Silent Hill : Revelation

H

hellrasinbrasin

silenthill.photo1_-1024x576.jpg

Heather Mason (Adelaide Clemens) and her father (Sean Bean) have been on the run, always one step ahead of dangerous forces that she doesn’t fully understand. Now on the eve of her 18th birthday, plagued by horrific nightmares and the disappearance of her father, Heather discovers she’s not who she thinks she is. The revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her forever.

Written and directed by Michael J. Bassett, and produced by Samuel Hadida, SILENT HILL: REVELATION 3D is based on the survival horror video game Silent Hill 3 and a sequel to the horror film Silent Hill, which is an adaptation of the video game of the same name.

Starring Adelaide Clemens, Sean Bean, Kit Harington (“Game of Thrones”), Radha Mitchell, Deborah Kara Unger, Carrie-Ann Moss, Malcolm McDowell, Martin Donovan, Heather Marks.

SHR Comic Con 2012 Clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ElvX2aizcl0#!

Was thinking about going to Horror Nights at Universal Orlando this year.. they've got the Silent Hill experience coming there this year. Maybe there will be some promos for the movie.

Well they got a decent Heather look going on. But thats asking the bare minimum from a video game movie adaption. If the movie gets a R rating, I'll get my hopes up.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I only played the first Silent Hill, so I haven't followed much since. However, I have to say that the film wasn't horrible per say. I'll probably give this one a shot.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Irony: Somehow this movie masterfully captures the setting and elements that made Silent Hill 1 and 2 so memorable. New Silent Hill games are made to resemble the new movie. :troll:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Silent Hill 2 is one of the BEST games of all time.

The movie was ok, way better than the Resident Evil ones.

NightCrawler said:
Silent Hill 2 is one of the BEST games of all time.

The movie was ok, way better than the Resident Evil ones.

Agreed, but then again throw a rock and you'll hit a better movie.

Accidentally bought a used Uwe Boll movie the other day. I really need to watch out more for that guy. :femto:

H

hellrasinbrasin

I love the trailer. Come on October its time to raise your dead.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just wanted to say that yall should avoid this like the plague. Worst movie I've seen in ... I don't even know, maybe ever. Not one redeeming quality. Everything is bad. Not only does it not work as a Silent Hill movie, but it doesn't even work as a movie at all. Constant flashbacks, annoying visions that ruin any flow the movie had and needless explanations by characters that only make it more complicated than it needs to be. Also the acting is unbearable. The American accents are terrible from the main cast and the dialog is just cringworthy. There's no mystery, suspense, atmosphere. Just trash.

Not worth wasting the brain cells to even knock this piece of crap any more.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
The funny part about that post is you could swap in any recent Silent Hill game instead of the movie and it'd make just as much sense. :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
MrWeatherby said:
The funny part about that post is you could swap in any recent Silent Hill game instead of the movie and it'd make just as much sense. :troll:

Ehhhh. Dude believe me, while the new games a ain't shit to the old ones, I'd still play them for an eternity in hell before sit through this movie again.

But then again I'm one of the few that really liked Downpour. I almost played the whole thing. :troll:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Looking back at it, Silent Hill 2 was the last (maybe even the only) great Silent Hill game. Immediately after that, the series just became cliche riddled and mediocre.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Looking back at it, Silent Hill 2 was the last (maybe even the only) great Silent Hill game. Immediately after that, the series just became cliche riddled and mediocre.

I've never played 3, but I've heard good things about it. Although I also hear it's not as good as 2, and that doesn't really surprise me. I always figured The Room was about where things started going off the rails, and then after that it became an irredeemable clusterfuck.

MrWeatherby said:
I've never played 3, but I've heard good things about it. Although I also hear it's not as good as 2, and that doesn't really surprise me. I always figured The Room was about where things started going off the rails, and then after that it became an irredeemable clusterfuck.

Hey I enjoyed The Room =S. It became a clusterfuck because western developers got a hold of it, and Yamaoka stopped doing the music for some of the most recent entries.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
The more I think about it the more I am fully convinced that the entire series, with the exception of Silent Hill 2, is just mediocre.

