The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 DVD/Blu-Ray

H

hellrasinbrasin

81%2BE0u4RJPL._AA1500_.jpg

91FEvcScgrL._AA1500_.jpg

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 DVD/Blu-Ray Release Date is September 25th, 2012

Limited Theatrical Run October 23, 2012 * Update

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

For anyone interested MTV Geek has the trailer http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/820585/exclusive-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1-trailer.jhtml#id=1690758 looks pretty good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Probably deserves its own thread of some sort eventually, but for now:

mazinken said:
For anyone interested MTV Geek has the trailer http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/820585/exclusive-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1-trailer.jhtml#id=1690758 looks pretty good.
Looks good. They're even framing the shots after the comic, which is a respectful touch, even though it's not totally necessary. However, I don't think the gritty style of the comics is conveyed by the clean lines of this animation. I guess that comes with the territory when you have the Batman: TAS guys on board.

So I'm excited, but not overwhelmed. Like Berserk, I'm perfectly happy with The Dark Knight Returns as a comic (one of my all-time favorites, btw), and I really don't feel an adaptation of it is necessary.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop

Walter said:
Probably deserves its own thread of some sort eventually, but for now:
Looks good. They're even framing the shots after the comic, which is a respectful touch, even though it's not totally necessary. However, I don't think the gritty style of the comics is conveyed by the clean lines of this animation. I guess that comes with the territory when you have the Batman: TAS guys on board.

So I'm excited, but not overwhelmed. Like Berserk, I'm perfectly happy with The Dark Knight Returns as a comic (one of my all-time favorites, btw), and I really don't feel an adaptation of it is necessary.

I thought the homage in the animated series did enough justice for the comic. I don't think it'll be better than that one, honestly.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Walter said:
Probably deserves its own thread of some sort eventually, but for now: Looks good. They're even framing the shots after the comic, which is a respectful touch, even though it's not totally necessary. However, I don't think the gritty style of the comics is conveyed by the clean lines of this animation. I guess that comes with the territory when you have the Batman: TAS guys on board.

I guess that this is the collective view point in the batman community in reguards to The Dark Knight Returns film. Until we all have both Parts of the film to watch as a whole we won't know if it'll end up being a "Great/Good Film or a clusterfuck".

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop

hellrasinbrasin said:
I guess that this is the collective view point in the batman community in reguards to The Dark Knight Returns film. Until we all have both Parts of the film to watch as a whole we won't know if it'll end up being a "Great/Good Film or a clusterfuck".

Really? Are you sure about that? Judging from Peter Weller's flat performance, it's going to be a piece of shit and complete waste of time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

hellrasinbrasin said:
I guess that this is the collective view point in the batman community in reguards to The Dark Knight Returns film.
Is it? I haven't read anything about it. Just wrote my honest thoughts after watching that trailer. Guess I'm a bellweather :carcus:

Johnstantine said:
Really? Are you sure about that? Judging from Peter Weller's flat performance, it's going to be a piece of shit and complete waste of time.
I dunno about a piece of shit, but I agree that the voice work in particular stuck out to me in this trailer as pretty uninspired.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop

Walter said:
I dunno about a piece of shit, but I agree that the voice work in particular stuck out to me in this trailer as pretty uninspired.

Sorry, low blood sugar this morning.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Art style reminded me of the Berserk movies, but aside from that negative association it looked okay (I'm sure they'll be more faithful). My gripe is Peter Weller's Flatman voice. Maybe I just need to get used to it or hear it in context, but why didn't they just use everyone's favorite bat-voice, Kevin Conroy?

H

hellrasinbrasin

Griffith said:
Art style reminded me of the Berserk movies, but aside from that negative association it looked okay (I'm sure they'll be more faithful). My gripe is Peter Weller's Flatman voice. Maybe I just need to get used to it or hear it in context, but why didn't they just use everyone's favorite bat-voice, Kevin Conroy?

In answer to your question Griffith. I believe the reason why Conroy wasn't approached for this project is because he was already attached to another project at the time.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
hellrasinbrasin said:
In answer to your question Griffith. I believe the reason why Conroy wasn't approached for this project is because he was already attached to another project at the time.

DKR's iteration is completely different compared to Conroy's Batman. They needed someone with a more aged voice.

Why they chose Weller is beyond me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
I don't think the gritty style of the comics is conveyed by the clean lines of this animation.

Agreed, and that breaks it for me.

While I think Kevin is hand down the best voice actor for Batman this an older Batman and they should bring someone with deeper voice how about Christian Bale :) I am joking but really Ironside did a great work in that old episode http://youtube.com/watch?v=qRpY37QNlx8 I wouldn't mind using him but it is too late for wishful thinking.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Agreed, and that breaks it for me.

