Pieces of art vs "simple toys"

i created this post because i guess many of you go through this like me. We collect very expensive pieces obiously because we like berserk story, but for someone who is not interested in manga or anime find it ridiculous to spend such an insane amount of money on what they see as simple toys (at least in my experience), and i guess this kind of products walk that thin line between pieces of art and simple toys, been based on lets say a cartoon or a comic story makes them seem like simple toys to most people, but for me this kind of products are more of piece of art because of their creation proccess, they are hand sculpted and hand pianted individualy with an insane detail proper of an artisane, and thas actually the proccess of a piece of art, right?

I don't really see the debate here. I mean, those who say berserk statues or other statues are toys are just retarded, there's no debate about that point.

A toy is made to play with. To put it in your hands, to be shaken, or any other action. It's made to me moved and touched. Statues are nothing else than sculptures.
So basically no one would judge another one by spending huge amounts of money to buy a beautiful sculpture ? And since beautiful is a subjective concept, I don't really see the debate as I said.

I know this, more my friend say same things :( BAKA, I don´t already have energy respond ...

Theoden: perfect + 1

No one who don´t collect any things don´t understand ...

I have this same problem all of my friends including my girlfriend call them toys and tell me I'm wasting my money no matter how many times i try explain that there statues and the rarity of them :judo: :mozgus: :judo: some people just don't understand <sigh>

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I have a few statues of random anime things and a slew of action figures. I usually let the "toys" thing slide. Because the second I start explaining, "NO THESE ARE STATUES" or "THESE ARE COLLECTIBLES," I start sounding like I'm nuts. "Uh, okay, weirdo. Nice statues of cartoon characters."

If you're particular about what people call your collection, they should be corrected. I just don't like making a fuss or getting in arguments. I don't really care enough to try to explain to some people that I'm not weird for owning figures of Japanese cartoon characters. My close friends already "get it" anyway and I think that's good enough.

RabidChimera said:
I have this same problem all of my friends including my girlfriend call them toys and tell me I'm wasting my money no matter how many times i try explain that there statues and the rarity of them :judo: :mozgus: :judo: some people just don't understand <sigh>

Ouch, thats harsh bro. Now that I think about it I´ve only shown my collection to a few people cause my apartment is pretty much close to non existent in size so theres not that much space for people to reside, more than one person and it feels almost claustrofobic. And tbh I have my suspicions about the people around me so by hearing your story maybe I should count myself lucky :iva:

I've been going through this for years , my friends see new pieces I get and start bitching about my "toys" . Really i think people just have to have something to make fun and its probably easier to make fun of something than to try understanding it . The best part is my friends who like some of my pieces but other times will make fun of my collecting especially when others are around . I collect many other anime based statues , pvc's, and figures , and have been since a young age so now i dont even bother with the argument . The really funny thing is how basically all my friends like my batman black and white collection yet most of them ( non-anime/berserk fans ) dont like the others simply because they know who batman is but not guts or kenshin , so thus the batman pieces are collectible statues and the rest are "toys" lol . Just be proud of your collection and your hobby of collecting and say f**k the rest of the b/s that comes with it .

Top Bottom