better than the opening? :guts: I think your use of colors actually highlight the "retro" quality, which I like. Matching up the saturated reds, greens and oranges with the desaturated flesh/hair colors was a good choice.

It feels like you like making bold color choices, which I can appreciate. Your coloring of the merrow page is a good example. My only criticism with that one, however, would be to make Guts's skintone a little less pinkish, and closer to his skintone in your latest color. Otherwise, I think you're off to a great start. :serpico:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I'm gonna echo Grail on the choice in colors giving it a retro look. I immediately thought the same thing as I scrolled down the page. Reminds me of american comics in the 40's and 50's. Very cool. I'd like to see more!

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Page 2 is ready! In order to attempt coloring the full 1st volume, I have to go relatively fast, so please understand the occasional lack of detailed shading. Enjoy!

berserkv1p9.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I really like it. The subdued colors look great, and I appreciate that you went with a sort of defined color palette for the creature. It comes across as looking natural despite the supernatural element, so good work. Looking forward to seeing how far you take this.

I think the ink texture in this scene is helping you out a lot, so I'm wondering how you'll approach the scenes that don't use the same ink technique.

Like Grail said, these have a retro vibe. I'm unsure that you're approaching it that way intentionally, given that your colorization of the merrows has the same vibe to me. But either way it works!

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Thank you Walter, it encourages me to have such nice comments from you. The retro look is what I wanted to do for this volume, and I happen to like bold colors too. Here's page 3..!

berserkv1p10.jpg

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Proj2501 said:
My, my. Coloring the entire first volume, eh? Hmm. I'll be watching this closely...

It will take quite some time, more than a year for sure, but I really enjoy it. It makes me practice color techniques and Photoshop (I lack experience in both). Working on Miura's early art is also really interesting because it seems more of a challenge to me to bring this old stuff to life with colors. I don't know if I'll finish this project, but I surely hope it may inspire some people to try coloring, or better yet to do entire volumes! Imagine the whole manga series in color...that would be way better (and faithful) than any anime project... :carcus:

I concur this would be an amazing feat. Realistically actually finishing the whole volume seems nothing short of a miracle, but don't let this sort of talk discourage you, its Amazing what you have put out in just a short time already. :ubik:

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Jaze1618 said:
I concur this would be an amazing feat. Realistically actually finishing the whole volume seems nothing short of a miracle, but don't let this sort of talk discourage you, its Amazing what you have put out in just a short time already. :ubik:

Well, presently in my life I have time to invest in this. I have to admit that its pretty long, but I'm getting more used to my tools with every page, so I slowly gain speed. Finishing the volume would be quite a task indeed! I'm not sure I'll even come close, but anyways.. :guts:

berserkv1p13.jpg

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Very cool, but volume 1 is pretty ambitious and ends on a cliffhanger, begging the question: what about volume2!?

I'd be happy with just original The Black Swordsman episode, then go where you want go from there.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Griffith said:
I'd be happy with just original The Black Swordsman episode, then go where you want go from there.

That sounds like a more realistic approach. 95 pages or so surely seems more feasible. Challenge accepted! :femto:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cool stuff, Samm!

I think you should start pacing yourself though. Speaking as a kindred spirit who often gets tangled up in wanting to keep moving with a project once I've found my groove, I've also experienced burnout after doing the same repetitive task over and over. I know that can happen with Photoshop projects, and I just want you to see you reach your goal!

Another piece of friendly advice is that while so far you've managed to keep the color palette realistically bland, given the scenario, I think the amount of different colors on display in that panel with the captured girls is a little too vibrant. One or two of them would probably have the same colored cloak, I imagine. I understand the desire to make the characters look distinct by giving them different colors, but you have to weigh that function with the realistic aspects that people probably don't have that many different colored cloaks. It's in sharp contrast to the panel in the bar displaying a very deliberately limited color palette. That's good work. Just something to keep in mind!

Please keep it up (at a sustainable pace)!

Wow! The whole first volume.

After this volume 2 and maybe even 3? I guess we'll see.
I really like the colors you choose, so keep up the good work!

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Walter said:
I think you should start pacing yourself though. Speaking as a kindred spirit who often gets tangled up in wanting to keep moving with a project once I've found my groove, I've also experienced burnout after doing the same repetitive task over and over. I know that can happen with Photoshop projects, and I just want you to see you reach your goal!

I know what you're taking about and thanks for your concern, but don't worry, I'm used to working hard on projects like that. I'm also a musician, and I have my own manga project. I won't hesitate to take breaks if I feel like it, like Miura does once in a while.

Walter said:
Another piece of friendly advice is that while so far you've managed to keep the color palette realistically bland, given the scenario, I think the amount of different colors on display in that panel with the captured girls is a little too vibrant. One or two of them would probably have the same colored cloak, I imagine.

Actually I told myself the same thing, but was hesitant to change the colors. I guess I got carried away with all these colors! I will fix this soon. And thank you Walter for the constructive comments, I really want to have more of these, I learn a lot from them.

On a side note, I want to thank everybody for the encouragements! I won't let you guys down :serpico:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Nice to see you keeping up with the updates, Sam! The only thing sticking out to me in this piece is that everything seems surprisingly well-lit. I always got the feeling that the inn in this scene was kinda dark and dingy, but that's just me. Dealing with light sources will forever prove to be a struggle. :ganishka:

Top Bottom