Episode 333

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Well it looks like Irvine is using some gooey ear wax from his antlers as string to fire his "arrows." We kinda saw that before but now like this.

I'd say we totally saw that before...

ApostleBob said:
Also those crystals definitely look like wings. It seems like they're all emanating from the same direction. Looks like from the world tree. Wonder if there's a significance to that.

Yeah they're "coming" from the tree, and I'm already certain there's more to them than we've been told.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fantastic summary, Aaz. Can't believe I overlooked the term "wingstones" in my reading. :schierke: There's a wealth of knowledge being disseminated in this episode, and not having all the answers up front was tantalizing :mozgus: Miura keeps trumping our expectations for this new world, and all it does is make me want more, more, more.

One thing in particular that caught my eye is how the wingstones create a perpetual hospitable season. That reminded me of the environment around Flora's tree mansion. Perhaps that's one of the reason Griffith sought to eliminate her—she could have offered an alternative to his safe haven for humans.

ApostleBob said:
Also those crystals definitely look like wings. It seems like they're all emanating from the same direction. Looks like from the world tree. Wonder if there's a significance to that.
They're all leaning in a particular direction (crystals tend to do that). But they're not leaning in the direction of the world spiral-tree. Check page 19.

Oburi said:
Thanks Aaz for that great, no, AMAZING summary. :troll:
Well, that's the way Raban is wording things in his own explanation :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
They're all leaning in a particular direction (crystals tend to do that). But they're not leaning in the direction of the world spiral-tree. Check page 19.

They're all leaning away from it, radiating like after-effects of the blast. :carcus:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, that was a fast exit for the cockatrice. I thought we'd be moving on quickly but page 2? That's impressive, might even be a record. Anyway, really digging the wingstone wards and the glowing appearance of the tree; a truly supernatural, alien landscape that looks more home to Locus than anything else (besides Griff, of course).

As for Rickert's predicament, I don't think he ever had his mind made up about Griffith as one might think he should given what he knows. For one thing, his knowledge of Griffith's dirty deeds are all second hand, and as Guts smartly observed, Rickert can't hate Griffith the way he does. Plus, the last thing Rickert saw "Griffith" do before leaving was save Casca, and then Rickert intervened on his behalf when Guts shot at him. Sure, Rickert learned the truth after that, but I don't think it's that simple for him considering Griffith is as much his family as Guts or Erica. Rickert saw Guts going through what he considered some pretty dark changes, and in Griffith's case I expect he'd want to come to an understanding of his own, learn about not only what Griffith's done, but why. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he gives Griffith the benefit of the doubt, albeit while noticing incongruities others may not. In short, he still has more questions than answers. Plus, it's not like Rickert has much choice. Resistance is futile and all. :griffnotevil:

And speaking of questions, when last they met Griffith had one for Rickert, and he may be expecting an answer. :femto: :daiba:

I love how Falconia, the plains around it, and the World Tree are so jaw dropping beautiful, but the sky looks so dark and ominous. Maybe Miura is conveying something here. :carcus:

Making the fields around the city to be in permanent springtime to feed the ever growing population...what a brilliant plan. The Godhand truly engineered everything in Falconia to contain huge amounts of people. Drawing the majority of the human population in their "protective arms" is really a crucial part of their plan, isn't it?

And damn, that foreshadowing of the dark sphere inside Falconia again. The dome of Griffith's palace, or something else? I hope when Rickert enters Falconia in the next episode that we'll finally get to take a look at it!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So much to talk about... Well, that's what we have a podcast for :ubik:

Griffith said:
As for Rickert's predicament, I don't think he ever had his mind made up about Griffith as one might think he should given what he knows. For one thing, his knowledge of Griffith's dirty deeds are all second hand, and as Guts smartly observed, Rickert can't hate Griffith the way he does. Plus, the last thing Rickert saw "Griffith" do before leaving was save Casca, and then Rickert intervened on his behalf when Guts shot at him. Sure, Rickert learned the truth after that, but I don't think it's that simple for him considering Griffith is as much his family as Guts or Erica.
Is he still though? You've already said as much, but I think Rickert is still sorting out this new Griffith. I wonder what feelings Rickert will have when he encounters him again. He's already wondering about this _new_ Griffith. Rough translation of his line in this episode recalling the meeting on the hill of swords is something like: "He was different from the Griffith I knew, and yet somehow he was even more Griffith than before." (オレ達知っている グリフィスとは何処が違う... それでいてより グリフィスらしい... 不思議な印象だった)

Rickert saw Guts going through what he considered some pretty dark changes, and in Griffith's case I expect he'd want to come to an understanding of his own, learn about not only what Griffith's done, but why. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he gives Griffith the benefit of the doubt, albeit while noticing incongruities others may not. In short, he still has more questions than answers. Plus, it's not like Rickert has much choice. Resistance is futile and all. :griffnotevil:
Of all the people in Falconia, I think Rickert is in a good position to ask Griffith how he made this all happen. I just wonder if he will, or if they'll even have that talk at all.

