Volume 37

37th volume will be out 29th march 2013. A limited edition will be out too (with Guts Figurine).
http://www.mangaoh.co.jp/catalog/296254/

Last year was already notable for the record fewest number of published Berserk episodes, and this year there apparently won't even be a single tankobon released. Not exactly an encouraging development. That's too bad :sad:
But here's hoping that with the March 29 release date for vol 37, the 2013 will mark a return to the good old days of 2 volumes per annum, with the volume 38 coming out later on that same year :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
LOicos said:
37th volume will be out 29th march 2013. A limited edition will be out too (with Guts Figurine).
Hm, I'll say that historically, it's abnormal to get a release date for volumes so far ahead of time (7 months). Normally we hear about it a few weeks in advance, at most 2 months. I'll bet tying the release to a "figma" was the deciding factor here.

This advanced notice gives Miura a timeline, but a loose one, in which to release the remaining three episodes expected to be collected in Vol. 37.

Can't wait for the cover, as always! :daiba:

Rodrigo said:
But here's hoping that with the March 29 release date for vol 37, the 2013 will mark a return to the good old days of 2 volumes per annum, with the volume 38 coming out later on that same year :guts:
That's a little too optimistic, given the pace over the last six years. I'd be happy with a return to a steady volume a year, or at best, an episode per month. But this is hardly the thread for wishful thinking...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
LOicos said:

There's been a thread in the Merchandise section about the limited edition for a while.

Rodrigo said:
Last year was already notable for the record fewest number of published Berserk episodes, and this year there apparently won't even be a single tankobon released. Not exactly an encouraging development. That's too bad :sad:

Better to wait longer than to get volumes with fewer episodes in them.

Walter said:
This advanced notice gives Miura a timeline, but a loose one, in which to release the remaining three episodes expected to be collected in Vol. 37.
Aazealh said:
Better to wait longer than to get volumes with fewer episodes in them.

I think Miura wants to complete the story of Isma, her home island and the merrows, and finish it all out once and for all by the end of volume 37. And he's likely going to be needing more than 3 episodes to achieve that. So as Aazealh has said, volume 37 will probably contain 10 or 11 episodes, as opposed to just 9 that we've been getting in the past few years.

Walter said:
That's a little too optimistic, given the pace over the last six years. I'd be happy with a return to a steady volume a year, or at best, an episode per month. But this is hardly the thread for wishful thinking...

Still, 7 months is quite a mighty long time. Not only will Miura have completed volume 37 within that given period, I think it's a safe bet that by March of next year there will also be at least 1 or 2 episodes released, that will be going towards the volume 38. And also, yes I'll admit that I'm being optimistic here. But with Miura's continuing publication of new episodes after the release of volume 37 in next March, then even with all the breaks taken into consideration, it should be enough to complete a volume 38 by November or December of 2013.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rodrigo said:
So as Aazealh has said, volume 37 will probably contain 10 or 11 episodes, as opposed to just 9 that we've been getting in the past few years.

That's not what I said. As much as I wish it were the case, I doubt we'll be getting more than 9 episodes in the next volume. But I prefer to wait and get 9 than to have less earlier on (especially since we follow the prepublication). When it comes to the way episodes are gathered in each volume, packaging the story neatly book by book has never been a consideration. Case in point: volume 34, that would have ended perfectly if it had included episode 307 (Falconia), thus concluding the chapter of the same name as well as the Millennium Falcon arc. But it didn't, and 307 was published in volume 35. It's the same for a lot of other volumes who end on cliffhangers. I'm not even sure Miura is at the heart of those decisions; might be more Shimada's call, as he is the editor.

Rodrigo said:
Still, 7 months is quite a mighty long time. Not only will Miura have completed volume 37 within that given period, I think it's a safe bet that by March of next year there will also be at least 1 or 2 episodes released, that will be going towards the volume 38.

So what? That's how it used to be. Historically volumes were never released right as the proper amount of episodes was out. It's no big deal.

Rodrigo said:
And also, yes I'll admit that I'm being optimistic here. But with Miura's continuing publication of new episodes after the release of volume 37 in next March, then even with all the breaks taken into consideration, it should be enough to complete a volume 38 by November or December of 2013.

Alright, let's be optimistic. 3 more episodes are released this year, enough to publish volume 37. It's only available later because of the special deal. We would still need 9 episodes that year in order for volume 38 to be released then, and it'd have to come out pretty quickly too. Not impossible, but not particularly likely either.

Regardless of when the volume is released, I think it's safe to say that over the next year, despite how many breaks their are in the releases, we will be seeing some of the biggest developments in the story for years. I definitely think that's worth waiting for.

