1:1 scale replica of Guts DRAGON SLAYER!!!

Theoden said:
I'm still wondering something : The main body of the sword( with grain and texture ) is bothering me. How will it be attached to the handle ? I mean, If we'd like to "swing" the sword, just for fun let's say, will it be attached strongly enough ? Or maybe once the mold is done there will be some specific things about that?
Yep, the idea is open up the possibility for someone to wield it IF he/ she wants to, advisable or not! In addition to having a strong handle, he said he would cast heavy duty threaded rod in each handle that'll allow the handle sleeve in place and thread/ screw in position.

Maiku said:
What is the material? Any estimates on weight?
He said he was gunning for no more than 10-15 pounds, maybe lighter, since it's being made out of fiberglass, which's both lightweight and strong.

Update.

IMG_20120924_164258dsm1.jpg

IMG_20120925_101843dsm2.jpg

IMG_20120927_101952dsm5.jpg

THAT'S A LOT OF BLOOD OFF YOU KNOW WHAT/ WHO!!! Han Solo anyone? :slan:

ghadrack

Not a llama or your momma!
Fuck yes.

With one provision and I assume this is a given, but the thing needs to be able to support it's own weight by the handle. I don't expect to be whacking things with it, but it has to be sturdy enough to be held by the handle for pictures. So long as it'll do at least that, Im in.

I have been carrying around a set of CAD/RHino files for the last five years occasionally shopping around with local CNC shops and the thing is so damn big I can't et anyone to even quote me a price for an aluminum version. Someday!

PS. James knows another forum that some of us are members of where he may be able to drum up some more sales. Not a huge anime forum, but there are lots of big spenders with obscure tastes in replicas. Not sure if you are trying to keep this project on the down-low, but www.therpf.com is pretty much the coolest prop replica site onthe internet, I can't begin to tell you how much money I have spent over there :)

andrewdsz said:
Do we have a case or whatsoever to hold the sword if we wanted to store it away? Priced too high IMO....

Do you even know what is the cost to produce an object of this size ? Without talking about the time it's taking ?

No matter what cost it is, 1k for a customized sword is not cheap in my eyes. I think everyone agree w me that AOW statues are VERY expensive.

andrewdsz said:
No matter what cost it is, 1k for a customized sword is not cheap in my eyes. I think everyone agree w me that AOW statues are VERY expensive.

Who said it was cheap ? It costs what it costs, that's all. I don't see the connection with AoW since it's totally different.

Theoden said:
Can't wait to see the final result, painted. And the bloody version of course :void:
*chopchopchop* :magni:

Master of the Obvious said:
Fuck yes.

With one provision and I assume this is a given, but the thing needs to be able to support it's own weight by the handle. I don't expect to be whacking things with it, but it has to be sturdy enough to be held by the handle for pictures. So long as it'll do at least that, Im in.
Yeah, he's going to make it possible, so it can be wielded. Weight is uncertain right now, but we'll know soon judging by the quick progress he's making on the project!

andrewdsz said:
Do we have a case or whatsoever to hold the sword if we wanted to store it away? Priced too high IMO....

Not discussed or planned for since there is no sheath or case that Guts uses for the Dragonslayer. With regard to the price, I'm sorry you find it expensive. I agree with Theoden, you can't compare the two, this project is about making a 1:1 replica, not a statue. The hours James has already spent on it, plus what he'll spend to complete/ fine-tune it, the cost of the materials, making the mold (maybe go through more), paint, hours he will spend on each order, ordering special boxes to ship, packaging, etc. - factoring all this in (and more), we ensured that the cost of the sword is super low AND that we do not cut corners. For all our sake, to bring the cost down, James agreed to charge less for the hours he'll put in on each sword and I'm super thankful to him for that. For his quality of work, this's exciting.

If we are to compare it to AOW, since you mention it, the cost of the replica post shipping is cheaper than the pre-tax 20th Anniversary Guts you recently pre-ordered. And much ... much larger in scale :guts:

Update!

2 pictures showing progress on the sword! This is 1 side cast out of the mold and you can also see James putting structure to the sword.

IMG_20121002_160247side1_zpsca340edc.jpg

IMG_20121003_152300front1_zps62c858aa.jpg

:ubik: - New deposits received by DirectDK and Mark Gallagher.

Just saw this thread and not sure but I want to throw my 2 cents in...

