Guts & Farnese (Exclusive) mouldy?

Last week of April this year, I bought this statue 2nd hand from a seller on the board - Genome and it's condition was a indicated as 'never opened/ exposed'. I think it arrived at my office sometime in May and I just got around bringing the box home on Wednesday (I waited for a few other boxes to come in so I could grab a cab to transport em all in 1 shot). Anyway, here's what it looks like and the pictures aren't the best as they're off my cellphone -

4-3.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-5.jpg

I currently have it outside my glass cabinet so it isn't exposed to the other statues. But, does that look like some sort of mould? I'm too afraid to try and see if I could scrape it off since these statues are delicate. If it is mould, my only option is to re-paint it. The mechanical part of Guts' arm came broken, so I'll glue that back on. I don't know if this was caused by the fact that the statue was never unboxed. Any input/ advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Anyone experienced something similar before?

I guess this's another lesson learnt - always ask for pictures for the condition of the statue you're buying. I see cracks or scrapes on the ghosts and it's disheartening to see that I paid more than what it deserves.

Holy shit dude, that looks toxic. Try immersing it in boiling water for maybe a half hour, or cold bleach for the same amount of time, then pressure-blast that crap off. That does not look healthy to have around.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Looks like he left that on a curb and some dude drove by and splashed fuckin mud all over it. I'm sorry, man. That sucks.

Hey Incantation. That's horrrrrrible. I've never seen anything like it. However, I have a pretty good idea what happened...

I remember getting this statue back in 2007, when it was first released. Upon arrival, I opened it up to check it out, and I noticed it was wet! There was moisture everywhere. Inside the bag that wraps the statue, there were tiny little drops, like condensation. It was really bizarre. I immediately emailed AOW about it and they didn't have much of an answer about it. I told them that this is the 2nd time I received a statue directly from them that had moisture (I don't remember the other one that came wet but it was very minimal compared to this statue). Since then, I've never come across it.

So it appears that since this statue was never opened or exposed, the moisture eventually turned into mold. I don't doubt it one bit, that this is the reason why it looks the way it does.

In regards with what to do to handle the situation, I think you should definitely bring this up with Genome. It's not technically his fault, and he was truthful about never opening it, however, it's clearly not in new/mint condition.

Gluck.

Holy shit,
that´s very sad! never opened and broken hang and this white spot on statue o_O. Good luck with re-paint.

ps: I want a little discount!(If I been you) don´t forget you buy NEW statue and this not look as new.

Thanks for the advice Bekul, but that sounds scary to do! I would definitely need some hand-holding for that haha.

Yep yep, Gob ^_^

Dk - wow, that does make a lot of sense. Thanks for clearing it up and it's so interesting. I guess it means it could have happened to anybody who may have had a bad situation of condensation and then never got around displaying it. If there's anyone out there reading this and has yet to open the statue, I guess now's a good time, fingers crossed it doesn't look like mine. Thanks for the advice. There's so much to learn or know about AOW's statues from you! There are a few chips/ cracks and maybe the mold (switching to American English) is slowly breaking the statue apart (?).

Thanks sovel, I think a re-paint may be a solution.

Gosh, thats some bad luck, both for seller and buyer, you got my sympathies, man :isidro:
That boiling water/bleach thing sounds a bit harsh, wont the colors come off altogether? :???:

Sorry for sounding like a total noob here, but on the subject of re-paint commisions, does anyone actually know any dude who does that kinda stuff professionally?

Hanma_Baki said:
Sorry for sounding like a total noob here, but on the subject of re-paint commisions, does anyone actually know any dude who does that kinda stuff professionally?
There are a few..

Wow! I've never seen anything like that.

Was the styrofoam still taped? Only way to be sure it wasn't opened. Honestly even if it was wet inside I'd be surprised that mold could grow if it was sealed.

I wouldn't dip it in boiler water or bleach. I'd find a painter and explain the situation. They have professional ways to strip it.

G

Genome

Holy c...!!! :isidro:

What is that??? I'm so sorry Incantation :judo:
That the first time I see that. I have checked most of my collection before selling it (or checked it on demand like I did for Fukamichi for Zodd Revelation).

Thanks for DirectDK explanation because here I'm out of explanation here.

I will definitively check all the unboxed items now to don't create such misfortune again :(

Dr.Legato said:
I'd contact the seller nonetheless... Ask him about the storage conditions.

And I think that he already did. His answer is right above your post.

To my knowledge, AOW got many problems with this statue back then. Some wet boxes, condensation, exactly as DirectDK mentioned.

Dr.Legato

Art of War Supporter
It may not be healty but I think in this particular scene it actually adds to the statue, I mean Guts just got his clothes back, they may not have been stored properly by these religion fanatics and being attacked by mouldy ghosts... It makes sense right =p

Top Bottom