Oburi

All praise Grail
JezzaX said:
Regardless of when the volume is released, I think it's safe to say that over the next year, despite how many breaks their are in the releases, we will be seeing some of the biggest developments in the story for years. I definitely think that's worth waiting for.

It certainly helps.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Do you guys think we will get a volume with 10 episodes in it? If Miura delivers two more episodes in a row before the release in February ( I think) it could be possible...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Do you guys think we will get a volume with 10 episodes in it? If Miura delivers two more episodes in a row before the release in February ( I think) it could be possible...
There's no way for us to know, but at the rate the releases have been coming, I don't foresee there being additional episodes (>9) in Volume 37. Particularly because it doesn't look like there will be anymore episodes for the remainder of 2012. So if they were going to come, it would have to be in January.

jackson_hurley

Yeh I was not expecting an episode for the remainder of 2012 either, but maybe we'll get 2 in a row in January. Anyway it would not change anything for me to have 9 or 10 episodes in vol 37. I just had nothing else to do and thought about that. Let me have my wishfull thinking! :slan:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Yeh I was not expecting an episode for the remainder of 2012 either, but maybe we'll get 2 in a row in January.

Even if we did, in the current context I would still not expect the volume to feature 10 episodes. That change was likely not made on a whim and is meant to last. At least until the publication pace picks up speed again, if it ever does.

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
Even if we did, in the current context I would still not expect the volume to feature 10 episodes. That change was likely not made on a whim and is meant to last. At least until the publication pace picks up speed again, if it ever does.

Now that I think about it, how many volumes did we get with only 9 episodes? 2? Either way it's gonna be a nice volume. 9 or 10, who cares! As long as it's Berserk it's fine with me. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the basic publishing information on Volume 37 is now available on s-book in Japan: http://www.s-book.net/plsql/slib_detail?isbn=9784592144373

This's usually one of the spots where we get to see the cover first, barring an early preview in one of the Young Animals.

No page numbers yet, but it's going to be 9 episodes, so probably the same as the previous volume.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
The great thing about preordering something so ridiculously in advance is that I completely forgot about this. Fuck I can't wait for my FIGMA!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
As always, I enjoy the ancitipation for what the cover will be. I haven't been blown away by a cover since Vol 34, so I'm really hoping for something special with 37. Maybe Falconia will finally get its due? I doubt it will focus on Guts' childhood. Thoughts?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I personally think that a shot of the Sea Horse or Falconia would be nice, though Miura typically features characters on his covers. Considering how we've been jumping between the ship, a flashback and Falconia in equal-ish parts, I'm having a hard time predicting what we might see, aside from a classic "Guts looking cool" cover, which always seems to be in fashion. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I doubt it will focus on Guts' childhood. Thoughts?

I'd like for it to be the case though, just to see you shit your pants. Imagine if it had Gambino! :carcus:

Anyways, for the sake of unusualness I'd like for it to show Chich. I think it could make for an emotionally strong cover, but obviously it's not likely to happen. A poster though? One can hope. Other than that, yeah Falconia (or the world at large) would be nice, especially something featuring Rickert and Erica.

...Or it could be a shot of Guts. :iva:

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
A poster though? One can hope.

yeah that's what I had in mind actually, since there was a lot of "switch" it could be something in the likes of volume 23. Some kind of a multiple character poster. Maybe a mix of both the Seahorse and Falconia or the likes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting—the S-Book listing now shows Volume 37 as having 244 pages, which is about 20 more than Volume 36, and is more on par with when we used to get 10 episodes in each volume. Hmmm... It may also just be the result of these episodes having more pages than average.

http://www.s-book.net/plsql/slib_detail?isbn=9784592144373

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Interesting—the S-Book listing now shows Volume 37 as having 244 pages, which is about 20 more than Volume 36, and is more on par with when we used to get 10 episodes in each volume. Hmmm... It may also just be the result of these episodes having more pages than average.

http://www.s-book.net/plsql/slib_detail?isbn=9784592144373

The raw page number of a volume doesn't always mean much though, see this old post of mine for example:

Aazealh said:
Volume 35 will be 236 pages (like volumes 25, 26, 27, 28), less than what we've been getting recently (252 pages for volume 34, 244 for volume 33) [...]

For reference, counting only the episodes themselves we have 216 pages of material in volume 34 with 10 episodes and 196 pages of material in volume 35 with 9 episodes. And now for an even more interesting fact: volume 31 had 196 pages of material with 10 episodes, and volume 30 had 194 pages. Volume 24 might have had even less. :rakshas:

Top Bottom