Episode 333

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Title: 楽土 - Paradise​

Rickert gets a ride from the Falcons, and shows Raban(?) that he was once a member himself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RivFader said:
There is a date for episode 334, right?
Really pisses me off when that's all people care about as soon as we get information on an episode. So I respectfully DENY the request. :femto:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Walter said:
Rickert gets a ride from the Falcons, and shows Raban(?) that he was once a member himself.

This brings more options in what his role will be . As you Gita pointers out, he can be the witness of what's really going on in Falconia.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
What if he confides in Raban (?) that Griffith sacrificed his comrades and became a demon? It certainly would explain all the demons surrounding Griffith. Either way, if it's indeed Raban, it's great to see two people from the "good old days" having some dialogue together. It's why I loved Guts talking to Owen.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Oh yeaaa thats really looking like some Raban action now :guts:

Gobolatula said:
What if he confides in Raban (?) that Griffith sacrificed his comrades and became a demon? It certainly would explain all the demons surrounding Griffith. Either way, if it's indeed Raban, it's great to see two people from the "good old days" having some dialogue together. It's why I loved Guts talking to Owen.

Everyone seems to think that Rickert will show Griffiths side of the story in Falconia and whatnot but it's hard to imagine Rickert going there willingly. He knows the truth about Griffith and he know first hand how dangerous and evil apostles are. Another scenario is that things could go bad for Rickert. What if he's taken prisoner?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Irvine looked absolutely majestic in this episode. Such a badass.

I guess that IS Raban and I'm glad it is. Looked like Rickert recognized him.

This was another visually beautiful episodes. It's another dialogue-filled one, so I can't wait for the translation. I'm glad we got to see more of the world surrounding Falconia. I loved those crystal things shooting out of the ground. I wonder what the hell those things are.

Rickert's face when he saw Falconia was priceless.

Fantastic episode. Hopefully this next break isn't too long. Can't wait for more.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So how about those formations in the ground around Falconia? The mystery about that place deepens... I can't tell if they're just supposed to be crystal formations, or also resemble wings.

Loved the episode. Here's a brief summary:

Irvine dispatches the cockatrice easily. Rickert then seems to recognize that Irvine is an apostle allied with the Falcons, and wonders about the kind of company Griffith is keeping. Suddenly, some harpies attack, and Rickert takes them down himself with the crossbow repeater. He introduces himself to Raban as a former member of the Falcons, and they set off for Falconia, which is surrounded by crystal spikes protruding around it (Raban refers to them as if they are wards or charms protecting the area). Raban calls the tree at the center of it all the World Tree.

Gobolatula said:
I guess that IS Raban and I'm glad it is. Looked like Rickert recognized him.
Yep, it's him. Rickert calls him by name.

Also, the tree is called the WORLD TREE (世界裸旋樹) in this episode by Raban. So yeah, confirmed. There's something peculiar about its wording though. The kanji for rotation is also a part of it, so I'm very interested in an expert's opinion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Something I overlooked during my first reading was that Irvine has taken an interest in Rickert's craftsmanship. Uh oh.
If you're thinking he'll connect Guts and Rickert, well Irvine's never met the big guy before. And I don't think it'd be some treasonous offense or anything.

As for what he noticed about Rickert, who knows. Maybe he sensed that Rickert was wary of him, unlike other humans?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
If you're thinking he'll connect Guts and Rickert, well Irvine's never met the big guy before. And I don't think it'd be some treasonous offense or anything.

As for what he noticed about Rickert, who knows. Maybe he sensed that Rickert was wary of him, unlike other humans?
No, I was talking about that little shot where Irvine goes "ho..." reacting to Rickert shooting down the harpies. Perhaps Irvine will call on Rickert to make him some sweet bows for him. And then Rickert will get sucked into working for the enemy. People have thought that maybe his skills could be used for the new Band of the Falcon, but we all know he wouldn't be too happy with that.

