Author Topic: Nintendo Power Magazine Shutting Down  (Read 2751 times)

Offline frankencowx

Nintendo Power Magazine Shutting Down
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »
Farewell Gamepro, now Nintendo Power:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/08/21/nintendo-power-magazine-is-shutting-down-according-to-source/

A chunk of anyone else childhood disappearing with this mag?

Everyone should watch this as homage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegQI9WM6mk&feature=youtu.be

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
Re: Nintendo Power Magazine Shutting Down
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
It's sad I suppose, but the magazine was long past its prime. I remember the excitement of getting an issue, like their big Link to the Past issue, in the mail. That was certainly a heady time for childhood gamers. But it's an age loooong since passed.

For anyone interested in revisiting those childhood magazines, this site has them archived: http://www.retromags.com/forums/files/category/1-nintendo-power/

It's worth a look for the covers alone. They're both awesome and hilarious :isidro: :ganishka:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »
It's worth a look for the covers alone. They're both awesome and hilarious

Nice helmet on Simon Belmont in issue #2. And that's one of the good ones! :ganishka:

Offline Grail

• Cheddar Goblin
  • Falconian
  • Of the Vortex
  • Feel the funk blast
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
Not a surprise, but it's kinda sad to think that something I loved so much as a kid is ceasing to exist. I was subscribed back when the first Dragon Quest remakes were coming out for the Gameboy, and I would just spend hours poring over the silly little guides they put together. :ganishka:

Offline Dar Klink

• Falconian
  • Of the Vortex
  • Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
Rest in peace. I still browse through the archives I have of them and have a few older posters from them. :sad:

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Rest in peace. I still browse through the archives I have of them and have a few older posters from them. :sad:
Those old magazines are fantastic to read on the crapper. I wish I still had a stack of my old EGMs...  :judo:

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:02:07 AM »
I vividly remember the first six issues since I spent hours going through them as a kid. The only one I've managed to hold on to though is 13, the special SMB3 guide. Still awesome. :guts:

I randomly bought one a while back because it had a preview for Mega Man 10. Felt appropriate. =)

Those old magazines are fantastic to read on the crapper. I wish I still had a stack of my old EGMs...  :judo:

Oh man, classic EGM is the best, I got issue 52 and was hooked.

These things were HUGE too, like 300 pages (at last it seems that way in my memories). Other favorites include issues 64, 65, 78 (ULTRA 64! :magni:), and I think I had all of those ones with Mortal Kombat 3 covers. Check 'em out:

http://www.playeronepodcast.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/EGM-Covers-1-238a.jpg

Oh, and probably my favorite magazine EVER, the Electronic Gaming Monthly 1995 Video Game Buyer's Guide: