Disney Acquires Star Wars

Maybe this deserves its own thread but...

Disney buys Lucasfilm for 4 billion, new Star Wars Episode 7 for 2015:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

Press Release from Disney:

Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchise.

Acquisition continues Disney's strategic focus on creating and monetizing the world's best branded content, innovative technology and global growth to drive long-term shareholder value.

Lucasfilm to join company's global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

Burbank, CA and San Francisco, CA, October 30, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.

Driven by a tremendously talented creative team, Lucasfilm's legendary Star Wars franchise has flourished for more than 35 years, and offers a virtually limitless universe of characters and stories to drive continued feature film releases and franchise growth over the long term. Star Wars resonates with consumers around the world and creates extensive opportunities for Disney to deliver the content across its diverse portfolio of businesses including movies, television, consumer products, games and theme parks. Star Wars feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box to date, and continued global demand has made Star Wars one of the world's top product brands, and Lucasfilm a leading product licensor in the United States in 2011. The franchise provides a sustainable source of high quality, branded content with global appeal and is well suited for new business models including digital platforms, putting the acquisition in strong alignment with Disney's strategic priorities for continued long-term growth.

The Lucasfilm acquisition follows Disney's very successful acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel, which demonstrated the company's unique ability to fully develop and expand the financial potential of high quality creative content with compelling characters and storytelling through the application of innovative technology and multiplatform distribution on a truly global basis to create maximum value. Adding Lucasfilm to Disney's portfolio of world class brands significantly enhances the company's ability to serve consumers with a broad variety of the world's highest-quality content and to create additional long-term value for our shareholders.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Lucasfilm have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement has been approved by the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm.

From: http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+Releases/Disney+to+Acquire+Lucasfilm+Ltd./7828436.html

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
"Kennedy, who was made Lucasfilm co-chairman June 1 as heir apparent to Lucas, will also serve as the brand manager for Star Wars"

I don't know anything about this Kennedy guy, but it's already good news for Star Wars fans. :ubik:

Good to see some fresh blood flowing through the Star Wars machine, at least at the top.

Another Star Wars movie though? Ideas on where they'll take the series? I'd love if they dived right into the Old Republic Era. Maybe the Mandalorian wars? Naga Sadow and the rise of the Sith? O the possibility........

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

I have a bad feeling about this.

The series has great potential, sure, but the last 3 films have made me very doubtful of new episodes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JoeZeon said:
Good to see some fresh blood flowing through the Star Wars machine, at least at the top.

Another Star Wars movie though? Ideas on where they'll take the series? I'd love if they dived right into the Old Republic Era. Maybe the Mandalorian wars? Naga Sadow and the rise of the Sith? O the possibility........
It's Episode 7 though, not a prequel. So likely a continuation of where they left off with Jedi.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/10/30/star-wars-three-new-movies-lucas-wont-write-or-direct/

In a nutshell, Disney now owns Star Wars and it will now be franchised on a level unprecedented even for Star Wars. That alone is kind of dreadful. Literally. Like kind of an intimidating thought. You won't be able to go outside without being bombarded by Star Wars crap.

Anyway, as for new movies, I really only put this in here on principle. The idea of someone besides George Lucas making Star Wars movies isn't a bad idea at all, and there's plenty of room to go up. Imagine if they tapped Disney collaborator and Nerd King Joss Weedon. It would bring the Internet down faster than Hurricane Sandy (be safe East coasters, I'm checking your "Last Active" times for peace of mind).

Oburi

All praise Grail
I just feel like its still too soon for new Star Wars movies (it may forever be too soon for me though). The prequels still have this horrid aftertaste. Its like a death in the family, I need more time. I'm just not ready to move on yet, I may never be.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/10/30/star-wars-three-new-movies-lucas-wont-write-or-direct/

In a nutshell, Disney now owns Star Wars and it will now be franchised on a level unprecedented even for Star Wars. That alone is kind of dreadful. Literally. Like kind of an intimidating thought. You won't be able to go outside without being bombarded by Star Wars crap.

