King Of Fighters discussion

Back in 8th grade, I couldn't handle higher levels of the Marathi language and decided to go to a home tutor. Right outside her apartment was an open arcade with 4/5 arcade machines. Metal Slug and it's various versions that came out as years passed by has been 1 fixed game and the other - King Of Fighters. Back then they had 94' and every year or two years they'd go higher - all the way through 2000 or 2001. So, I'd spend 5 rupees once a week on a game, and lose terribly each week. One of the regs showed me a couple of basic moves for team Brazil (the team I'd frequently pick because of Ralf and Heidern's BRUTAL power move where he'd shout "Go To Hell!". We'd actually wait for regs to play against each other and be enthralled whenever we saw that specific Heidern move (the same move looked cool in 95 and 99 but looked SO tacky in those other years). The music on 94 IS the best the game has put out in all these years. The game play got better in 95 and the main draw was Iori's and his team since they were new. Counter's were incredible, opened up possibilities on moves and what not, so it was a step in the right direction from 94. Then came 96 which paled in comparison to 94/ 95 in a big way. I mean, the graphics, game play, music were awful. Goenitz was an interesting boss, not as menacing as Rugal but cool enough. Playing with Geese was a good throw back from Fatal Fury I'll admit, not redeeming enough to praise the game as a whole. 97 was pretty cool because the game play was improved a lot and you had new characters to play with. It was very competitive in versus mode. 98 was a turd, alike 97 but 99 redeemed the franchise. It was the smoothest so far in game play, counters included and the character design was awesome - an overall MUCH better game. Character design sucked on 96, 97 and 98. I played a bit of 2000 when it came out but couldn't get into the craze people had for Kula (if I remember right or Ramon or someone), I'd see players choose them frequently I think because they were new characters. With 99 it was K's team. Anyway, I always go back to 94, 95 and 99 for nostalgia and it's come to a point where I just hit the "?" because I know the moves for every player on those versions. Last year I picked up the new KOF game (XIII was it?) and that came with a bunch of different buttons to press and blah blah that would excite fans of fighting games of today. Doesn't do it for me. It's good for people who turn the joystick pressing buttons aimlessly like they'd do on Street Fighter/ Tekken games these days. Forget Ralf looking like he's on steroids, the game play is disappointing. Classic game combos looked a lot better, maneuvered a lot better without being over the top. I kind of find myself wanting to go back to the speed or way characters would interact with each other in a fight in those older KOF versions but that's just me.

I don't know a lot about multiplayer gaming on fighting games except to have tried it on a Tekken game or a SF vs Tekken game where it lagged and took the fun out of it, whether it's playing someone who's supposed to be in your own class or randomly. How does KOF's multiplayer gaming hold up?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, that's a big wall of text. Are you asking about how KOF online gaming is? And for which KOF??? I particularly like Capcom vs SNK 2, has a good selection of KOF characters.

To me, one of the most intriguing aspects of KOF was always its ludicrously difficult library of final bosses. Some of them are mind numbingly aggravating, but victory was ever so rewarding.

I remember playing KoF 97 on my Saturn religiously for quite awhile. We actually had a Saturn set up in the football locker room at my high school, and there were some epic tournaments that went down. Good times, I just wish pixel based fighters weren't all but dead, although my reflexes are no longer good enough to let me compete at the level I used to.

Also, I think he's asking about the online multiplayer now that the KoF games are available for the modern systems, and I can't answer that because I haven't played them and don't own a PS3 anymore. Hopefully someone can help him out?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Living in Mexico I had access to all those Neo Geo Fighters, Fatal Fury,World Heroes,Art of Fighting etc.. So when KOF '94 came out I was excited about it. I wasn't that good on the arcade but I had fun playing it, I was getting used to the dodge missile button and the new characters I didn't know about. I played the later games on emulators, 94,97,and 99 are my favorites. Haven't played the new ones, but I doubt I will.

frankencowx said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about, that's a big wall of text. Are you asking about how KOF online gaming is? And for which KOF??? I particularly like Capcom vs SNK 2, has a good selection of KOF characters.

To me, one of the most intriguing aspects of KOF was always its ludicrously difficult library of final bosses. Some of them are mind numbingly aggravating, but victory was ever so rewarding.

To discuss anything or everything about KOF basically. Who you prefer playing with/ favorite teams and what not. Like 94 is the only version where you had to pick the whole team! I liked Rugal in 94 and 95, the Orochi bloodline bosses were pretty lame. Goenitz was fun to watch because of those tornados and I'd try to outdo him with a Red Max Fatality by Joe Higashi ... tornado vs tornado haha! I didn't know Capcom vs SNK 2 had KOF/ Fatal Fury characters, guess that's worth looking into.

Death May Die said:
My favorite was KOF 99 on Dreamcast. I always played as Regal. Speaking of which, the KOF movie was of course a disaster.

Just looked it up and it looks different than the Neo Geo 99 version, very interesting. Rugal's a badass, UNFAIR to play against haha!

TelegramSam said:
I remember playing KoF 97 on my Saturn religiously for quite awhile. We actually had a Saturn set up in the football locker room at my high school, and there were some epic tournaments that went down. Good times, I just wish pixel based fighters weren't all but dead, although my reflexes are no longer good enough to let me compete at the level I used to.

It's also harder to keep up with the newer versions of the game because Combos or Fatality moves may look the same but the buttons to be pressed are a lot more and it's not like it used to be. I can't keep up with that sort of stuff >_<'

TheBranded1 said:
Living in Mexico I had access to all those Neo Geo Fighters, Fatal Fury,World Heroes,Art of Fighting etc.. So when KOF '94 came out I was excited about it. I wasn't that good on the arcade but I had fun playing it, I was getting used to the dodge missile button and the new characters I didn't know about. I played the later games on emulators, 94,97,and 99 are my favorites. Haven't played the new ones, but I doubt I will.

Art Of Fighting and Fatal Fury ... nice nice, Geese and Terry were always badasses.

Nightcrawler's a fan from what I remember.

PSP has The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga with 94-97... I think. I have very little KOF knowledge. But I'm going to pick that up at some point.

Top Bottom