Dr. Who

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Does anyone else watch this?

I've watched it sporadically over the past few years, but I finally sat down and started really watching it. I made it through the horrible writing of season one, and now, while watching season two, I can see what all the fuss is about.

So, anyone else digging on it?

I really like it. My favorite would be the final season with David Tennant as the Doctor. Although I do think that if Christopher Eccelston had stayed for more more than one Season it might have been even better.
Looking forward to the second half of season 7, the first half was incredible (
well, aside from the last episode... statue of liberty angle anyone?
).

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I've been a fan of that show for pretty much all of living memory. I like the modern stuff best when it finds the comfortable area between 'what? this is pretty silly' and 'OMG EPIC X1000' and least when does both at the same time.

I wish more of the new fandom would spare more than a glance at the oldschool stuff. The majority of it works fine à la carte so it's not like you have to make a huge investment or catch up with an ongoing story. The reluctance seems to be distaste for slower-paced storytelling.

Lithrael said:
I wish more of the new fandom would spare more than a glance at the oldschool stuff. The majority of it works fine à la carte so it's not like you have to make a huge investment or catch up with an ongoing story. The reluctance seems to be distaste for slower-paced storytelling.

That is actually my main problem with the old series.
It is incredible how much time the very first episodes spend to explain certain concepts. Dialogues are long and drawn out, points are repeated again and again... Now don't get me wrong, I know why that is. Back when it was made people didn't have the "sci-fi education" we have now, so of course they needed to take their time explaining things.

However there is another thing: The Doctor. Now I haven't seen most of the older episodes, but those I have seen all had one thing in common: I didn't like the Doctor. Especially the fact that he doesn't seem to be that smart or witty or in any way remarkable other than the fact that he is the Doctor and knows a lot of stuff. The new series just has much better Doctors (all subjective, of course).

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
If you mean the first episodes as in the beginning of the series, yeah, as one of like four channel options at teatime its job was to be tolerable viewing for a very big chunk of the population. It was on once a week in a time with next to no repeats or recorders, so going back over things wasn't a negative. I can't complain about the effect that modern at-will access to shows has had on that kind of thing. It's nice to have a more streamlined style of storytelling.

I'm curious which Doctors you've seen to get the impression he hasn't been smart or witty. One, Two and Five I could see maybe...

So far I've seen episodes with 1, 4 and 5. Maybe I just haven't seen enough, or the wrong episodes... Although I definitely plan on seeing all of them eventually.

Top Bottom