Episode 332

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Irvine said:
I wonder what will happen when Rickert meets Griffith.

Assuming he meets him up close and personal, which isn't guaranteed. Will King Griffith walk among his people on a daily basis? Does he have all new citizens brought to him in his palace when they first arrive? Or is he just seen from afar, unattainable? Either way, I think it's pretty obvious, like Walter said. Upon learning the truth, Rickert's reaction was to want to accompany Guts on his quest for revenge. Rickert may not have been at the Occultation ceremony, but he still saw a lot of his comrades butchered by apostles, and would have died himself if not for the Skull Knight's intervention. Given all that it'll already be very interesting to see his reaction to Irvine in the next episode.

Irvine said:
But Sonja can read minds can't she? So perhaps she will somehow find out that he says the truth? :???:

Sonia isn't the character most likely to be offended beyond words by the Occultation ceremony. I don't think she'd be too sad to see Charlotte devoured by an apostle, for example.

Aazealh said:
Sonia isn't the character most likely to be offended beyond words by the Occultation ceremony. I don't think she'd be too sad to see Charlotte devoured by an apostle, for example.
Haha so true.Besides she seems to despise other people, calling them ducks, so I think she wouldn't mind it that much if an event like the Occultation were to happen.And she already knows that Apostles eat humans, so yeah she's not the kind of person to worry about innocents getting slain by Apostles.
But still it would be interesting to see her reaction when she finds out about Griffith's true form, if that ever happens.

Devilwoman said:
Haha so true.Besides she seems to despise other people, calling them ducks, so I think she wouldn't mind it that much if an event like the Occultation were to happen.And she already knows that Apostles eat humans, so yeah she's not the kind of person to worry about innocents getting slain by Apostles.
But still it would be interesting to see her reaction when she finds out about Griffith's true form, if that ever happens.

I believe that will be the clincher since I think Griffith is presently the center of Sonias existence. Though honestly rather than his true appearance I think it would be the fact that Griffith feels nothing, cares for nothing(except his dream) and is arguably incapable of giving a damn about her in any way(except superficially). I think if this ever manages to pierce the thick layer of childish naivety That Sonia seems surrounded by then it could prove to have some interesting consequences. Sonia meeting Rickert could be the just the first step towards Sonia being exposed to everything Griffith is and with her ability to project images to others who knows

Some cool thoughts on Rickert here guys. Nice read.

Aazealh said:
Their necks are thicker than humans'.

That's well observed. They resemble a caveman in that their constitution is more robust than normal.

Still on Irvine's character I wonder what else the future holds for him, besides bringing some cool looks whenever he appears. I think it was Griffith in this thread who said that Irvine could be the future rival for Serpico... but lately I have been thinking that there might be some good potential for a confront between Guts and Irvine. After all, Irvine is a seasoned hunter and Guts not only has been portrayed as a mad or rabid dog during some parts of the story but he has the beast of darkness deep within himself.

It's interesting to consider the possibility of this "Hunter" vs "the Hunt" confrontation and what it could bring in terms of dynamics and characterization to both characters. In such exchange, for instance, I could see Irvine recognizing the beast that dwells within Guts and trying to acknowledge it as his prey like he did to the Cockatrice (which of course would make the hunter become the hunted). :carcus:

The only thing I have trouble seeing is how they would engage with each other in a possible fight scene, as Guts is a master of close combat with the Dragonslayer, and Irvine is the epitome of the ranged fighter. They couldn't be any more different in that regard. Unless Irvine proves to be quite competent at cqc as well. We know he is quite deadly with both versions of his demonic bow, but he hasn't shown any close quarters ability so far, beside the moment he showed great agility to save Sonia from danger when they were fighting the Ganishka tower-apostle. Hopefully his wolf-like appearance on his apostle form is not just for show. It would be cool if Irvine could create spears or bladed weapons with his fur or the hair on his tail like he does to create his mortal arrows as well.