Another thing though, Rickert has had some bad encounters with apostles before. He'll certainly be uncomfortable around them. I'm pretty sure the reaction we got from him seeing Irvine transform was him sensing that same atmosphere as an apostle. But Griffith is the man who has the apostles under his thumb. I wonder if that will work in his favor or detriment in Rickert's eyes...?

And speaking of questions, when last they met Griffith had one for Rickert, and he may be expecting an answer. :femto: :daiba:
Well, I doubt Rickert would have made that long journey if he intended to turn him down. "Afterall, now I have something to protect."

Griffith said:
a truly supernatural, alien landscape that looks more home to Locus than anything else (besides Griff, of course).

Funny, the first thing I thought of when I saw those crystals was Grunbeld, and it looks like no one has even mentioned him ! Not for any deeper significance or anything, just from a pure aesthetic reason with it being crystal.

Thanks Walter and Aaz for getting up the pics and summaries! A really nice Holiday season treat ! :guts: Can't wait to hear your discussion in the podcast.

I was really surprised when I saw Rickert's expression when showing Raban the Hawks insignia, he does seem quite excited all things considered. With all the crazy things happening though, I guess regular civilians must not be in the greatest state of mind, just trying to comprehend all these changes. Especially Rickert who wasn't a part of the war with apostles and Ganishka to see Griffith take charge and calm the people that way. He is just trying to keep Erica safe with monsters all over the place, and last time on the Hill of Swords with Zodd and Griffith...his mind must be a mess but he seems to be keeping his cool. I take it any chance to seek some familiarity must seem nice, but he should really heed Guts words about Griffith and be careful.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Is he still though? You've already said as much, but I think Rickert is still sorting out this new Griffith. I wonder what feelings Rickert will have when he encounters him again. He's already wondering about this _new_ Griffith. Rough translation of his line in this episode recalling the meeting on the hill of swords is something like: "He was different from the Griffith I knew, and yet somehow he was even more Griffith than before." (オレ達知っている グリフィスとは何処が違う... それでいてより グリフィスらしい... 不思議な印象だった)

One way to say it would be "he was truer to himself than before". The implication of this in Japanese is that Rickert didn't really know Griffith before (which was clear even back then and not limited to Rickert), that he's seeing him under a new light now. Seeing the "real" Griffith. It's pretty subtle but what it hints at is not a feeling of familiarity and trust. Rickert is wary, and he's right to be.

Walter said:
Another thing though, Rickert has had some bad encounters with apostles before. He'll certainly be uncomfortable around them. I'm pretty sure the reaction we got from him seeing Irvine transform was him sensing that same atmosphere as an apostle. But Griffith is the man who has the apostles under his thumb. I wonder if that will work in his favor or detriment in Rickert's eyes...?

Honestly I don't think Rickert is going to be very comfortable with all that business. He was disturbed by Irvine and I don't see those feelings going away in the future. His thoughts on page 6 are pretty telling I think: "What the hell are you doing, Griffith?"

Walter said:
Well, I doubt Rickert would have made that long journey if he intended to turn him down. "Afterall, now I have something to protect."

Hmm, I don't know about that. Griffith proposed him to join the new Band of the Falcon, but that was then. The conflict with the Kushans was about to start; the context was completely different. And Rickert didn't take the offer. He's now going to Falconia because he has no other choice, but that doesn't mean that there's still an opportunity for him to join the Band of the Falcon (does it still even exist as a simple "band" anymore?) or that he's interested in doing so as opposed to staying by Erica and living a simple life. Besides he'll be under Griffith's general rule either way, so honestly I'm not sure this is still relevant at all.

Draculoid said:
Funny, the first thing I thought of when I saw those crystals was Grunbeld, and it looks like no one has even mentioned him ! Not for any deeper significance or anything, just from a pure aesthetic reason with it being crystal.