I don't see Rickert being FORCED into working for the new Falcons... but maybe a "nice" apostle like Irvine could somehow charm him into it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Perhaps Irvine will call on Rickert to make him some sweet bows for him. And then Rickert will get sucked into working for the enemy. People have thought that maybe his skills could be used for the new Band of the Falcon, but we all know he wouldn't be too happy with that.

I don't see Rickert being FORCED into working for the new Falcons... but maybe a "nice" apostle like Irvine could somehow charm him into it?
I dunno, given Rickert's abilities with equipment, and his being totally enthusiastic about sharing his background as a former Falcon, the direction he's headed in seems pretty clear to me. I don't think he'd have a big problem becoming a weapons master of some sort. After all, this new world isn't _just_ populated by monsters. He'd be protecting humans as well.

As for Irvine's reaction to his skills, I think it was just that honestly. "A human can fight back?"

On another note, check the corner of Page 11. Reminds me a lot of the Qliphoth.

Also interesting to see farming being done outside the walls of Falconia and there is more than 1 snapshot of it with a whole "this doesn't seem what it looks like" sort to me. Maybe the crystals are what's keeping the grounds immunized from what appears on the corner of Page 11 from the forest close to the field?

Can't wait to read translations for this one and the last 2 episodes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Maybe the crystals are what's keeping the grounds immunized from what appears on the corner of Page 11 from the forest close to the field?
Raban refers to those crystal-looking things as wards or charms protecting the area from creatures (See summary above). Probably more going on there, but that's the minimal amount I can translate on my own.

Seeing how easily Rickert was able to dispatch the harpies with his crossbow, it seems like living in the new world and all its fantastical creatures isn't as unbearable as it first seemed. Or at least with some of the lesser monsters. And on page 11, anyone else thought that the huge tree slug that appears on the bottom left corner looks almost like one of Sea God's? Also on page 16, after all the years of publication, it may just be the first time ever that flourishing crops and fruits have been depicted in Berserk. Great episode, as always.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Herbert said:
Seeing how easily Rickert was able to dispatch the harpies with his crossbow, it seems like living in the new world and all its fantastical creatures isn't as unbearable as it first seemed.
Yeah, for a guy who was trained in warfare, grew up around Guts and learned to make specialized machinery from Godot :guts: Rickert isn't just some kid, afterall.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Irvine looked absolutely majestic in this episode. Such a badass.

Also looked rather ominous on page 5. Good thing for Rickert he wasn't branded. :void:

Walter said:
So how about those formations in the ground around Falconia? The mystery about that place deepens... I can't tell if they're just supposed to be crystal formations, or also resemble wings.

It's crystals who definitely resemble wings in a non-coincidental way. Both unexpected and extremely interesting... I wonder if they'll play another role beyond that of wards, and I'm very curious as to how they work. There might be more to them than being simple repellants.

On another note, I love the shot of flourishing fields and trees heavy with fruit. Hints at a prodigal land versus the harsh wilderness the rest of the world has become/is becoming.

Gobolatula said:
Perhaps Irvine will call on Rickert to make him some sweet bows for him.

I don't think he needs another bow.

Walter said:
On another note, check the corner of Page 11. Reminds me a lot of the Qliphoth.

First thing I thought of as well.

Herbert said:
Seeing how easily Rickert was able to dispatch the harpies with his crossbow, it seems like living in the new world and all its fantastical creatures isn't as unbearable as it first seemed. Or at least with some of the lesser monsters.

He managed to dispatch a few critters with his top-of-the-art equipment, sure. But the previous episode did a good job of showing us the limits of fighting by yourself. Had Irvine not been there, all humans involved would be dead by now.

Herbert said:
And on page 11, anyone else thought that the huge tree slug that appears on the bottom left corner looks almost like one of Sea God's?

It's a snail, but sure I guess. Nothing looks more like a slug than another slug. Obviously there's no relation between the two.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Amazing episode! This really is a monster fest in the world now, getting attacked by trolls, then a cockatrice and right after that harpies... Good luck unskilled people! And like some others mentioned a while ago, it seems pretty likely that Falconia is a safe heaven for the people of Midland (and maybe others regions of the world). Look at that line of people going toward the city.

