Walter's Son

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What a wild ride the last week has been for me... My wife and I have returned after being (living) in the hospital since last Thursday, Nov. 8. My wife was in a car accident, T-Boned by another driver while turning left.

wreck.jpg

Being 37 weeks pregnant and complaining of a dislocated hip, she was transported to a hospital. She and my son survived, but she was diagnosed with five fractured pelvic bones--the same bones the baby's head would be touching down on in the moments before birth. They monitored her for several days, after which they decided to induce labor, 3 weeks before her due date. Being a midwife, this was pretty shattering news to her, since she wanted to deliver as naturally as possible.

Fast forward three days to Monday, my birthday, and the birth of my son, Kagan. He's 6 lb 11 oz., and 18.7 in. tall. All fingers and toes (no sixth Void finger, oh well). Speaking as objectively as possible, he's a cool little guy, with a very calm temperament. The perfect baby.

kagan.jpg

Those cheeks!
conradON.GIF

kagan2.jpg

kagan3.jpg

clothes.jpg

dark1.jpg

mewithbaby.jpg

Since we just arrived home, everything is still settling in. I kept telling my wife that this is when reality began. Everything at the hospital happens in a surreal manner. Strangers constantly coming in to check on you, you don't get any sleep (I would estimate that I got about 8 hours over the course of the 7 days we were at the hospital), compounded by the fact that traumatic, life-changing experiences often don't take their toll until days later.

cat.jpg

Our cats are still learning about him, realizing what this truly means for them (the jig is up).

As awesome an experience as it was, it of course comes with consequences. Without going into too many details, there was a moment when my wife truly could have died right there in front of me. She was bleeding out, and then had to have an emergency c-section. On top of the injuries from the wreck, my wife's recovery period is about 6-8 weeks or more, during which she will need a walker, and isn't advised to use stairs, drive, etc. So she will need constant attention. I'm taking the next 6 weeks off of work.

I'm both shocked and relieved you all made it out alive. I can't imagine the thoughts running through your head after what happened to you, your wife, and your son. Your family is in all of our thoughts and we all hope for a quick and complete mental and physical recovery.

Congratulations, Walter! Your son looks absolutely handsome! And welcome into the world, Kagan! :ubik:

I'm sorry to hear about all the troubles you two are having. I can only imagine how scary it must have been for you and your wife when she got into the wreck while so far into the pregnancy. That must have been terrible. I sincerely hope your wife recovers as soon as possible.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Congratulations on the kid, and I too hope your wife has a quick and painless recovery.

edit: also holy shit that car got fucked up.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I can hardly believe what I just read-- definitely a surreal experience! I'm very glad to hear that things turned out alright, given the circumstances. In any case, the kid is looking great! I like the name you chose, is there any particular significance to Kagan or did you both just like the sound of it?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Congratulations on the birth of your son. Thanks for sharing this ordeal , I know what it means to have someone at the hospital in that situation. Take care of them and I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I wish you and your wife the best. I'm glad you two made it through all that terrible stuff. Looks like there's a bit of a bumpy road ahead, but I know you guys'll do just fine.

Congratulations.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Congratulations! Through all the hardship things seem to have turned out alright. :guts:

Good luck for both the near and distant future, you'll need it I'm sure. Enjoy the time you get to spend with your son and I hope your wife recovers quickly.

amazing wife, amazing baby, amazing story. walter, despite the tremendous ordeal that the last week has been for you, i'm mighty happy for you and your family. kagan is a cutie, and your wife is a hero. and you, sir, are pretty cool in my book too. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Congratulations again my friend, to you and the lady, whom I wish a speedy recovery. The kid looks great and already has a hell of an story to tell... after he learns to talk, of course. =)

Incredible experience, WOW, had to read all that twice because it was a super scary ride you guys have been through since last week. Glad your wife and Kagan are safe! Congratulations Walter!! Kagan's a sweet name and wish the family all the best in this new chapter of your lives.

That's quite an experience, and a very horrific crash as well. Congratulations on the birth of your son Walter also hope your wife makes a quick and healthy recovery as well. All the best mate.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thank goodness your wife and son survived. I'm so happy for you, Walter. I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery. Rest up and get well soon!

P.S. - Kagan is a bad ass name. :zodd:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Happy Birthday? I can't imagine going through all those incredible highs and lows over year, let alone such a small chunk of time... I'm wishing you, your wife, and your new son all the best! Here's to a speedy recovery, and congratulations on becoming a father! Best of luck going forward!

Oburi

All praise Grail
So whens the next podcast? :troll:

Seriously though that's scary stuff. Glad that everything is okay now. And Congratulations man!

turkitage

ターク
holy shit. That's really scary to read what all happened in such a short period. I'm glad things seem to have calmed down a little bit. Taking 6 weeks off of work to take care of life stuff is probably the smartest thing you'll ever do. I'm glad you'll be able to be there with your family when they need you the most. Congratulations on your son!

Oh man Walter, what a scary read. I am glad to see that your son and your wife are healthy. Congratulations on being a father my friend. Best wishes on your wife's recovery.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Holy Crudcow. Really glad to hear that you guys and the handsome little guy are safe. Sounds like it's going to be a long 6 weeks, but glad that you can be there for her.

Holy crap, that is one hell of a week. A big well done to you and especially your wife for pulling through. I can appreciate that she didn't give birth the way she wanted, but it's good to know that she's safe and your son is healthy. I wish you all the best with your wife coming back up to top form and for Kagan's future.

It's not been a good week for car accidents it would seem, as I was in one myself on Tuesday night :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone. It means a lot. Put a smile on my wife's face. Also, sorry it took me this long to reply. I used to be able to check SKnet at least 5 times a day. Now it's more like once every 2 days...

Since we returned home, we've been able to sleep much more soundly. My mom has flown up to help run errands for us, and we just got the money back from the totaled car, so we'll be hunting down another car soon.

Wife is doing better every day, but it's still a challenge for both of us to care for the kid and her. We're going to get better at it as we go along though.

Grail said:
I like the name you chose, is there any particular significance to Kagan or did you both just like the sound of it?

The name means "small flame." Of course, in Japanese it means... uh, fish market. Sorry kid.

I liked the sound of Kagan from the first time I heard it. It's also a Gaellic name. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Ireland—so that's a place which holds a special significance to us. I'm a quarter Irish, and I'm pretty sure she is too.

In choosing names, my wife had one criteria: The name couldn't be in the top 1000 commonly used baby names, because she was sick of coming across dozens of Joes, Davids and uh... Franks, I guess. So we looked through tons of information on names, and fought with each other on what sounded cool. My one criteria is that we wouldn't be 100% on the name until we met the kid, to be sure the name felt right once he was finally born. It did.

Rhombaad said:
P.S. - Kagan is a bad ass name. :zodd:

Yeah, it could be a Berserk character or something. ケェガン!

Oburi said:
So whens the next podcast? :troll:

Tomorrow, maybe? Depends on how things go, but I'd love to record. Of course, I've done no planning so it'd be pretty scattershot.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
In choosing names, my wife had one criteria: The name couldn't be in the top 1000 commonly used baby names, because she was sick of coming across dozens of Joes, Davids and uh... Franks, I guess.

As a David I'm offended. (My girlfriend says the same exact thing.)

Congratulations on Kagan. Good luck with the recovery and car hunting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Now we're talkin!

Actually, the very first name we settled on years ago was Julian Alexander, named after two conquerors. If it were a girl, it'd be Catherine Elizabeth. But then she wanted to use less commonly used names, and Alex is among the most common, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I can still convince her that Catherine Elizabeth is a pretty awesome name though.

Top Bottom