I thought of him as well, but like you said there's no significance to it, so no reason to mention it either.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Man this episode is almost unreal. Even though we knew it was most likely coming it's still unbelievable. Rickert has arrived in Falconia! And what a sight it is. Only Miura could create such an incredible sense of atmosphere with the landscape around the city. Not just the crystals but with the sky being clouded and dark with only bits of sunlight passing through. It's actually very strange seeing all this futile farmland growing under such a dark and eerie sky. Truly representative of Griffith's kingdom.

I was really shaking my head in disbelief and awe at those final pages. My reaction was probably not unlike Rickert's reaction in the story (and I knew it was coming!).

Griffith

Surakemastura said:
And damn, that foreshadowing of the dark sphere inside Falconia again. The dome of Griffith's palace, or something else? I hope when Rickert enters Falconia in the next episode that we'll finally get to take a look at it!

Rickert is an ideal candidate to be our window into Falconia. He knows what we know, and can look at everything a bit more suspiciously than the rest of the masses coming in. It'll be interesting to see how they sell the... social makeup of the city.

Walter said:
Is he still though? You've already said as much, but I think Rickert is still sorting out this new Griffith.

From Griffith or Rickert's perspective? =) Probably neither anymore, but it's a strong connection and like I said I think their past together buys Griffith a little benefit of the doubt. Just enough that Rickert is conflicted and curious rather than heading for the hills like some thought he should.

Walter said:
But Griffith is the man who has the apostles under his thumb. I wonder if that will work in his favor or detriment in Rickert's eyes...?

I'm going with the latter, at least in Rickert's eyes (his brain might tell him to go along). I think Rickert is a pretty pure soul, and it would be hard for him to get past that even if its in his own best interest. Still, I can see him going along for a while since he has little choice. He has Erica to consider, it's just a matter of determining whether it's ultimately safer outside the walls than in. At least there won't be any awkward run-ins with the Count or Rochine.

Draculoid said:
I was really surprised when I saw Rickert's expression when showing Raban the Hawks insignia, he does seem quite excited all things considered.

Well, his pride in being a Falcon isn't surprising, and it's not synonymous with loyalty to Griffith; on the contrary, as we well know, it can be quite sore spot with former members. :guts:

Aazealh said:
Hmm, I don't know about that. Griffith proposed him to join the new Band of the Falcon, but that was then. The conflict with the Kushans was about to start; the context was completely different. And Rickert didn't take the offer. He's now going to Falconia because he has no other choice, but that doesn't mean that there's still an opportunity for him to join the Band of the Falcon (does it still even exist as a simple "band" anymore?) or that he's interested in doing so as opposed to staying by Erica and living a simple life. Besides he'll be under Griffith's general rule either way, so honestly I'm not sure this is still relevant at all.

I'm more interested in the qualifier to the question, which is still relevant, Rickert's reaction to learning the truth and what he plans to do about it. Basically, is he with him or against him, in or out. Rickert doesn't have much of an alternative, but I'm curious if Griffith even has any interest in Rickert's response. Or, is Griff just going to warmly/fakely say hello, ignore the whole thing, and continue acting like some creepy Count Dracula, "Velcome..." :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Basically, is he with him or against him, in or out.

I don't know if it's that simple though. We already know that he doesn't have a choice: he has to go to Falconia because no other place is safe. But that doesn't mean he has to fervently adulate Griffith. And that middle way is how I see things going. Him being there, going with the flow, doing his part for the common good (whether that's working in a small shop or the king's smithery), but remaining cautious and alert all the while.

Griffith said:
Rickert doesn't have much of an alternative, but I'm curious if Griffith even has any interest in Rickert's response. Or, is Griff just going to warmly/fakely say hello, ignore the whole thing, and continue acting like some creepy Count Dracula, "Velcome..." :griffnotevil:

Well like you said he won't have much of a choice either way. Even if it's just Raban who asks him to help build defensive war machinery to protect the citizens (or even just make weapons for the city's guard), would Rickert say no? I'm pretty sure he'd do it. And again he wouldn't really have a choice. In the utopian city all citizens serve the common good to the best of their ability, right? And he has Erica to think of. =) This almost reads too perfectly, and makes me all the more curious as to what Falconia will be like.

Orderly, no poor people, no bad neighborhoods... No taverns? No alcohol, no brawls? No fun times... There will have to be a point of contention somewhere. :slan: It will be very interesting to make a parallel between its social life and that of Wyndham and Vritannis. It could go in so many different ways, but what we can be sure of is that it will be unlike any city we've seen so far.

