Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Fire-Emblem-Awakening.jpg

Fire Emblem: Awakening is only 5 days away from being released (in NA), and apparently the street date has been broken in Canada so if you live there you can already pick it up. I'm curious as to whats everyone's thoughts on this game/series? Its getting pretty good reviews across the board. I've always found FE to be primo in the SRPG market. I think this game will be a much needed addition to the 3DS library.

If you don't have a 3DS yet, now would be a good time as there is a special 3DS FE bundle!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/14/fire-emblem-awakening-3ds-bundle-retails-for-200/

Hot stuff.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I like the series a lot and will be looking forward to this title whenever it gets released in Europe (April).

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I really really badly wish I had a 3DS for this right now. FE is one of my favorite franchises. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For those who have experience with the franchise, should I play on Classic (permanent death for non main characters after they die in battle) or Casual (you can resurrect them).

I'd rather do casual, just because the alternative is me restarting any battle that I lose... But maybe there's an argument to be made about playing it honestly and moving on with the loss of a character that you like.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
That's a hard choice actually... my gut says "Classic" but then I remember all the times I reset the game over a character dying... :troll:

It's a weird feeling, I'm angry that they'd include a "Casual" mode but I think I'd end up picking it. Kinda like how I feel about fast travel, map markers, and all that in Oblivion/Skyrim or the important item highlighter in Deus Ex: HR.

I don't think I'm helping much, sorry. :iva:

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Dar Klink said:
It's a weird feeling, I'm angry that they'd include a "Casual" mode but I think I'd end up picking it.

Don't feel bad about it, I too will be picking casual mode, as i know i will just restart the mission as soon as one character dies. So just save yourself the time. I'm gonna do my best to make sure they don't die, but I'm not gonna lose an hour of play just cause near the end of my "successful" skirmish one of my characters gets one-shotted. It will also be my first FE, I specifically stayed away cause of the perma-death, so I for one take no shame. Maybe on a second run through I'll go classic, but i doubt it!

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Perma-death is a staple of the FE series though, it makes things so much more tense and carefully planned. I'm psyched for this, I've been a fan of FE for years.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Viral Harvest said:
Perma-death is a staple of the FE series though, it makes things so much more tense and carefully planned. I'm psyched for this, I've been a fan of FE for years.

Maybe I just find it easier to do so cause I'm not very invested in the FE world. So maybe going forward I will change me tune, provided this game grabs me (I'm sure it will).

Walter said:
For those who have experience with the franchise, should I play on Classic (permanent death for non main characters after they die in battle) or Casual (you can resurrect them).

I'd rather do casual, just because the alternative is me restarting any battle that I lose... But maybe there's an argument to be made about playing it honestly and moving on with the loss of a character that you like.

Tough call...

If its anything like past FE's, you will become much more vested in the characters if you play it on Classic, because you're not going to want to let a single person perish. However I've read that there is no quick way to restart a mission once you fuck it up, so you're looking at wasted time loading, re-watching cutscenes etc..

The game is not forgiving at all though, so if you don't like that, play Casual. I would recommend just jumping into the fire and running with it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
After reading quite a bit, I've decided: Classic mode. Because it's how it was designed to be played, and I can see it becoming too easy later down the line if I can just chuck kamikaze characters at the wall knowing I can revive them at the end of the round. Maybe it'll take longer, but it sounds like the only legit way to play this game.

I've called around and no store in my area has broken the release date. :judo:

I've called around and all the Gamestops say the same thing:

They're allowed to sell it whenever they get it, which could be anywhere between now and the 8th..

The game might have been undershipped, as it was originally scheduled for Monday the 4th. Even Amazon has a notice regarding shipping delays for this game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Classic is the only way. It's what gives the series its difficulty. You might win a terribly tough map and lose a single guy, others having barely scrapped by. You can't be sure a replay will end up any better. And yet, this guy is now forever gone (and chances are you liked him and he was pretty strong too), his storyline, his relationships with the others... It can be very frustrating, not going to lie, but then when you pull off a bold move, it's a real victory. Honestly I'm almost offended they've included a "casual" mode.

frankencowx said:
However I've read that there is no quick way to restart a mission once you fuck it up, so you're looking at wasted time loading, re-watching cutscenes etc..

Yeah, it's not designed with replaying failed missions in mind. You're supposed to live with your mistakes.

This is the first time I've ever played Fire Emblem as well, and it's fantastic. I love the strategy RPG genre and this feels like a solid game. I like how they added different modes for all ranges of players; I find myself playing classic a lot and enjoy the thrill of keeping my characters alive through battle. :guts:

Walter said:
I will be purchasing as soon as it's out. Loved the demo, and this is my first FE game.

You should definitely try out Fire Emblem Path of Radiance for the GameCube. It's by far my favorite Fire Emblem, it's got a lot of great and useful characters, it's hard to pick and choose who you want to take to battle. :serpico:

Aazealh said:
Yeah, it's not designed with replaying failed missions in mind. You're supposed to live with your mistakes.

Yup, once a character dies you can't get them back, not like in Shining Force.

And the game is available now in the NA eShop. Still no sign of physical copies in stores yet.

slan69 said:
Yup, once a character dies you can't get them back, not like in Shining Force.

Love me some Shining Force. Wish they'd make a new one with more traditional mechanics, not that Neo stuff.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I ended up ordering on Amazon. I'm not going to visit a GameStop if I don't have to... Game should arrive by Wed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Target is the only store that has them right now in case anyone is wondering.
Shit man, now im thinking about canceling my Amazon preorder... there's still a chance I can snag it locally before it ships...!

It's pretty incredible how undershipped this product is given the demand for it. I know it's an S-RPG afterall, but everywhere I'm reading about shortages of supply. I hope it sells well!

Walter said:
Shit man, now im thinking about canceling my Amazon preorder... there's still a chance I can snag it locally before it ships...!

It's pretty incredible how undershipped this product is given the demand for it. I know it's an S-RPG afterall, but everywhere I'm reading about shortages of supply. I hope it sells well!

Yeah I'm not really sure whats going on with the release of this game. All retailers are confused about when its supposed to arrive and release, release dates have changed, Canada's early release. Its nuts. It looks like most Targets got around 3-5 copies, however some are sticking to some arbitrary Wednesday street date, while others are selling them as of yesterday. Double check that they'll sell before you go!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeeep... sold out everywhere in my area. I saw the empty display for it at Target and asked an older guy if they had it in the back store. "Three fellas like you came asking for it and that's all we had."

We should've expected this, because Fire Emblem did not have a showing at E3. If you remember, Reggie just mentioned in passing of the show floor to Kotaku. So it was not a part of their big title lineup. One of E3's biggest functions is showing major retailers what the big titles are going to be for the year. And if it's not part of the lineup, it's probably not going to be perceived as a potential big seller to retailers.

It should have been a red flag though when Reffie accidentally dropped that bombshell that FE was headed to the US, and it was welcomed warmly. Just another one of Nintendo's fuck ups in marketing...

So grab up copies if you can, otherwise there's always the eShop. I'll probably wait for Amazon to ship mine. The game takes up too much space to warrant a download.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Have you tried Best Buy yet? Most Best Buys in my state have them now.
It's available to "ship to store" (3-5 days wait).

So I've decided to just buy an extra 8GB SD card, and download it. Now I can play it at least by the end of the day. :ubik:

Top Bottom