A question about the winged shaped crystals and the world tree, obviously they are charms as mentioned by Walter in the summary but, wasn't there a whole bunch of mini-ganishka trees around the big one when he died? Did these get switched for the crystals at some point in your opinion? Just curious...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
wasn't there a whole bunch of mini-ganishka trees around the big one when he died? Did these get switched for the crystals at some point in your opinion?

They were near the base of the tree. They're most likely still there; the characters in this episode just didn't pass close-by.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
They were near the base of the tree. They're most likely still there; the characters in this episode just didn't pass close-by.

Okay, I wasn't sure cause we did see a couple of shot of the "legs" of the tree and I couldn't see them. I thought they were gone..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Title is Paradise, in the sense "Idyllic Land".

Summary: People compliment Irvine on what a great shooter he is. Erica is amazed and wonders if he's a monster or a monstrous human, remarking that he seems to be a comrade of the knights. Rickert is rightly shocked, and his companions say that the Falcon does not lead just humans but also monsters. After a close look at Irvine, Rickert is distraught, wondering what's going on with Griffith.

Irvine helps unblocking the road, and Rickert and Erica fix their bowgun. Meanwhile Rickert reminisces about that day, on the Hill of Swords, when he and Guts saw Griffith riding on Nosferatu Zodd, flying high in the sky. How that Griffith isn't like the one they knew. He looks like Griffith, feels like Griffith, but something about him is different, mysterious. He also reflects on the Kushan invasion, the Band of the Falcon liberating the people, etc. Erica, noticing his state of mind, asks him if he's Ok, as he doesn't look good. He then reminds himself that he now has somebody to protect. They're attacked by harpies. Midland, no, the whole world is changing. In this world there's no place where humans can stay safely.

Raban comments on his excellent work. Asks if the bowgun is his and tells him that it's thanks to him that this group of people could survive so far. Rickert recognizes him, asks him if he's lord Raban. Raban says yes and asks him who he is. Rickert tells him that he saw him several times as he took part in the hundred years war. That he was a member of the original band of the falcon (he specifies "original"). Tells him his name is Rickert. Raban replies that he's one of the country-saving heroes. But that now the hundred years war seems like it was a long time ago. Since then their country, no, the whole world has changed. Now it feels like battles between humans (e.g. country to country) don't exist anymore, and like it was a relatively "good" time. But it's too early to despair about the new state of the world.

As they emerge out of the forest, Erica asks what's between the trees. Raban answers that it's called a Wingstone. Erica is excited, says it's a crystal. Raban explains that thanks to these wingstones, monsters don't approach Wyndham. Rickert remarks that they didn't exist before and are recent. Raban then tells them there's one more thing that'll surprise them. The "World Spiral-Tree". The people from the wagon remark that it's huge, higher than several mountains.

As they get closer, they comment that so far they've seen many villages devastated by monsters, but there it's like early spring. Raban says that normally at this time of year, flowers and trees can't grow like that. They don't know why it happens, but they believe it's thanks to the tree. Raban says that Wyndham, no, Falconia, because it's so fertile, is why they can accept so many refugees. He then tells them that in this world, this is the only fort where humans can live a decent, proper life.

jackson_hurley said:
Okay, I wasn't sure cause we did see a couple of shot of the "legs" of the tree and I couldn't see them. I thought they were gone..

We saw them from miles and miles away, and we didn't actually see the base of the tree.

Well it looks like Irvine is using some gooey ear wax from his antlers as string to fire his "arrows." We kinda saw that before but not like this. Pretty cool that he can adjust his antlers for whatever task at hand.

Also those crystals definitely look like wings. It seems like they're all emanating from the same direction. Looks like from the world tree. Wonder if there's a significance to that.

Very cool episode.

Top Bottom