Beast?

P

psymont

i would like to hear some theories on the beast, what it is and its origin ....

i know that it is guts' dark side, but is it actually a demon that worked its way into guts mind or is guts just crazy(schitzo)? is it looking to dominate or be symbiotic? is it guts' true desire?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
beast: a jumbled response

Guts' ID. From the darkness of Guts' life, it gained an inhuman darkness of its own. It was allways there to a degree, but it was a human Id, not a monster Id.

Guts made the id stronger because it served his pourposes. Now he needs his humanity, but the Id doesn't want to be forsaken, and is fighting back.

I think the Id found a way to manifest itself using the ghosts. Making it even stronger. Having become inhuman, it takes an inhuman form.

I think it sticks to the DS because of the death that the DS has brought. There must be a good suply of ghosts for the Id to use for power.

The Id is the anti-thesis of the superego, the counterpart that allows you to live in society. The more people around, the weaker the Id.

P

psymont

thats pretty insightful majin ....

how about it being of a dog form? isnt there some kinda meanig behind that?

Majin_Tenshi

Actualy, come to think of it, that is rather interesting. A wolf...

A wolf is a pack animal... Don't have a clue what to do with that though.... The superego is the "pack" part of the subconscience, the Id is individual desires....

P

psymont

i seem to recall that a dog has a symbolic nature to it in the far east ....

anyone ever seen ther anime "hakaden(dog warriors)"? .... they carried on about the sybolism of the dog, ach, i forget though ....

it could be a wolf i guess

wolf eh? i dont know .... well guts killed a pack of them near deaths door after killing gambino right? connection, hmmm?

Majin_Tenshi

nah, i bet thats just a coincedence.

the snout seems a bit pointed for a wolf though, maybe its supposed to be another type of canine.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Now this thread is right up my alley. First, here's the description of the Beast from the FAQ:

“The Beast is no mere demon or ghoul, it is a manifestation of all the hatred and evil that dwells within Guts’ own soul; the monster he has become as a result of the life he’s led as the Black Swordsman. During those times, Guts and the Beast were in complete harmony; one in body and mind. The conflict came about when Guts tried to return to a more civilized existence with Casca. Guts’ quest for vengeance had changed him; he became apathetic about his horridness actions, they were a necessity to his survival after all, but that acceptance was only the first step. After time, things he was barely capable of before were now only second nature to him. The Beast continually urges Guts to give in to his darkest desires; to kill/abandon Casca and return to his hunt for vengeance without concern for anything else. And though Guts resists, he can’t help but hear. Guts doesn’t just become the beast when he slaughters Apostles anymore, it is now a permanent aspect of his personality, whether he likes it or not.”

Couldn't have said it better myself. This makes even more sense now that we know how feelings in the physical world can affect the spiritual world; Guts hatred creating this beastly spirit within himself. The Beast is the most complicated character in the series from a literary standpoint; considering he actually exists in the physicality of the story, but at the same time he’s a literary device representing Guts’ dark side to the audience. He also protects Guts’ from looking too bad; separating his character from his evil actions. For example, imagine if Miura had depicted Guts’ assault on Casca without using the Beast. In the reality of the situation; Guts lost it and almost raped Casca, but the way it was presented, he was “possessed by the Beast.” The blame falls on the monster, and the consequences on Guts; making him appear like a another victim rather than the perpetrator.

As for it’s form, the beast looks like a cross between a wolf and a shark. It perfectly embodies vicious, efficient, killing power and primal instinct. In the scene where it looks like a little dog, it’s coming to Guts in a harmless, friendly, almost comical form; a parody of itself. It’s trying to manipulate Guts by seemingly just telling him what’s best for him. The Beast is acting as Guts’ humble servant, literally, “man’s best friend.” Of course, it reveals it’s true nature in short time. On the other hand, in the scenes where it controls Guts; the beast is massive and unstoppable, it’s hatred and ferocity seemingly endless.

Also, I think the parallel to the Beast’s friendly dog form and Gambino’s dog is worth noting. I only think it’s significant when you look at how Guts’ and Gambino now parallel each other on the whole. Also, if you look at Guts’ issues with his childhood in Volume 9; it seems the very origins of the Beast may lie with Guts’ relationship with Gambino.

-Griffith

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Griffith said:
Also, I think the parallel to the Beast’s friendly dog form and Gambino’s dog is worth noting. I only think it’s significant when you look at how Guts’ and Gambino now parallel each other on the whole. Also, if you look at Guts’ issues with his childhood in Volume 9; it seems the very origins of the Beast may lie with Guts’ relationship with Gambino.
Damn you! I was going to suggest the relation to Gambino >:( If I am not mistaken, didn't Gambino once refer to guts as "The dog who always followed me around"?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gutzs said:
Damn you! I was going to suggest the relation to Gambino >:( If I am not mistaken, didn't Gambino once refer to guts as "The dog who always followed me around"?
Might as well point out that regarding the Dragon Slayer, there's "something strange about it".

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Walter said:
Might as well point out that regarding the Dragon Slayer, there's "something strange about it".
Not sure whether that was a dig at my comment, or something relevant.

Actually you're all wrong i'm really just a symbiot fed up with my life in America (perhaps you know of my work i did a buudy routine in Newyork we were called Venom) anyways so i gets to this place Midland right and i tells yeah what a pit so anyways i assimulate this dog right and this parts great, this big guy with a huge sword comes stumblin along well i tells ya i knew it was destiney so i've been following this poor sap around for months now..ahem later

Top Bottom