As for Griffith, I'm still wondering whether Rickert will see him and especially how it will happen. Is the god-king standing at the door all day long to welcome in the unwashed masses? Is Rickert going to receive a special treatment and be taken to a gigantic throne room? Or will he just see him as one of the common folk: from afar, from below, more distant and magnificent than ever?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
All this talk makes me think of one thing that I think we will see at some point and now that Rickert has come to falconia we might see his reactions to it (I know it's a bit off topic but still is related at some point) : the wedding! The pontiff said that Griffith and Charlotte were to be wed together at some point. Bit now that Falconia is the safest place for the people to be, will it still happen? Does Griffith still care at this point?

Also, on how the city runs, do you guys think it will at some point become like the Gaiseric story become a "vice city" (lacking the good words here) or something?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
the wedding! The pontiff said that Griffith and Charlotte were to be wed together at some point. Bit now that Falconia is the safest place for the people to be, will it still happen? Does Griffith still care at this point?
The wedding was always important, as it would solidify his legitimacy as a ruler to all classes of society. Of course in this new world it doesn't hold as much weight probably, but it will still have its merits. This god like savior taking the hand of the lost princess--both of them the key to restoring balance to the country. That's weighty stuff.

Also, on how the city runs, do you guys think it will at some point become like the Gaiseric story become a "vice city" (lacking the good words here) or something?
Could you elaborate on what you mean? A short answer is that this seeming paradise was created by the God Hand, so I can't imagine it will stay paradise for long. How that specifically manifests I don't think anyone can answer.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
The pontiff said that Griffith and Charlotte were to be wed together at some point. Bit now that Falconia is the safest place for the people to be, will it still happen? Does Griffith still care at this point?

The real questions are:

1) Has it already occurred or has it yet to take place?
2) How much of it will we see? (somewhat extensively or just briefly mentioned).

jackson_hurley said:
Also, on how the city runs, do you guys think it will at some point become like the Gaiseric story become a "vice city"

I think so yeah. Someday Griff will get on Zodd's back, and as he takes off Billie Jean will start playing. :isidro:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
In the utopian city all citizens serve the common good to the best of their ability, right? And he has Erica to think of. =) This almost reads too perfectly, and makes me all the more curious as to what Falconia will be like.

I'm very curious to see this as well, particularly through Rickert's eyes. So far, so good. I wonder how hard a sell living with Apostles has to be, or if things are genuinely peaceful. Let's get down to it though, once it was confirmed that Falconia is now the beacon of the world where all humans are gathering, one word at least flashed in everyone's mind: SACRIFICE! :void:

Aazealh said:
Orderly, no poor people, no bad neighborhoods... No taverns? No alcohol, no brawls? No fun times... There will have to be a point of contention somewhere. :slan:

The all-you-can-eat human buffet could be a source of tension. :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
As for Griffith, I'm still wondering whether Rickert will see him and especially how it will happen. Is the god-king standing at the door all day long to welcome in the unwashed masses? Is Rickert going to receive a special treatment and be taken to a gigantic throne room? Or will he just see him as one of the common folk: from afar, from below, more distant and magnificent than ever?

Nobody sees him! He floats at the center of the giant Falconia orb of power:

00008.jpg

Sorry.

jackson_hurley said:
The pontiff said that Griffith and Charlotte were to be wed together at some point. Bit now that Falconia is the safest place for the people to be, will it still happen? Does Griffith still care at this point?

So far Griffith has been consistent about the image he's put forth, only "breaking character" the one time with Ganishka. I don't see any indication that's changed now, even though he's incorporated Apostles into the mix. To me, the bigger question as it pertains to people like Rickert or Charlotte is whether or not Griffith/Femto has a genuine affinity for them (even just as some kind of trophies), or if his behavior towards them is merely a function of Femto's Griffith mask. Will Rickert get the warm welcome of an old friend because that's what he is, or because that's what a human would do? Does Griffith even care to scrutinize Rickert's feelings or loyalty to him, or is the matter just completely beneath him either way? We'll see. I hope they talk, since it's a rare opportunity for Griffith to speak candidly with someone that's a little more in the loop than most (though not enough that he's a liability).