Just throwing some thoughts, sorry if this all sounds too outlandish or far-fetched. Maybe instead of thinking who he's going to fight against in Guts group maybe there could be a different path for his character... who knows what Irvine might have sacrificed to become an apostle, but curiously, besides being the most anti-social or lonely captain of the neo Band of the Hawk, he also strikes me as one of the most human of the apostles so far, seeing how he both empathized and even bonded with Sonia on episodes 298 to 301. I'd like to see Irvine becoming a more neutral character in the story at some point, but so far he seems too loyal to Griffith, like any apostle at this point.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Arvin said:
but lately I have been thinking that there might be some good potential for a confront between Guts and Irvine. After all, Irvine is a seasoned hunter and Guts not only has been portrayed as a mad or rabid dog during some parts of the story but he has the beast of darkness deep within himself.

It's interesting to consider the possibility of this "Hunter" vs "the Hunt" confrontation and what it could bring in terms of dynamics and characterization to both characters. In such exchange, for instance, I could see Irvine recognizing the beast that dwells within Guts and trying to acknowledge it as his prey like he did to the Cockatrice (which of course would make the hunter become the hunted). :carcus:

Carefull here : Guts doesn't "have" the beast of darkness within himself. The beast of darkness is part of Guts personality (if I can word it like that), an amalgamation of his dark and violent feelings. It's not like he has a beast inside of him if you get what I mean..

But I do agree a confrontation between the two of them could be interesting since like you said, they are not the same kind of fighters, so I'd be interested in seeing them go at it even though I'm not sure it'll happen between the two of them..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Arvin said:
They resemble a caveman in that their constitution is more robust than normal.

I don't think they really resemble cavemen. Their anatomy is quite different from that of humans.

Arvin said:
lately I have been thinking that there might be some good potential for a confront between Guts and Irvine. After all, Irvine is a seasoned hunter and Guts not only has been portrayed as a mad or rabid dog during some parts of the story but he has the beast of darkness deep within himself. It's interesting to consider the possibility of this "Hunter" vs "the Hunt" confrontation and what it could bring in terms of dynamics and characterization to both characters. In such exchange, for instance, I could see Irvine recognizing the beast that dwells within Guts and trying to acknowledge it as his prey like he did to the Cockatrice (which of course would make the hunter become the hunted).

While the idea of Irvine equating Guts to a beast is not entirely without merit (for example if he saw Guts fighting while under the armor's influence he could relate it to a wild animal), I think your arguments are pretty far-fetched. I mean the cockatrice is an actual beast while in Guts' case we're talking about a mental construct. And does Irvine really need to become a psychiatrist in order to see Guts as his prey anyway? He's branded and therefore is "prey" to all apostles by default.

jackson_hurley said:
Carefull here : Guts doesn't "have" the beast of darkness within himself. The beast of darkness is part of Guts personality (if I can word it like that), an amalgamation of his dark and violent feelings. It's not like he has a beast inside of him if you get what I mean..

But I do agree a confrontation between the two of them could be interesting since like you said, they are not the same kind of fighters, so I'd be interested in seeing them go at it even though I'm not sure it'll happen between the two of them..

Sure, I think I was aware by reading here somewhere that the beast of darkness is actually part of Guts's personality but yeah, I might have worded a bit poorly there its relation to Guts.

Aazealh said:
And does Irvine really need to become a psychiatrist in order to see Guts as his prey anyway? He's branded and therefore is "prey" to all apostles by default.

LOL... Haha, well said, can't believe I actually forgot that Guts is branded and Irvine is well... an apostle. Maybe it's just that Irvine doesn't quite behave as your typical barbaric apostle. But that's a nice reminder. :ganishka:

Any word on when we might see Episode 333. The suspense is killing me. Either seeing what Falconia has become or what Elfhelm is like is going to be a major turning point.

Great news!!!

Rhombaad said:
Awesome! I thought for sure we wouldn't be seeing a new episode until sometime in early 2013.

Now that you bring it to my attention, its totally awesome that we get one last episode before the end of the year! Alas, not before the end of the world. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Technically this episode counts as the first of 2013, not the last of 2012. It'll be published in issue #1 of the year.

Top Bottom