I recently made a ~1:1 scale replica of the 100 man slayer sword for my cosplay of Guts. I made it out of wood so its quite durable. It weighs only ~15 lbs but try holding a 6 ft+ sword that weighs 15lbs straight out... it gets quite heavy. I have swung it around, but the things get so heavy if you swing it overhead you wont be able to stop it. I did it once in my backyard and couldn't stop it from digging into the grass.

As far as making it, I did it with my father for the fun of it. Obviously I'm a fan of Berserk so I enjoyed it and it helped me bond with my old man. A couple weekends here and there and we got it done. Sine we made it out of wood it was much cheaper than fiberglass which you are using. With the man hours taken into account I'd say we spent ~$300 on it.

I really want to see final pics of this! How durable do you think it would be? Could you use it as a prop for a costume? Swing it around, pose with it, etc? Good luck.

Hey man! Sorry I just got around replying to you. Thanks for posting about your experience with making the 100 man-slayer sword replica, it really helps understanding each step you took to ensure certain important things were taken care of. About your questions - durability (balancing durability with weight is important and it's made from the same material as my SK sword+shield/ the 1:1 busts he's made for members on the board. It isn't going to chip unless you were to hit objects with it) - could it be used as a prop/ swing it around/ pose/ etc. (sure thing, for swinging it around though it'll depend on the weight - we don't know the exact weight at the moment since it isn't completed but James indicated it would be somewhere between 10 to 15 pounds).

here's a video of james swinging and carrying around the sword!!! :ubik:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7EQ9sdUD_w

[this isn't the final product yet]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
here's a video of james swinging and carrying around the sword!!! :ubik:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7EQ9sdUD_w

[this isn't the final product yet]

Looks awesome. Nice music too. :iva:

Thanks for posting that video with sound DirectDK, looking MASSIVE eeeh! Good work Maiku, good work ;)!

Here's a quick update on the paint on the sword -

100_3893.jpg

IMG_20121118_165925.jpg

IMG_20121118_165950.jpg

This is a work-in-progress paint with a few touches remaining on the outside color (it looks a bit soft), but the inside darker color is smack on. You can look and compare it with the colors you see on the cover drawn by Miura in that first picture. For the inside darker color, James had to put in 4 different coats to give it that bold effect. The tip on the sword is also slightly modified to be a bit longer than what you saw earlier.

Guys, we're close to completion!! Exciting as hell!!!

Current weight is between 14 and 15 pounds.

What's left - threading on the handle and layered paint for the outer lighter grey area.

Quick note - James' schedule is a bit open at the moment so if you want this baby prepped and shipped soon, he can very well work on it and turn it around! There is of course the option to get it in plain color or add 'blood' effects on it which you can let him know once you've paid the initial deposit.

I'm personally not getting the blood effect on my sword, but who knows ... maybe I'll buy another with the effect on ^_~

TADA!! IT'S COMPLETED!! And in true Christmas spirit, this makes for a good present :guts:

Pictures below are for the Regular Version (not the Bloody Version). You can see the difference in paint from the post above where the outer grey looked softer before.

WHY HELLO THERE! PICK ME UP.

100_3905.jpg

OK!

100_3913.jpg

Note that the pictures below show the sword in different light because of the lighting indoors and/ use of flash.

DS chilling by the couch.

100_3900.jpg

Best holiday present. "Hey honey, open your present will ya?" ... "Is that a big choo-choo train track Dad?" ... "No son, it's better than that. It's a *whooooosh* DRAGON SLAYYYYAAA!!! *Dad bought it for himself*" ... Son *no reaction*

100_3897.jpg

Leaving my bad sense of humor aside, this project is DONE! For everyone who have paid their deposits, James will work on completing your orders soon and ship them to you accordingly. Please let him know if you'd like to get the Regular Version or the Bloody Version of the sword. As indicated above, the weight is around the 15 pound mark and shipping will be according to that set weight plus the weight of packaging and the box itself, which will have to be custom-ordered.

Get on it folks!

I have no words... This is fantastic.... :isidro: I am almost in tears to see this......

I can't wait to get this beauty and to see my bloody version.. I AM SO FREAKING HAPPY and I didn't even touch it yet...

Wow :isidro: My heart started pounding like crazy as soon as I laid eyes upon those pics, I think Im in love :farnese:

James is a great man. I cant imagine how proud he must be of this. Its even more magnificent than I thought it would be.

As I stated before I REALLY want this. But as I also said its pretty much impossible for me atm. Will this be available a some later point? Cause I really have to save up some serious dough here. (And this is probably still assuming a payment plan is acceptable, sorry, I hate being so bothersome)

Top Bottom