New Metal Gear Solid Game and movie announced

Not too much in the way of details but we have a title and a bit technical info

http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes/previews/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-shows-off-fox-engine-shine-and-possible-open-world-elements-6393924/

Can't wait to play as big boss again also an MGS Movie was announced though not really any details to go along with it

http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-metal-gear-solid-game-movie-confirmed-6393921

005-5.jpg
You mean the 3rd last missing link title that the last' 2 titles before Metal Gear were supposed to be. The photo is cool it reminds me of Splinter Cell for some reason.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Does the Metal Gear franchise still excite people? It does nothing for me anymore. We've all been down this road 5 times before at this point.

And a movie? Get real...

Walter said:
Does the Metal Gear franchise still excite people? It does nothing for me anymore. We've all been down this road 5 times before at this point.

And a movie? Get real...

I never pass up on an opportunity to buy a new entry in the Metal Gear Solid franchise.

But as far as a Metal Gear Solid film is concerned its a total pass for me. If people want a Metal Gear Solid Film/Mini-Series they can go and record the cutscenes from the current 6 titles.

hellrasinb said:
I never pass up on an opportunity to buy a new entry in the Metal Gear Solid franchise.

But as far as a Metal Gear Solid film is concerned its a total pass for me. If people want a Metal Gear Solid Film/Mini-Series they can go and record the cutscenes from the current 6 titles.

I've been been playing MGS for about a decade and have been impressed to some degree with every game Kojima has put out. At this point I cannot help but have faith in the man so I will definitely be getting this. As for the movie even though the all my instinct's tell me I will hate it(possibly even as much as I hated the Max Payne movie) and that it will be adapted for younger audiences to try to increase sales because the story is based off a video game(I shudder remembering the press release that the bioshock film was supposedly being geared toward having a PG13 rating). Even despite all that I probably will still go and see it

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
hellrasinb said:

That's probably why half of it is half-assed bullshit. I much more appreciated what happened after the negative response to MGS2. Negative feedback is a good thing.*

*Within Reason: ME3 Corollary

Walter said:

I probably won't play this since it's likely going to be a Playstation 5 exclusive, but I'm feeling pro-MGS/Kojima at the moment since I'm replaying the excellent Snake Eater. I even like the devious torture that is MGS2, so add that and 3 to MGS1 and that's a pretty awesome gaming trilogy overall (I think we tend to forget this when we're shitting all over Kojima =). Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull kind of killed it for me, but I'd still be interested in playing something like Peace Walker, and am at least tantalized by this since it also returns to Naked Snake/Big Boss, who proved to be the most interesting protagonist in the series (I like how the guy that wrote the article had no idea it was him/what he was talking about). Anyway, I'm pretty careful about totally writing off a series or creator like this, for as obnoxious as Kojima can be, he can also be amazing, and like I said, that was a pretty significant trilogy of games, in ways most others wouldn't even attempt. It's easy to write the series off, but if you're a gamer, do you really want someone like Kojima to go away, and for what? I'm sure we've all played and enjoyed worse and put up with more BS from lesser developers (is the DNF forum still active? =), even some of, if not especially, our favorites. So yeah, I don't know if this is it, but I'm at least hoping we'll see the "good" Kojima come out again and another significant MGS game in our future; to quote someone with a similarly mixed bag as him, "Do you really want to live in a world without Coca-Cola?"

...As for what location(s) MGSGZ is to be set across in unknown just as the year and who the rest of the cast is.

...I don't think that we will be seeing MGS5 anytime soon I do believe that if an MGS5 were to happen it would be after MGSGZ. I say this as I believe that Kojima more than likely will use MGS5 as the start of the next MGS Series so any MGS titles that are coming out that he is directing / writting are going to be closing the gap between MGS3 and MG.

Griffith

hellrasinb said:
...As for what location(s) MGSGZ is to be set across in unknown just as the year and who the rest of the cast is.

Thanks for the info!

Also, a better answer to Walter's question:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=6061.525

Page count surprised me for such a crappy game.

Griffith said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull kind of killed it for me, but I'd still be interested in playing something like Peace Walker, and am at least tantalized by this since it also returns to Naked Snake/Big Boss

I also agree MGS4 was overkill, but you should try Peace Walker. Its not as good as Snake Eater but still pretty good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
It's easy to write the series off, but if you're a gamer, do you really want someone like Kojima to go away, and for what?
For anything other than yet another goddamned "sneaking mission."

Griffith said:
Also, a better answer to Walter's question:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=6061.525
:schierke: That was four years and 2 MGS games ago—3 if you count the newly announced Ground Zeroes.

