Silent Hill : Revelation

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
I think the first game is the best on account of what it did. SH2 was nice, but I find it overrated compared to SH1.

You are right; I am being unfair to SH1. It did do a lot by taking different horror film concepts and combine them into a single game (cults, fallen gods, possession, scary monsters, accidental summoning of horrors). SH2, however, did a lot with regards to the town. SH2 really gave the town a life and character of its own, something that SH1 didn't do as much. As I said before the problem with the series has been every game from SH3 and on.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well I agree that SH2 was an amazing game, for one thing because it introduced a memorable antagonist (PH), but I like SH1 on merit of making the town itself the enemy. Transforming a hardware limitation (clipping) into a brilliant feature (the oppressing fog), introducing all the concepts (radio noise warning of nearby enemies), featuring different interpretations for what's going on (cult, drugs, evil gods, aliens...) and just having a lot of awesome scenes. To this day, one of the craziest gaming moments I ever experienced was running on the deserted highway and have it morph into the Otherworld. SH2 built on that and was more refined in every way, but I have a fondness for the one by which it all began.

^Well said. Explains pretty good why I´ve always had such a hard time to decide on a definite #1.

Also, I skimmed through the vid supposedly about the comics but it didnt look like they mentioned The Silent Hill Hunger. This is imo the best/only good enough comic adaptation of the franchise. It really captures that chilling Silent Hill atmosphere. Sadly its also the only one that didnt get translated in book format (fuckin figures), but it was released for on the "Silent Hill Experience" for the PSP. I found it on YT though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGiL8T9diQ For some reason its dedived into several parts.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Skeleton the Flying Ace said:
That's a pretty badass series of videos. Thanks for posting it. Even if you don't like the games but are curious, I highly recommend giving the first four parts of the series (that deal with the first three games) a viewing. They do an amazing job at explaining the story. And it's cool that they got to the bottom of what the cult should be called. (
I was never a big fan of the name The Order™.
)

Also, the video for the comics (part 6) and some parts of the second part of part 5 (jfc...) really had me laughing. :ganishka:

The best ones are the last few videos that cover the HD Collection. I knew those things blew, but I didn't really understand to what extent until I watched those. It's pretty baffling that thing ever made it to retail.

So the TRSHE guys came out with a rough review of the film. It's pretty good. A little dull at first, but it gets funnier as it goes on. Just listening to them try to explain the plot is worth it, imo. So if you have an hour and eighteen minutes to kill, check it out. Or if you just have twelve minutes to kill then go to the 1:04:57 mark and watch it to the end. It had me rolling because it's literally the Silent Hill version of the Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the Supreme Ruler [Review] thread. :ganishka:

Link. (I don't know if I need to warn that there's spoilers... but there's spoilers so, y'know, obviously don't watch the review if you don't want the movie spoiled.)

I enjoyed the first film, and while it's not perfect I thought it was the best video game to Hollywood movie adaption I'd seen at the time. I liked the director and how he really used the atmosphere from the video games, and that slow burn through out the movie to reallly get you into that creepy mood. I was looking forward to the sequel but I have to say I was really disappointed. Through out the entire thing it was all quick jump scares, the creatures weren't used effectively and they create characters just to be killed off for no reason. Maybe it just wasn't for me, but I thought they did a much better job in 1.

Top Bottom