Anyway, as for new movies, I really only put this in here on principle. The idea of someone besides George Lucas making Star Wars movies isn't a bad idea at all, and there's plenty of room to go up. Imagine if they tapped Disney collaborator and Nerd King Joss Weedon. It would bring the Internet down faster than Hurricane Sandy (be safe East coasters, I'm checking your "Last Active" times for peace of mind).

Yeah, I didn't really think about anything other than the fact that it could only go up after all the recent shit (not the Gendy Tartakovsky ones, though. I fucking love those). Lucas should have stepped away a long time ago, or at least just add a little bit of input. I know that with the new films he's going to be a creative consultant.

The advertising...my god. I never even thought about that.

Aazealh said:
I have a bad feeling about this.

The series has great potential, sure, but the last 3 films have made me very doubtful of new episodes.

If they go into the expanded universe, then it's pretty exciting. Especially if they make Luke go to the dark side and then come back.

And, also, the return of Boba Fett.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Johnstantine said:
If they go into the expanded universe, then it's pretty exciting. Especially if they make Luke go to the dark side and then come back.

And, also, the return of Boba Fett.
I have a feeling this won't be in the cards. I'm assuming you are referring to Dark Empire? Either way... It would be nice to see that, but how things have been going I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you. :griffnotevil:

Things to remember about Star Wars: George Lucas is a TERRIBLE director. He has no report with actors/actresses and makes scenes feel awkward. He didn't direct Empire or Jedi (arguably, the 2 best SW movies). I actually think the Star Wars universe is much better having him on the side. My only worry is that its Disney that purchased it. I haven't played it yet, but there was HUGE talk about a SW game at E3, that was super dark and kind of noir. I'd like to see SWs get a little darker, not a little cheesier. We'll see. I'm going to remain optimistic, but not episode 1 optimistic.

JudeauChop said:
Things to remember about Star Wars: George Lucas is a TERRIBLE director. He has no report with actors/actresses and makes scenes feel awkward. He didn't direct Empire or Jedi (arguably, the 2 best SW movies). I actually think the Star Wars universe is much better having him on the side. My only worry is that its Disney that purchased it. I haven't played it yet, but there was HUGE talk about a SW game at E3, that was super dark and kind of noir. I'd like to see SWs get a little darker, not a little cheesier. We'll see. I'm going to remain optimistic, but not episode 1 optimistic.

According to

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/disney-acquistion-will-not-affect-star-wars-1313

Projects like Star Wars 1313 will continue as normal.

Interesting to note:

Disney's CEO Bob Iger, speaking on a conference call regarding the buyout, has stated that the company will now focus more on mobile and social development than consoles going forward. Though, as Tech Crunch notes, he also said they'd pursue console games "opportunistically," licensing out the franchise to other companies.

Great Star Wars games are few and far between, when you'd think there should be plenty. This leaves me hopeful for.... light sabres in my Kingdom Hearts =S

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still optimistic, but there is an undeniable stench about this whole ordeal. Still, reading the reactions spread across various forums was pretty depressing. Before any details were out, everyone was joking about suicide. All we knew was that Lucasfilm was selling to Disney. That's it. That's the GOOD part, people. Disney isn't just Mickey Mouse, and Lucas has been holding this franchise down longer than most of the people who are complaining have been alive.

The part that bugs me the most is announcing a timeline for a product that hasn't even been detailed yet. Basically just "more Star Wars stuff so get excited, kids!" I'd call it a poorly disguised marketing ploy, but it's not even disguised. It's strictly a marketing ploy.

That being said, as Griff said earlier, there's a real chance for fresh blood to take over this franchise and breathe some much needed life back into its stale lungs. It's been more machine than man for decades. That's what gets me excited, not "a new Star Wars every 2-3 years."