Griffith

Walter said:
For anything other than yet another goddamned "sneaking mission."

That doesn't answer the question! Though, You could probably just name anything specific and I'd concede. =)

Walter said:
:schierke: That was four years and 2 MGS games ago—3 if you count the newly announced Ground Zeroes.

Well, those shouldn't even count, which raises the point that they've watered down the brand with all these side games (including this one perhaps). Anyway, my point was it's a pretty subjective question and you're probably more excited about objectively worse stuff just because you're not suffering from the same fatigue with those properties. Honestly, I'm not excited by this, but it's because I don't know if this is Kojima really trying, or if it's just another unessential game in the MGS franchise (I feel like he rose to the challenge in MGS3, but since then there's been no challenge and he's just doing whatever). On that note...

Johnstantine said:

The fact that this isn't being called MGS5 outright is a red flag. BTW, you know what I think would get people excited and actually do the series final justice/bridge the gap, etc? A retelling of Metal Gear 1 & 2, with all the new information and character connections incorporated and renewed emphasis on the relationship between Big Boss and Solid Snake (ala Boss and Naked Snake). Like a Zelda 1 remake (speaking of, "why does this series excite you still?"), that would be a lot more exciting to me than anything else they're going to roll out.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I'll try to sum up my self-important opinions on this rather quickly: :griffnotevil:

-Metal Gear Solid 2 is underrated
-Snake Eater is rated exactly as it should be (Read: wonderful)
-MGS4 was embarrassing in ways, but also good enough to be the end of it
-I don't want any more games in this series
-A movie will either be a disaster or, more likely, never make it out of development hell
-Give me Zone of the Enders 3
-GIVE ME ZONE OF THE ENDERS 3

Griffith

Saephon said:
-Metal Gear Solid 2 is underrated

It probably has my favorite control scheme in the series, and what can you say about the rest? It's the equivalent of a big budget blockbuster art film. They don't make them like this anymore, because nobody ever did. Speaking of which, it's going to be featured in the Smithsonian's "The Art of Video Games" exhibition, along with Mass Effect 2 among others.

Anyway, here's footage of the trailer, the cinematics are largely weird and boring until Big Boss shows up, which livens things up from a pure fan standpoint, and there's some MGS4-like gameplay on display (not very exciting):

http://www.gamespot.com/events/pax-2012/video.html?sid=6394487t

Also, according to Kojima this game is the "prologue" to MGS5. :schierke: That doesn't exactly give off a sense of urgency or vitalness for these games. Kojima seems content just to pump these things out every other year now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Also, according to Kojima this game is the "prologue" to MGS5. :schierke: That doesn't exactly give off a sense of urgency or vitalness for these games. Kojima seems content just to pump these things out every other year now.

Hahaha well, a man's gotta eat, y'know? And it's not like Konami can survive off a lot of franchises other than MGS nowadays...

Ok so now that its confirmed by Kojima that MGSGZ is the set up for MGS5 we can start putting 2 and 2 together now. I'm gonna have to call it 1st MGS5 is more than likely going to be the remake of MG.

Yeah... sorry guys. I hate to admit it but I'm all about the Naked Snake era. I'm sold. I really enjoyed peace walker, even with all its flaws. This seems to have a good chance of being a great follow up.

I wish I felt the same about Resident Evil 6.

You know I was thinking about what Kojima said about GZ being the Prologue for MGS5 then I thought hey wait a sec The Tanker Chapter was the Prologue for MGS2.

Also did anyone pick up on the fact that MGSGZ is a re-hash of MG/MGS again. Miller and Big Boss's dialogue once BB climbs up the cliff is blow for blow Col. Campbell and Solid Snake chatter from MGS. Secondly Chico and Paz being held on opposite locations of Camp Omega is also directly from MGS with ArmsTech CEO Kenneth Baker and DARPA Chief Donald Anderson at Shadow Moses.

-----
-----

Going into Metal Gear Rising Revengance at the Tokyo Game Show 2012, I was sure I knew what I was in for. After all, I have played (and liked) plenty of Platinum's previous titles—i.e. Bayonetta, Madworld, and Anarchy Reigns. Yet, my time with Rising was plagued with a major issue stemming from the game's incredibly counterintuitive controls. Simply put, I could not figure out how to block, dodge, or counter.

The only way I was able to not get hit was to sprint away. However, that was hardly a possibility in most instances as sprinting does not interrupt combos and takes a good solid second to initialize.

While fighting normal soldiers, not being able to block/dodge isn't too much of a problem as ripping out an enemy spine restores you to full life. However, while fighting metal gears and robotic dogs—which take much more than one slash to kill—there is no quick way to heal. Moreover, they strike hard enough to kill you in only two or three hits.