To be fair to the comic and any attempt like this, I don't think it can be duplicated (it's sort of ugly-beautiful, in many instances one could replace the word "gritty" with "shitty" and mean the same thing =). I think the real issue is...

Walter said:

This. However well done this is, is it necessary? It's a transcendent example of its form, so do we need to adapt every such work into something else (Coming Soon: "Mona Lisa" the movie!). I think all the Batman media it's inspired since; the movies, the animated series, the tone of the comics and effect on the character overall is a far greater tribute than trying to replicate it as something its not. I know the popular argument is it brings more people to the source material, but they should just be given that instead, and not some second-hand recreation. That actually bothers me more than just old fans like us enjoying it for whatever its worth.

Johnstantine said:
DKR's iteration is completely different compared to Conroy's Batman. They needed someone with a more aged voice.
mazinken said:
While I think Kevin is hand down the best voice actor for Batman this an older Batman and they should bring someone with deeper voice how about Christian Bale :) I am joking but really Ironside did a great work in that old episode http://youtube.com/watch?v=qRpY37QNlx8 I wouldn't mind using him but it is too late for wishful thinking.

Conroy's a voice actor, and older than Batman is here, I'm sure he could sound like old Batman as well as the standard variety. Anyway, Weller didn't sound so bad on the second listen. It's just the way he pronounces certain words that was tripping me up.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Looks better than the lackluster Year One adaption, so I'm cautiously optimistic. However, it does bug me that this is going to be split in two. Sure it might end up being long as shit, but it doesn't excuse the fact that they're cutting up what should be one thing into two and charging (presumably) 19 dollars for each. Hell for the same amount you can just buy the comic it's based on.

Also that cover doesn't really look like it's related to The Dark Knight Returns at all.

I'm sure he could sound like old Batman

Maybe you've heard of a little series called Batman Beyond?

Griffith

MrWeatherby said:
they're cutting up what should be one thing into two and charging (presumably) 19 dollars for each. Hell for the same amount you can just buy the comic it's based on.

Yep, it all comes back to that.

MrWeatherby said:
Maybe you've heard of a little series called Batman Beyond?

I meant he could sound appropriately heavy and grizzled for this, not quite the same objective as Beyond. Anyway, even if he couldn't, I feel like his iconic Bat-voice would have given instant credibility to the project and made the whole thing go down easier. We'll see if Weller's better for this specifically in the long run. I mean, he does sound kind of insane. That's a plus to me.

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 - Review -

... A decade has past since Gotham City has seen "The Batman" and in his absence Gotham has become a shell of what it once was just as Bruce himself has become a corpse limping along looking for a place to die. The news in the film is all propaganda designed to purposefully subvert the public against those who stand against the Institutions of society or crime. <I was concerned, how this would come across in the film; as the propaganda spewed by the TV is a critical part of The Dark Knight Returns. Thankfully there was no cause for concern as it comes across as disturbing and impersonal as it was in the book.> The sea of crime committed by The Mutant Gang and Harvey Dent's return to crime are the core reasons for his donning the cowl again.

<I liked Dent's retort of "At least both side match" because it brings up the fact that Dent's psychologically broken not externally and so by healing his body the medical community gave him a clean bill of health -- and giving him a Silver Dollar Coin didn't help anything either> The introduction of Carrie Kelly I thought was handled well she runs off to buy herself a Robin costume after she and her friend are saved by Batman and in fact proves herself right off the bat during Batmans invasion of The Mutants Territory. Just as Batman saved her life she does so for Batman by intervening before the Leader of the Mutants kills him.

<Which brings up the issue of "Never Again" after Jason Todds Death in "Batman: A Death in The Family" Batman is presented as never wanting to endanger a ward again in his war against crime yet here he clearly embraces this kid who has thrown herself into his world. I think that in his mind he can never replace Jason but there is a war going on and he needs soldiers> And that brings us to the ending of the 1st Act of the film... The Sons of The Batman have just emerged "The Mutant Gang" is no more. Gordon is retired leaving Batman on his own as he no longer has an alley in the GCPD. And The Joker wakes up.

[Final Thoughts]

<I think that the 2nd Act will deal with the larger scope of The Batman's resurfacing that and he has a small army he's leading won't sit well with everyone. The Joker certainlly is going to be addressed as well as what becomes of the GCPD and The Batman relationship now that Gordons out>

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 / Part 2
<TDKRP 1>

- Characters.....3/5
- Story.............3/5
- Music............4/5

Final Score for The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 ***/***** Cowls

Top Bottom