MrWeatherby said:

frankencowx said:
Hey I enjoyed The Room =S. It became a clusterfuck because western developers got a hold of it, and Yamaoka stopped doing the music for some of the most recent entries.

I wouldn’t start blaming the Western Developers, they were given a franchise that was already doomed to fail since the release of Silent Hill 3. The problem is that the original developers didn’t understand what they had and unknowingly butchered the game. The real strength for the Silent Hill franchise is the actual town (History, Locations: Real and Other worlds), how the characters interact with the town, and monsters. Silent Hill 3 brought back the Other World from the first Silent Hill and recycled the nurses from Silent Hill 2 (This is ignoring the fact some of the creatures seem like they are trying to resemble Pyramid Head). Silent Hill 3, however, also did a lot of things right with regard to the story, plot, and characters. The problem with Silent Hill 3 is it set the direction where all the other games will follow.

Also about bashing Western Developers keep in mind: Silent Hill 4: The Room (Starring Tommy Wiseau) had a lot of problems, mostly from trying to be innovative. The game felt incomplete and rushed which caused the game to suffer in ratings (Both Western Developed games Shattered Memories (79, 77) and Origins (78) rated higher than Japanese Developed Silent Hill 4: The Room (76) according to Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/search/game/Silent+Hill+/results?sort=score ).

What also didn’t really help is the Christopher Gans film (his film somehow transcends the Resident Evil films in failing to live up to the source material). The film takes a lot of elements straight from the first three games and mixes them together, creating a sort of Frankenstein’s Creature. The problem with the Gans’ film reflects exactly what is wrong with the franchise, instead of trying to become a standalone film with a focus on Silent Hill it turned into this intertextualized mess which wanted to reference Silent Hills 1, 2, & 3. Oddly enough, unlike the Resident Evil games, the Silent Hill franchise tried to resemble the film. Homecoming is basically an insult to the entire Silent Hill franchise considering it is more a homage to the Christopher Gans film than to the original source material.

The thing to keep in mind about all of that mess is that it originally did start with Silent Hill 3, but it only became really noticeable with the later games (and the movie). Silent Hill’s biggest problem is its inability to stop recycling the same material and failing to focus on the town of Silent Hill. Instead of focusing on really expanding on Silent Hill the developers kept going back to using the series’ clichés.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Your right Bob. That's actually why I thought Downpour wasn't that bad. It got it right in terms of not trying to incorporate things from other games like pyramid head. The main reason I can't really reccomend it to anyone is because of how glitchy it is. Literally could not finish quests because of glitches and on top of that the game is so choppy with a lot of freezing, making it impossible to play for someone like me who can't stand that shit.

Yeah good explanation, Bob. One game I almost liked as much as the old ones though, was Shattered Memories. You gotta admit theres some high quality creativity there, especially gameplay wise, AND even with the thought that its a kind of an alternate approach to the very firts game, unlike what most poeple seem to do, I don't diss either of them, they're both epic for their own reasons, and to me they're so far apart that you wouldn't even think of comparing them, I just like the idea that they put a little psychology twist into it. If you havent already, I really suggest playing it. And perhaps the most beneficial part is that Yamaoka is still on the team here, none of the games would've made it without him. (Btw did anyone else nerd out and get the Silent Hill Sounds Box? :carcus:)

MrWeatherby said:
I'm just gonna drop this here cause fuck it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEHuzeOr9M

That's a pretty badass series of videos. Thanks for posting it. Even if you don't like the games but are curious, I highly recommend giving the first four parts of the series (that deal with the first three games) a viewing. They do an amazing job at explaining the story. And it's cool that they got to the bottom of what the cult should be called. (
I was never a big fan of the name The Order™.
)

Also, the video for the comics (part 6) and some parts of the second part of part 5 (jfc...) really had me laughing. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The more I think about it the more I am fully convinced that the entire series, with the exception of Silent Hill 2, is just mediocre.

I think the first game is the best on account of what it did. SH2 was nice, but I find it overrated compared to SH1.

Top Bottom