Sure I was missing something, I even went back for a second turn at Rising. I studied the controller layout sheet and, sure enough, there was no dodge, block, or counter button.

Finally, after asking many different people, I found one person able to explain to me that while there is still no dodge, you are, in fact, able to block. To block, you must do a weak attack at just the right moment—something I never would have guessed.

So while many of the controls are exactly what you would expect from a hack and slash action game—with weak attacks, strong attacks, and jumping exactly where you'd expect them to be—other parts of Rising, like blocking are counterintuitive at best. And frankly, blocking is certainly important in a game where you fight a hyperactive dog with a chainsaw for a tail.

xlarge.jpg

Source: http://kotaku.com/5945186/metal-gear-risings-controls-seem-painfully-counterintuitive

That Kotaku article is complete garbage like most stuff posted on that site. It doesnt bring up info given to us from a variety of other sites that have played the older demo as well as the newer TGS demo.

There is in fact a "block" button but its really a parry type of move where you hit one of the attack buttons at the right moment during an enemy attack to parry their attack and if done enough times or at just the right moment will stun enemies and leave them open. Not only that but just above everything from rockets to enemies melee weapons to the Gekko's trying to stomp you can be parried.

Not only that but using the ninja run ability will cause you to deflect machine gun fire while on the move.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Walter said:

And a movie? Get real...

It hasn't for me since MGS3, but Ground Zeroes and Rising do look pretty good so far (Rising mostly because it's by Platinum Games, which was about the best choice Kojima could have made.)

And yeah, haven't they been floating around the idea of a movie for a long time now? It seems like the Akira movie, destined to be stuck in development hell until the end of time. Better off that way too.

Movie
Time has really proven to me that nothing good comes out of situations like this. An MGS movie will be garbage and I'll whole heartedly enjoy listening to morons try and tell me how THIS will somehow be different. My blood runs cold...

Game
I wish I had a better reaction when I heard the news. I went, "Oh?". That's it. I use to lose my shit at times like this. Who is it now? Solid or Big Boss? Big Boss I hear. Don't want more of him. Really don't. The only thing I got curious about was guy with the weird face. I've seen some speculation and no one has said (at least I haven't seen it) what I've been thinking: DECOY OCTOPUS. There's next to nothing on him. Fuck it, I'm putting my money on it being him if this takes place with Big Boss as the main character. Other than that, it looks pretty but I'm tired of knowing the fate of the character I play as. Solid Snake or GTFO.

Proj2501 said:
Movie
Time has really proven to me that nothing good comes out of situations like this. An MGS movie will be garbage and I'll whole heartedly enjoy listening to morons try and tell me how THIS will somehow be different. My blood runs cold...

Game
I wish I had a better reaction when I heard the news. I went, "Oh?". That's it. I use to lose my shit at times like this. Who is it now? Solid or Big Boss? Big Boss I hear. Don't want more of him. Really don't. The only thing I got curious about was guy with the weird face. I've seen some speculation and no one has said (at least I haven't seen it) what I've been thinking: DECOY OCTOPUS. There's next to nothing on him. Fuck it, I'm putting my money on it being him if this takes place with Big Boss as the main character. Other than that, it looks pretty but I'm tired of knowing the fate of the character I play as. Solid Snake or GTFO.

Film

Well a Live-Action Theatrical Metal Gear Solid film Franchise is not outside the realm of possibility its just going to be a bitch to translate the material from Video Game to Film. And this film project is going to be no more troublesome for the studio wanting to do the film than The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Watchmen have been. If the Live Action project falls apart I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy Fan-Film get financed.

Game

The way I see it Kojima is doing an open world Metal Gear Solid game in the vein of Deus Ex Human Revolution (MGGZ). Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes is the set up for Metal Gear Solid 5 which means that MGS5 will end up being one of 2 possible choices its either going to be set across the 80s - 90s with most of the major world conflicts financed by Outer Heaven again Cypher or its going to be a complete redux of Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake. I have a feeling that Metal Gear Solid 6 is going to be a new series all together with no connection to the 8 Titles that preceded it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinb said:
Well a Live-Action Theatrical Metal Gear Solid film Franchise is not outside the realm of possibility its just going to be a bitch to translate the material from Video Game to Film.

Might as well just watch the movies the series was born from.

hellrasinb said:
The way I see it Kojima is doing an open world Metal Gear Solid game in the vein of Deus Ex Human Revolution (MGGZ).

I wouldn't call DX:HR an "open world".

Top Bottom