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I don't really care what Disney buys up, least of all Lucas Film, but the thought of another Star Wars upsets me. The notion that Episode 7 might be great or terrible isn't even crossing my mind, it's just that I cannot possibly be more burnt out on something than I am with Star Wars.

edit: I will at least acknowledged that Disney buying up Lucas Film is probably the best thing that could happen for both parties, so good for them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
I cannot possibly be more burnt out on something than I am with Star Wars.
The next decade is going to be a prettttty rough ride if you're already burnt out :carcus:

MrWeatherby said:
it's just that I cannot possibly be more burnt out on something than I am with Star Wars.

The last movie was 7 years ago. Have you been playing the force unleashed II on infinite repeat or something??

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
frankencowx said:
The last movie was 7 years ago. Have you been playing the force unleashed II on infinite repeat or something??

I have been forced to watch some episodes of The Clone Wars with some of my relatives, and I have to admit how surprised I was with some of the contents. Dare I say that it was more interesting watching than episodes 1-3.

As for Disney... Not exactly happy with the news, specially when Disney even used the word "exploit" in one of the first announces... But the more I think about it, I much rather someone else getting a shot at it VS. George Lucas wanting to make more films.

According to G4, Disney did in fact already said that episode 7 will be "original content".

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
frankencowx said:

I didn't suddenly get burnt out on it over the last day. Star Wars, much like The Simpsons, has been a major part of popular culture for my entire life, and I've been exhausted by it for a long time now. It doesn't help that they have continued to pump out a half-baked CGI shitfest and countless uninspired games that continue to get coverage that is neigh unavoidable both by news outlets and my friends.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
I didn't suddenly get burnt out on it over the last day. Star Wars, much like The Simpsons, has been a major part of popular culture for my entire life, and I've been exhausted by it for a long time now. It doesn't help that they have continued to pump out a half-baked CGI shitfest and countless uninspired games that continue to get coverage that is neigh unavoidable both by news outlets and my friends.
Sure, it's understandable. The vast majority of the spinoffs are garbage. Hell, with the exception of the Zahn books, anything Star Wars related after Jedi is garbage, in my opinion. But Disney has removed the overzealous Lucas factor. Shit will inexorably still be pumped out, but now there's a chance that their headliner movies _won't_ be complete garbage.

That still sounds like an improvement to me.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Walter said:
Sure, it's understandable. The vast majority of the spinoffs are garbage. Hell, with the exception of the Zahn books, anything Star Wars related after Jedi is garbage, in my opinion. But Disney has removed the overzealous Lucas factor. Shit will inexorably still be pumped out, but now there's a chance that their headliner movies _won't_ be complete garbage.

That still sounds like an improvement to me.

Yeah. As I mentioned above, this is the best either party could hope for. Lucas gets his money, Disney gets another cash cow, and fans of Star Wars will for the first time in decades be able to enjoy the franchise without Lucas holding it back. It's just personal preference for me, but I can't deny that the series will be better off without Lucas.

It does still need Jar Jar, though. As we all know, he's the key to all of this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
It does still need Jar Jar, though. As we all know, he's the key to all of this.
How could we forget? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vaq-Uk-9bLM&feature=youtu.be&t=2m22s :ganishka:

I really wonder what made Lucas change his mind though. That's something that hasn't really been discussed. One day he's the overlord of Star Wars, protecting it in his own corrupt way, and the next he freely sells it to another company? I wonder what changed for him.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Walter said:
I really wonder what made Lucas change his mind though. That's something that hasn't really been discussed. One day he's the overlord of Star Wars, protecting it in his own corrupt way, and the next he freely sells it to another company? I wonder what changed for him.
I think it was an ego thing more than anything else. It's not like he needs the money, and judging by how he received criticism about the prequel trilogy, maybe the franchise was becoming more of a hassle to him than it was worth? With the huge offer from Disney, along with the option to hand off all that responsibility to somebody else (he is at retirement age, after all), I think that's what sealed the deal for him... though I'll admit it's not a very dramatic or interesting reason. :guts:

Top Bottom