Speaking of that and Falconia politics, I'm curious how they would handle someone that is a liability or a criminal; is the threat of expulsion enough to keep complete control? It would certainly seem a more just and utopian way of handling things than jails or execution, though it's actually very harsh (arguably certain death) and could be applied for all kinds of minor offenses under the pretense that YOU were the one that had a problem and couldn't live there under the rules. Of course, once they're outside the walls you can just send some Apostles to eat them anyway. :griffnotevil:

jackson_hurley said:

As suggested above, perhaps it's to be run into the ground in similar fashion.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Orderly, no poor people, no bad neighborhoods... No taverns? No alcohol, no brawls? No fun times... There will have to be a point of contention somewhere. :slan: It will be very interesting to make a parallel between its social life and that of Wyndham and Vritannis. It could go in so many different ways, but what we can be sure of is that it will be unlike any city we've seen so far.

that's the contrary of what I had in mind. Like the gaiseric story but without the heavy taxing cause I doubt at this point taxing people will be of any use. And then at some point the city will get "punish". You know as in the past but differently. I'm sorry I don't have access to my volumes and I'm having a hard time explaining in simple words what I have in mind...

Griffith said:
Speaking of that and Falconia politics, I'm curious how they would handle someone that is a liability or a criminal; is the threat of expulsion enough to keep complete control? It would certainly seem a more just and utopian way of handling things than jails or execution, though it's actually very harsh (arguably certain death) and could be applied for all kinds of minor offenses under the pretense that YOU were the one that had a problem and couldn't live there under the rules. Of course, once they're outside the walls you can just send some Apostles to eat them anyway. :griffnotevil:

I like that scenario!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
that's the contrary of what I had in mind. Like the gaiseric story but without the heavy taxing cause I doubt at this point taxing people will be of any use. And then at some point the city will get "punish". You know as in the past but differently. I'm sorry I don't have access to my volumes and I'm having a hard time explaining in simple words what I have in mind...

Don't worry, I know exactly what you mean. And sure, it's possible. Especially if people are somehow left to their own devices (e.g. a pseudo-democratic rule). There's potential for bad things to happen in both extremes: if the rule is too strict or too loose, if there's corruption or injustice, etc. Many different things could go wrong. That being said I think it's a bit early to be having this conversation. That an evil scheme is afoot is a given, but it won't be showing its head right away.

Griffith said:
Let's get down to it though, once it was confirmed that Falconia is now the beacon of the world where all humans are gathering, one word at least flashed in everyone's mind: SACRIFICE! :void:

I didn't even think about it actually, but it sure would be a sight to behold. Someday, all of a sudden:

Human: Hey what's going on? Why are those horns blaring? Why are the gates to the city closing?
Apostle: It's party tiiiiime! :beast:

Griffith said:
Nobody sees him! He floats at the center of the giant Falconia orb of power

Alright, next unanswerable question: what clothes is he wearing? What style? Surely he's not wearing his armor all the time anymore. So, something classical, maybe inspired by ancient Greek or Roman clothing? Something not unlike what was worn in Wyndham before? Or something more futuristic, to go along with the city's architecture? Something grand, rich and elaborate, or stark and simple?

Griffith said:
Does Griffith even care to scrutinize Rickert's feelings or loyalty to him, or is the matter just completely beneath him either way? We'll see.

I tend to think he won't really care, but if he did it would be interesting to see.

Griffith said:
Speaking of that and Falconia politics, I'm curious how they would handle someone that is a liability or a criminal; is the threat of expulsion enough to keep complete control? It would certainly seem a more just way of handling things than jailing or execution, leaving them to the wilderness outside rather than getting their blood on your hands directly. And once they're outside the walls you can just send some Apostles to eat them anyway.

Forced labor in dangerous conditions? Patrolling the frontier under an apostle's command? Simply "disappearing" (in the belly of a couple "royal guards") could work too. Or being "enrolled" in the "special corps", Daka-style. Everybody gets their beherit when entering the city!

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I didn't even think about it actually, but it sure would be a sight to behold. Someday, all of a sudden:

Human: Hey what's going on? Why are those horns blaring? Why are the gates to the city closing?
Apostle: It's party tiiiiime! :beast:

Yeah man, the ultimate human sacrifice: all humanity! But to what end...? OH SHIT:

305preview.jpg

Think if I change the filename to 405preview.jpg it could work again? :iva:

Aazealh said:
Alright, next unanswerable question: what clothes is he wearing? What style? Surely he's not wearing his armor all the time anymore. So, something classical, maybe inspired by ancient Greek or Roman clothing? Something not unlike what was worn in Wyndham before? Or something more futuristic, to go along with the city's architecture? Something grand, rich and elaborate, or stark and simple?

ghaleon11volksfull.jpg

gutsbarf.gif

Seriously though, I'm way too excited about this subject. I hope he wears gaudy epaulets that form a replica of the Falconia skyline; all on his shoulders. :ganishka:

Really clever: Build a city which is the only safe place so everyone has to live there or monsters will kill them. :ubik:

I don't think Falconia will be that good in the long run. I can imagine that there will be strict rules and if you break them Apostels will eat you. So in the end there will be nothing but fear and sooner or later people will wish they were free from Griffith and the apostels but they can't go anywhere because outside of Falconia are monsters. :magni: They are trapped.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Irvine said:
I don't think Falconia will be that good in the long run. I can imagine that there will be strict rules and if you break them Apostels will eat you. So in the end there will be nothing but fear and sooner or later people will wish they were free from Griffith and the apostels but they can't go anywhere because outside of Falconia are monsters. :magni: They are trapped.
I guess on paper that makes some sort of sense. But fleshing it out... what kind of rules? No black shirts on Tuesdays or Zoddo gets a snacko? :zodd: Pray at Falcon Church on Wednesdays or Rakshas Eatsyas? :rakshas: I'd be let down if the God Hand's evil plan was just to gather humans in a big room and have them play an elaborate game of Simon Says over a den of hungry apostles.

I have to imagine the nature of the curveball ahead that's going to make Falconia an oppressive place to live hasn't yet reared its head, so it's difficult for us to pinpoint what it could be. Could we have predicted wingstones, for example? Anyway, there are still other factors to consider as well, like what role will the God Hand play in this new world, and as always, WHAT'S IN THAT DOME?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Yeah man, the ultimate human sacrifice: all humanity! But to what end...? OH SHIT:

IoE-Tree.jpg

A "spiral-tree" indeed. :magni:

And I'm not even completely joking here; I genuinely think there's a connexion. If not to the Idea of Evil itself, then at least to the Vortex of Souls (although does one really go without the other?). Especially considering how it came to be: Ganishka going "down there" and bringing back more evil power than he could contain. Not to mention that the kanji for "spiral" used here also means "helix". :slan:

The boons of the tree would then be fueled by... human souls? Who knows. I certainly wonder what kind of fruit grows from the monster-trees at the foot of the World Spiral-Tree. And speaking of the idyllic vista we witnessed in this episode, was I the only one to be reminded of Rochine's misty valley? Flowers blooming all year long, a weather always mild...

Anyways, regarding Falconia itself, I'm wondering exactly just how many people can it house, and where they'll all come from. Only Midland? Or is it going to be a multicultural city with people from Tudor and other neighboring countries, and of course whatever Kushans were left after the invasion. Futhermore, will they all retain some of their former cultures to form a melting pot or is it going to be more of a general assimilation: "united as Falconians"? Again, many possibilities lay before us... All of them extremely interesting! :guts:

Speaking of other countries, we've actually seen little of the world so far. I wonder how bigger places like Vritannis or some of the Holy See's city-states are faring. Are these wastelands now? I could picture Tudor as being devastated and having become the domain of Conrad, for example (the other members of the God Hand have got to be doing something, right?). I'm really curious to see how the world at large is coping with Fantasia, whether some places hold out with the help of benevolent astral creatures, some resort to following strange and evil cults (like how the heretics worshipped Slan as their "fire goddess" in the Conviction arc), etc.

One thing that sprang to my mind when reading Raban's lines though is that not all of mankind might be helpless in this new world. There are people who've relied on their own skills and flesh to survive for a very long time. Who've adapted to very harsh conditions before. I speak of course of the Bakiraka. Silat wasn't keen on following the Falcon, nor on trusting things that are incomprehensible to human knowledge. Given all of this, I wonder how they are faring. Shunning Falconia and living in the wilderness... That would be fitting for them. Especially if they got their hands on a certain Daiba, whose knowledge of magic, however limited, could serve them well.

One last thing: going back to the previously speculated extermination of any and every astral beings (and humans associating with them), could it be that it would remove whatever leeway there currently is to causality in the world? Elements not included in an otherwise purely human equation? Could getting rid of them make the will of the Idea of Evil absolute? Just some food for thought. :slan:

Top Bottom